Democratic National Convention **live commentary thread**
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 15, 2024, 11:47:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Democratic National Convention **live commentary thread**
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 67
Author Topic: Democratic National Convention **live commentary thread**  (Read 44321 times)
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1075 on: July 26, 2016, 10:02:49 AM »

Talks Underway for Bernie to Nominate Hillary at Roll Call
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1076 on: July 26, 2016, 10:08:32 AM »

That would be something, wouldn't it.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #1077 on: July 26, 2016, 10:14:28 AM »

I'm not sure if some Sanders delegates realize that this isn't a contested convention, so they might throw a fit if that happens. As we saw during the primaries, many of them were not well versed on the rules.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1078 on: July 26, 2016, 10:21:02 AM »

I'm not sure if some Sanders delegates realize that this isn't a contested convention, so they might throw a fit if that happens. As we saw during the primaries, many of them were not well versed on the rules.

Or maths. Or black people.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #1079 on: July 26, 2016, 10:21:43 AM »

It'll be a small minority, similar to so called "social justice warriors".
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #1080 on: July 26, 2016, 10:29:47 AM »

They really have to be careful with this vote. If they halt it right away, the busters will feel like they are being silenced. If they let it go too far/all the way to the end, the busters will probably be so fired up that they will boo the final result. They should only let Bernie stop the tallying and nominate Hillary if the tone of the hall indicates it will go over generally well. I am not really looking forward to this moment because this will be the raucous ***holes last stand, so they are going to make a scene of it.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #1081 on: July 26, 2016, 10:31:37 AM »

Whose fault is it again that they think it's a contested convention? Roll Eyes
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1082 on: July 26, 2016, 10:36:56 AM »

Apparently Bill's speech tonight might be longer than an hour. This'll be good. Hopefully he plays the sax.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #1083 on: July 26, 2016, 10:38:11 AM »

Apparently Bill's speech tonight might be longer than an hour. This'll be good. Hopefully he plays the sax.

I hope he devotes a section to explicitly battling the claims of Berners.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #1084 on: July 26, 2016, 10:39:44 AM »

That's the last thing the Democrats need right now. This convention should be about bridging the gap between Clinton and Sanders supporters, you're being ridiculous.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #1085 on: July 26, 2016, 11:04:59 AM »

Apparently a Sanders delegate from Texas just voluntarily withdrew his credentials after "condemning" Hillary Clinton.

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/6-memorable-quotes-from-michelle-obamas-speech/nr5GL/
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #1086 on: July 26, 2016, 11:14:46 AM »

They really have to be careful with this vote. If they halt it right away, the busters will feel like they are being silenced. If they let it go too far/all the way to the end, the busters will probably be so fired up that they will boo the final result. They should only let Bernie stop the tallying and nominate Hillary if the tone of the hall indicates it will go over generally well. I am not really looking forward to this moment because this will be the raucous ***holes last stand, so they are going to make a scene of it.

Bernie Sanders said in his speech: "I look forward to your votes during the roll call tomorrow!" So while he may/may not cut off the last few states, they're not going to halt it early on.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1087 on: July 26, 2016, 11:17:58 AM »

Bill should keep as low profile as possible. There's already an annoying and demeaning tendency to treat Hillary and Bill almost like one and the same person, at least politically, which isn't a good thing for her campaign.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1088 on: July 26, 2016, 11:19:56 AM »

I just hope he can go that long without collapsing.  He really does not look good.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #1089 on: July 26, 2016, 11:21:05 AM »

Twitter is hardly a reliable source, but there are some people claiming that there won't be a roll call on the floor and that the vote was done at a breakfast this morning. That could just be people misrepresenting the situation, though.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1090 on: July 26, 2016, 11:21:58 AM »

I just hope he can go that long without collapsing.  He really does not look good.

Now that you mention this, he aged... significantly.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #1091 on: July 26, 2016, 11:23:10 AM »

Update: King noted two possibilities on TV.

1) Bernie places her name into nomination/seconds it at the beginning. This doesn't stop the roll call, it's actually done before it even begins - it's the official declaration of her eligibility to receive votes in the roll call. Chris Collins was one of the people who did this for Trump last week.

2) When we get to the VT delegation, which is close to the end (after a lot of votes for Sanders), Sanders will motion for suspension of the roll call and nomination for Hillary by acclamation.

Twitter is hardly a reliable source, but there are some people claiming that there won't be a roll call on the floor and that the vote was done at a breakfast this morning. That could just be people misrepresenting the situation, though.

No, that's not true.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1092 on: July 26, 2016, 11:23:40 AM »

Bernie Sanders said in his speech: "I look forward to your votes during the roll call tomorrow!" So while he may/may not cut off the last few states, they're not going to halt it early on.

IIRC, In 2008 a bunch of states ceded their votes to New York, which then had Hillary do her "vote by acclamation" bit. Since Vermont is so late in the alphabet, I suppose you can let it get to one state short of clinching, then have all the other states cede to Vermont (at this point, the most die-hard of the die-hards would see that if Bernie really really wanted to, he could use all those ceded votes to try to overthrow the Clinton candidacy) and then have him push for vote by acclamation. I don't know if it's the best way to do it, but if they really want to have Bernie do it, that's probably the best way I can think of.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1093 on: July 26, 2016, 11:27:31 AM »

One thing that has me worried is that the individual state vote totals are almost never exactly what the news networks project, and there's almost always a few extra votes in favor of the eventual nominee - we saw this at the RNC too where Trump got well over the 1500 delegates he was projected to have. Those unfamiliar with convention watching - which I imagine most young people are - are probably going to assume that any fudging of the numbers in the roll call is evidence of corruption, so the DNC is probably best served by trying to keep the vote totals as close to the projected numbers as possible. That being said, this is the DNC, and there's no way they can be that prescient.
skoods
United States

« Reply #1094 on: July 26, 2016, 11:31:40 AM »

I watched last night on the Live feed from the DNC website. Plan on doing that all week as there's no pundits, no opinions, no fluff, and no excess nonsense.
izixs
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.31, S: -6.51

« Reply #1095 on: July 26, 2016, 11:34:59 AM »

IIRC, In 2008 a bunch of states ceded their votes to New York, which then had Hillary do her "vote by acclamation" bit. Since Vermont is so late in the alphabet, I suppose you can let it get to one state short of clinching, then have all the other states cede to Vermont (at this point, the most die-hard of the die-hards would see that if Bernie really really wanted to, he could use all those ceded votes to try to overthrow the Clinton candidacy) and then have him push for vote by acclamation. I don't know if it's the best way to do it, but if they really want to have Bernie do it, that's probably the best way I can think of.

I was under the impression that in 2008 it wasn't 'ceding' votes to the state in question, but ceding the floor instead to allow different states to have the delegate votes for that state and only that state at that moment counted, but the net result was it brought the situation to Clinton so she could move for acclimation. It makes no sense that a state would be handing over their delegate votes to another state's delegates to use as they see fit.
jollyschwa
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -9.04

« Reply #1096 on: July 26, 2016, 11:38:55 AM »

What time is the roll call vote happening?
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1097 on: July 26, 2016, 11:43:52 AM »

I was under the impression that in 2008 it wasn't 'ceding' votes to the state in question, but ceding the floor instead to allow different states to have the delegate votes for that state and only that state at that moment counted, but the net result was it brought the situation to Clinton so she could move for acclimation. It makes no sense that a state would be handing over their delegate votes to another state's delegates to use as they see fit.

Ah. That would make sense.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #1098 on: July 26, 2016, 11:45:36 AM »

I watched last night on the Live feed from the DNC website. Plan on doing that all week as there's no pundits, no opinions, no fluff, and no excess nonsense.

Then watch C-SPAN.
skoods
United States

« Reply #1099 on: July 26, 2016, 11:53:13 AM »

Then watch C-SPAN.

I don't have cable television and therefore cannot watch it. Or atleast couldn't find somewhere that I could.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 67  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies