Things Clinton Democrats don't seem to get (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:50:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Things Clinton Democrats don't seem to get (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Things Clinton Democrats don't seem to get  (Read 4568 times)
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« on: July 26, 2016, 08:13:38 AM »

I love how the democrats are making thatcherite/Reagan-like arguments.

It's lovely how privileged liberal whites think they know everything.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 03:35:56 AM »

Right - this is a problem for Democrats politically as well as for the working-class voters who are being hurt by the consequences of this. Also, remember that what drives those voters in the rust belt are not the same, generally, as those in across Appalachia.

Personally, I find the arguments about trade to be bone-headed in their simplicity and their lack of context. But, I know how emotional this issue is. Frankly, I think just showing you're listening can be a vital step in re-building trust. What was interesting is that both Sanders and Trump were so vociferous in their opposition to free-trade and their embracing of protectionism. But, the fact is, while the TPP is not great, the US got one of the better deals out of it. What is the alternative? That's what I don't hear.

For the more socially conservative, I do think for many, this will be a generational shift. There are too many divides with these voters.

Look, I'm a free trader, but the positive economic impact of the TPP will be relatively very minor by most economic estimations compared to other trade agreements (because we already have relatively free trade), and it serves to reinforce the horrible, horrible patent laws on the books for the benefit of established multinational corporations.

I'm also okay with the TPP being used as a bargaining chip to hold hostage a political class that, rather than providing the people screwed by free trade with real, substantive economic equality of opportunity as compensation, instead decides to continue to cut entitlements, cut taxes for the rich, and redistribute wealth upward in a big "F you" to working class people.

Every word, yes.

The problem with free trade is the same as that of technological development.  The downside is very visible (displaced workers), but the upside is nearly invisible.  I have personally eliminated an army of paper clerks because of my occupation.  Which is bad for pen pushers.  But modern computer data processing has enabled the development of services, businesses, and entire industries that would have been impossible without it.  That means jobs, wealth, and prosperity.  And no one is suggesting we ban IS because what about the filing clerks.

It's the same thing with free trade.  Done the right way, not through agreements like the TPP, which is staked in favor of the powerful and special interests.  Even done right, people will lose jobs.  They will need our support.  But the benefits are largely invisible for a long time.

So tell me:  How'd you feel if at age 50, your job was eliminated, moved to Mexico, and you were qualified for your old job, but for nothing else available?  If you were receiving long term "support" but no job, and no dignity, enduring the comments you'd be certain to hear?  Is that the existence you would want for yourself?  All with the knowledge that you did what you were raised to do; you worked, worked faithfully, and put forth an effort with the idea that your faithfulness would be rewarded, at a minimum, by adherence to the Social Contract; is that OK?

I don't know of a kind way to say this, but what is the difference between raising tariffs to protect jobs that can be done for less elsewhere, and just simply raising taxes and giving those people a paycheck and allowing them to do something new?  I mean seriously, what is protectionism but welfare for obsolete jobs?

Give people a chance to do something that the economy needs, rather than artificially preserving jobs.

Because a welfare-jobs sort of country is an ideal one. A country should focus more on job needs, than economy needs. When the place you worked, is being shipped of to Mexico and china, what are you going to do, at 40+ age. Your good paying job is gone, but instead the democrats don't seem to get that, and even if some do, they show contempt towards you and your lifestyle. Why not just learn a new skill, a new trade. When your community is being ruined under a false mammoth of globalization. When you are being called a racist, of opposing illegal immigration, amnesty and wanting controlled borders, and the government seems to be helping them at every cost, with minority focused identity politics, which does nothing to better working class, and in many cases hurts them. When their culture, and traditions are being smeared as, work and duty, are a bad thing, there is no reason to vote for a party, that does not care for your well being, but just claims to care for you, for progressive goals, many which hurt you, but some which do help you.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 06:15:38 AM »

Cough Cough*

The working class can suck my arse, I've got the middle classes vote at last!!!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies