Things Clinton Democrats don't seem to get (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:52:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Things Clinton Democrats don't seem to get (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Things Clinton Democrats don't seem to get  (Read 4599 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« on: July 25, 2016, 01:38:34 PM »
« edited: July 25, 2016, 01:41:05 PM by Virginia »

The current Democratic coalition of ethnic minorities and urban progressives is simply not enough to win elections cycle after cycle. And given the fact that working class whites and union workers are now leaving the party in droves, the Democratic party has to do something fast to fill in that gap. Either by making itself more palatable to working class whites (that doesn't mean becoming the GOP, mind you) or crossing its fingers and hoping that Latinos will start reproducing like rabbits.

I agree that Democrats shouldn't expect minorities to always vote Democratic as they are now, but this is also what I think in general:

1. The non-white share of the electorate is growing at roughly 2% - 3% every 4 years, and this has been consistent for decades. Birthrates do not suggest any halt to this. At this rate, in 20 years, the electorate will be 40% non-white (at 2% growth every 4 years). That is terrible for Republicans any way you spin it.

2. Republicans have not only made no progress on minority outreach, they are literally going even further backwards now and are set to lose the non-white vote by even more than 4 years ago. It's getting to the point where a Democratic presidential candidate can expect almost unanimous support from non-white voters.

3. Republicans have not been able to make any significant inroads with minorities in literally generations. They have only lost more minority groups since the 60s. Not only does Trump not signify a halt to this trend, he signifies an acceleration. Hispanic and Asian Millennials are actually more Democratic than their parents. Only AA Millennials appear to be a tiny bit less Democratic than their elders (by 1% or 2% off the top of my head)

4. I've said it 2180312 times and I'll say it again: Millennials are not going to turn conservative/Republican en masse when they age. They will probably become a little less Democratic, but Democrats already have such huge gaping support from them that even losing support still puts them way over the top. Millennials will most definitely remain a liberal/Democratic generation, just like a majority of silent generation/boomers are Republican.

-

At some point Republicans will find a way in because not doing so means they cease to become a national force. The only future for Republicans is making inroads with minorities. Anyone who thinks Republicans will somehow capture all white voters or even substantially more (15%+) of them is delusional - No data suggests they can do that - Not when Millennial whites are more Democratic than the current older voters giving Republicans their white voter edge.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if minorities give Democrats a huge edge in national politics for at least another generation or more. There is no evidence right now even suggesting a pending migration away from Democrats. It will happen eventually, but to think that it will sharply reverse in the next 20 years is very wishful thinking, imo. It's reasonable for Democrats to bank on this support now, and then they can (and surely will) reevaluate years from now when changes begin to appear.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 02:03:30 PM »

You make good points Virginia, but I think you're overconfident in the party's ability to maintain a coalition for an entire GENERATION. Millennials will likely continue to be a Democratic voting bloc, but it is entirely unrealistic for the Democratic Party to maintain power for an entire generation simply by continuing to do what they have done for the past eight years.

The issue with the modern Republican party lies in its inability to adapt to changing demographics. I just would hate to see the Democratic Party get so overconfident in their current coalition that they fall into the same trap. The DNC is already in the mindset that as long as they continue to pander to the youth and to minorities, but I'm inclined to believe that the party is pretty close to milking the last few drops out of these groups.

I didn't mean to imply that I think Democrats will hold the White House for another 20 years straight (a generation by some standards), but I think minorities will continue to be a reliable voting bloc for that period. Why think otherwise? What has the GOP done to convince me otherwise? Minorities have consistently voted pro-Democratic since the 60s, only with Asians and Muslims being recent recruits to the coalition over the past 15 - 20 years. I'm not going to give the GOP credit until they actually earn it. So far their behavior (more like Trump's I guess) is actually pushing more away. They can't just fix that in one election cycle. Trump may have salted the earth for the GOP for many years with minorities.

As for the youth - I also don't think they will remain as Democratic, but the 18 - 29 bloc that comprises the youth is very racially diverse. This presents a unique problem for Republicans that they didn't have decades ago. If they can't make inroads with minorities, they will continue to perform poorly with that age group. This is something I've been wondering, because the more homogeneous youth vote of the past tended to oscillate between the two parties, depending on which party was rising in the country, but minorities now throw a question mark into that dynamic.

At any rate, as I said before, if Republicans can't fix their minority outreach problem, then they will indeed perform poorly on the national stage. I figure they have a decade to make progress on this issue before they get completely overwhelmed, but, you know, that's just my opinion.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 12:26:12 PM »

Other than that i cant criticise the Roll Eyes. It's just an emoticon.

It's a terrible, two-timing emoticon that reeks of arrogance and self-righteousness. It's clearly aiding and abetting his posts.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies