Democratic National Convention **live commentary thread** (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:39:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Democratic National Convention **live commentary thread** (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Democratic National Convention **live commentary thread**  (Read 45058 times)
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« on: July 25, 2016, 07:17:44 PM »

I wonder if the abundance of Americans prone to being discriminated against serves the double purpose of both showing solidarity with those groups as well as wagging a finger at the "meh, we can risk Trump to teach the Dems a lesson" people.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 08:34:03 PM »

I seriously have to wonder how some of these delegates won their local conventions to go to the DNC.

"Hmm... shall we elect doting Grandmother Doris Fendersen to represent us in Philly or Brad "doucheschnozzle" Trumpstein? Gotta go with the loud one, right guys?"
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 10:22:35 PM »

Bernie's very own Jewel Voice Broadcast.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 10:45:03 PM »

That Vermont delegate was an ABSOLUTE MORON. My god, Bernie wasn't represented tonight? He was disrespected by going last? These Bernie or bust people have NO CLUE what is going on. They are doing him such a disservice.

I'm pretty sure many of them were genuinely under the impression that this was supposed to be a truly contested convention. The fact that people are all giving pro-Hillary speeches is to them just more evidence of the DNC's corruption.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 11:04:59 AM »

Apparently a Sanders delegate from Texas just voluntarily withdrew his credentials after "condemning" Hillary Clinton.

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/6-memorable-quotes-from-michelle-obamas-speech/nr5GL/
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 11:23:40 AM »

They really have to be careful with this vote. If they halt it right away, the busters will feel like they are being silenced. If they let it go too far/all the way to the end, the busters will probably be so fired up that they will boo the final result. They should only let Bernie stop the tallying and nominate Hillary if the tone of the hall indicates it will go over generally well. I am not really looking forward to this moment because this will be the raucous ***holes last stand, so they are going to make a scene of it.

Bernie Sanders said in his speech: "I look forward to your votes during the roll call tomorrow!" So while he may/may not cut off the last few states, they're not going to halt it early on.

IIRC, In 2008 a bunch of states ceded their votes to New York, which then had Hillary do her "vote by acclamation" bit. Since Vermont is so late in the alphabet, I suppose you can let it get to one state short of clinching, then have all the other states cede to Vermont (at this point, the most die-hard of the die-hards would see that if Bernie really really wanted to, he could use all those ceded votes to try to overthrow the Clinton candidacy) and then have him push for vote by acclamation. I don't know if it's the best way to do it, but if they really want to have Bernie do it, that's probably the best way I can think of.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 11:27:31 AM »

One thing that has me worried is that the individual state vote totals are almost never exactly what the news networks project, and there's almost always a few extra votes in favor of the eventual nominee - we saw this at the RNC too where Trump got well over the 1500 delegates he was projected to have. Those unfamiliar with convention watching - which I imagine most young people are - are probably going to assume that any fudging of the numbers in the roll call is evidence of corruption, so the DNC is probably best served by trying to keep the vote totals as close to the projected numbers as possible. That being said, this is the DNC, and there's no way they can be that prescient.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 11:43:52 AM »

They really have to be careful with this vote. If they halt it right away, the busters will feel like they are being silenced. If they let it go too far/all the way to the end, the busters will probably be so fired up that they will boo the final result. They should only let Bernie stop the tallying and nominate Hillary if the tone of the hall indicates it will go over generally well. I am not really looking forward to this moment because this will be the raucous ***holes last stand, so they are going to make a scene of it.

Bernie Sanders said in his speech: "I look forward to your votes during the roll call tomorrow!" So while he may/may not cut off the last few states, they're not going to halt it early on.

IIRC, In 2008 a bunch of states ceded their votes to New York, which then had Hillary do her "vote by acclamation" bit. Since Vermont is so late in the alphabet, I suppose you can let it get to one state short of clinching, then have all the other states cede to Vermont (at this point, the most die-hard of the die-hards would see that if Bernie really really wanted to, he could use all those ceded votes to try to overthrow the Clinton candidacy) and then have him push for vote by acclamation. I don't know if it's the best way to do it, but if they really want to have Bernie do it, that's probably the best way I can think of.

I was under the impression that in 2008 it wasn't 'ceding' votes to the state in question, but ceding the floor instead to allow different states to have the delegate votes for that state and only that state at that moment counted, but the net result was it brought the situation to Clinton so she could move for acclimation. It makes no sense that a state would be handing over their delegate votes to another state's delegates to use as they see fit.

Ah. That would make sense.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 12:57:30 PM »

This is total conjecture, but I imagine people who watch the big three networks are probably less likely to have made their minds up already than those who watch cable news, so it's better to have higher ratings there. Just a hunch.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 01:13:10 PM »

So if the 1924 DNC was the Klanbake, what is this one? I've been trying to come up with a catchy name, and I'm drawing a blank.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2016, 03:46:35 PM »

Is anyone else watching Jill Stein on MSNBC?
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2016, 03:56:20 PM »

Tulsi! I have faith! Don't screw the pooch!
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2016, 04:02:07 PM »

Ladies and gentlemen, your 2024 Democratic presidential nominee.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2016, 04:29:03 PM »

https://www.reddit.com/r/SandersForPresident/comments/4ud1e0/2016_democratic_national_convention_coverage/
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2016, 04:35:50 PM »

Anybody have a map going?
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2016, 04:40:59 PM »

Thanks!
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2016, 04:49:33 PM »

lol Sanders for president is freaking out. I laughed at

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And
You must be logged in to read this quote.
What does that even mean at this point?
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2016, 04:50:47 PM »

That was a sweet moment.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2016, 05:00:44 PM »

Geez, that guy with the Bernie sign.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2016, 05:12:34 PM »

Hey, Nevada! We can see if Sanders managed to get those two extra delegates!
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2016, 05:14:17 PM »

TNVolunteer will love that.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2016, 05:28:34 PM »

The head of the Cherokee Nation doesn't look all that different from Elizabeth Warren, just sayin'.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2016, 05:33:04 PM »

The head of the Cherokee Nation doesn't look all that different from Elizabeth Warren, just sayin'.
Much of the Cherokee Nation is very diluted. I think only 1/4 is the minimum to qualify for membership.
Oh, for sure. But it just shows how stupid the "Warren doesn't look native enough" line is.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2016, 05:34:32 PM »

I wonder what Lincoln Chafee is up to right now.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2016, 05:38:34 PM »

Over the top!
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies