Democratic National Convention **live commentary thread**
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:50:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Democratic National Convention **live commentary thread**
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 67
Author Topic: Democratic National Convention **live commentary thread**  (Read 44714 times)
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #550 on: July 25, 2016, 07:14:52 PM »

Where is the Border Patrol?

Speak English we are in America. The average person doesn't speak Spanish

Honestly you're being quite rude. There was Spanish at the RNC too, you know.
I didn't hear any.

The Hispanic legislator from Kentucky.
Alvarado? I didn't hear his speech.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #551 on: July 25, 2016, 07:14:58 PM »

I hope i don't jinx it but today has really turned around. We owe the Sanders campaign, along with the great speakers, a great deal. Lets hope the rest of the night and the coming week continues to keep the pace.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #552 on: July 25, 2016, 07:15:23 PM »

I can't believe it took identity politics to shut up the Green Tea Party crowd.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #553 on: July 25, 2016, 07:16:22 PM »

The exploitation of the Hispanic girl's story was a bit much. Trump is terrible on immigration, but that doesn't justify stuff like that.
Compared to the mother of a man killed at Benghazi, that's hardly exploitation.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #554 on: July 25, 2016, 07:16:26 PM »

The exploitation of the Hispanic girl's story was a bit much. Trump is terrible on immigration, but that doesn't justify stuff like that.

I agree.

It just felt forced.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #555 on: July 25, 2016, 07:16:58 PM »

Sooooo many people falling for Classic Conservative's bait. Sad!
I offered him the chance to become a living meme. He declined.

That's not something you're offered everyday. Can't imagine why he declined.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #556 on: July 25, 2016, 07:17:09 PM »

These people are driven by it. We are talking about people who tend to fit the bill as SJW's.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #557 on: July 25, 2016, 07:17:32 PM »

Sooooo many people falling for Classic Conservative's bait. Sad!
I offered him the chance to become a living meme. He declined.

That's not something you're offered everyday. Can't imagine why he declined.
Presumably, because he's serious.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #558 on: July 25, 2016, 07:17:44 PM »

I wonder if the abundance of Americans prone to being discriminated against serves the double purpose of both showing solidarity with those groups as well as wagging a finger at the "meh, we can risk Trump to teach the Dems a lesson" people.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #559 on: July 25, 2016, 07:18:01 PM »

I mean Trump literally wants to deport her parents how dare she speak at the convention.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #560 on: July 25, 2016, 07:18:51 PM »

I can see that, but she was an amazing public speaker for an 11 year old.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #561 on: July 25, 2016, 07:18:53 PM »

not sure how they are going to handle time management. Bernie was supposed to go on about an hour from now but he was moved to the closing spot.  Now they have Michelle Obama, Elizabeth Warren and Bernie all in the final hour, plus both Warren and Sanders have speakers introducing them.  And there are there is only one more speaker immigration-issue speaker listed on the CSPAN schedule and then nothing until 10pm.

Are they going to move Michelle into the 9pm-10pm hour? If not, they are probably going to have a big gap before 10 and then go over past 11.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #562 on: July 25, 2016, 07:19:17 PM »

Why do you need to compare this to the RNC? Exploitation is exploitation.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #563 on: July 25, 2016, 07:21:57 PM »

Upper middle class white folks from the North and the West love a good minority sob story. What else did you expect?
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #564 on: July 25, 2016, 07:22:07 PM »

I'm comparing exploitation to exploitation. If you want, I could use Superfly as an example instead.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #565 on: July 25, 2016, 07:24:13 PM »

Things have seemed to have locked in pretty well here over the past couple hours. Hopefully it finishes strong.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #566 on: July 25, 2016, 07:24:27 PM »

I'm comparing exploitation to exploitation. If you want, I could use Superfly as an example instead.

But why compare it at all? Just don't exploit people. The decision to do so shouldn't be based on whether the Republicans did it first.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #567 on: July 25, 2016, 07:25:35 PM »

Her story is real, and it's not unique to her.  There's thousands of families in the same situation.

It would be exploitation, if we had reason to believe that Hillary has no intention of doing anything to help them, or worse, actually wanting to deport them.  AFAIK, there's no evidence of that though.  There's real differences between the campaigns on immigration.  I don't see why it's bad to acknowledge that with actual stories from real people.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #568 on: July 25, 2016, 07:25:59 PM »

Haven't seen much on this thread, other than the usual Hillary hacks freaking out blaming everything on Bernie, and the Republican hacks rubbing their hands.

What is neglected is the fundamentals that the Democratic Party is deeply divided regarding foreign and economic policy, over decades of poor decisions going back to the early 1990s and the time of the DLC.

We saw NAFTA rammed down our throat supported by a Democratic President, where the vast majority our Senators and Reps voted against.

Personally, I saw (500) jobs disappear virtually overnight in a (9,000 employee) manufacturing facility of a Fortune 500 company where I worked, where the starting pay was $11.50-13.50/Hour (DOE) back in the mid '90s, including two friends that worked on those lines. Subsequently, the same company shut down virtually all manufacturing lines and relocated them to Ireland, Puerto Rico, and Singapore, and several thousand more high paying manufacturing jobs (Including management, engineers, sales and marketing, etc...) in order to take advantage of corporate tax loopholes.

These stories exist across America, and yes the Democratic Party at senior levels was responsible for that trade agreement.

Is it any wonder that Donald Trump has made this a major issue, when it appears for many Democratic voters that the Party is so much in favor of "Free Trade" without providing "Fair Trade" that actually provides the labor and environmental protections, job retraining and education policies that were promised when the Democratic Party DLC (Now thankfully retired) chose to go that route???

I know many posters on this forum, including a huge number of red avatars, don't actually remember what happened because they are too young, nor saw friends, family, and even communities impacted by the destruction caused by a Neo-Corporatist vision as part of a giant "race to the bottom" based upon a Globalist vision that appears to care more about Wall Street investors where everything is Profit/Loss and not about investing in America Inc....

Don't blame Bernie for actually speaking the truth when it comes to the collusion of *both* political parties in the selling out of America to the highest bidder.

I'm an Independent. I agree with you on some of your things. I do believe that NAFTA has cost jobs and I am not for the TPP. However, taxing Wall Street to eternity will cost jobs. You can't destroy Wall Street and expect economic prosperity.

We can agree and disagree regarding increasing marginal tax rates on higher-income Americans, as well as increased means testing of Social Security/Medicare/Medicaid.

I do believe that a slight tax on wall street speculation could well be a positive scenario.

Personally, my preference would be to mandate that US based companies actually pay real corporate taxes for all of their assets, instead of hiding behind laws that protect US companies based oversees from repatriation of corporate profits.

Quite frankly, I wouldn't mind the US lowering corp tax rates significantly to make it more competitive with Ireland, Singapore, etc in exchange for MNCs with Corp HQs based in America to not hide and stash capital overseas.

I would happily exchange a decrease in Federal Corp Tax in exchange for massive shutoffs in Corp loopholes, marginal increases for Americans making $250k/Yr income scaled to impact those at much higher income brackets, and penalties/rewards for large MNCs re-investing their profits into the USA and not only complying but supporting wage increases for employees, with minimal subsidies from tax payers in the communities that they are looking at expanding.

OK.... will settle for a little less, but with negotiations you always start high and settle lower. Wink
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #569 on: July 25, 2016, 07:26:35 PM »

But why compare it at all? Just don't exploit people. The decision to do so shouldn't be based on whether the Republicans did it first.
On the scale of exploitation, it's pretty minimal. That's my point. Her mother probably should've spoken on her hopes and dreams, to be sure. I just don't see how it's comparable to other acts of exploiting people for political gain.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #570 on: July 25, 2016, 07:28:44 PM »

On the scale of exploitation, it's pretty minimal. That's my point. Her mother probably should've spoken on her hopes and dreams, to be sure. I just don't see how it's comparable to other acts of exploiting people for political gain.
The mother might've but it was in Spanish.
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

« Reply #571 on: July 25, 2016, 07:28:49 PM »

What time does Michelle Obama speak?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #572 on: July 25, 2016, 07:29:30 PM »

Her story is real, and it's not unique to her.  There's thousands of families in the same situation.

It would be exploitation, if we had reason to believe that Hillary has no intention of doing anything to help them, or worse, actually wanting to deport them.  AFAIK, there's no evidence of that though.  There's real differences between the campaigns on immigration.  I don't see why it's bad to acknowledge that with actual stories from real people.

Presenting a story about real people and writing a script for an 11-year-old to say onstage are two vastly different things.  You could tell the girl didn't even understand what was going on with her parents' situation. She just said what the campaign/party told her to say, and that's what I have an issue with.
anthonyjg
anty1691

Political Matrix
E: -8.52, S: -7.48

« Reply #573 on: July 25, 2016, 07:30:14 PM »

What time does Michelle Obama speak?
Between 10 and 11 ET
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #574 on: July 25, 2016, 07:31:21 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Beautiful! Thank you Philly weather!

LMAO.

Too bad, I'm sure it's the only time many of those attendees would've gotten a shower in weeks.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 67  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies