The Future of Iraq, Afghanistan, and Syria?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:19:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  The Future of Iraq, Afghanistan, and Syria?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: The Future of Iraq, Afghanistan, and Syria?  (Read 2039 times)
palandio

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2016, 05:24:48 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It would certainly damage the US-Russian diplomatic relations. Also by reaching a diplomatic solution Russia would avoid having to clean up the mess alone and get the US and others involved. I think that Putin thinks (and has thought from the beginning) that a purely military solution is not sustainable and for a stable Syria there has to be a political process that includes parts of the opposition and most regional powers. Not because he is a good guy, but because he is intelligent.

How can a democracy work when its main parties can't find a consensus on at least some basic stuff (e.g. the role of the Sharia)? I don't know. That will really be a problem.

I do think so.

Yes, but success of certain groups doesn't need to be uniform across all sectors. Think of Jewish Americans who are, as far as I know, very active in science, finance and entertainment and on average certainly much less represented in many other industries or the military command.
Also some groups like Syria's Sunni majority are far from homogeneous.
Your question was whether the economic elites and middle class in these Syrian cities actually were Sunni Arabs and my answer was yes, mostly. Being underrepresented in military and central government doesn't necessarily mean they're underrepresented in other areas. There are different kinds of elites: military, political, scientific, financial, economic, cultural, medial, etc.

Among certain sub-groups, you mean? I'm not enough informed about this to have a qualified opinion.

I must admit that I've never thought about it this way. But yes, it would be at least somehow hypocritical.

P.S.: I'll participate in you "What, if the Iraq War never happened" question next week, when I hopefully have time again. ;-)
Californiadreaming
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2016, 01:02:41 PM »

How exactly, though? Indeed, why exactly should the U.S. stick its neck out for some Syrian Islamists?

Good point! Smiley

Well, that's why politicians and the people have the ability to pass law, to repeal laws, to pass constitutional amendments, and even to repeal constitutional amendments.

Frankly, democracy certainly allows for debate and for changing the law and the constitution if necessary. Indeed, it simply depends on how popular each idea is.

I do think so.

Do you have a source for this, please?

Yes, but success of certain groups doesn't need to be uniform across all sectors. Think of Jewish Americans who are, as far as I know, very active in science, finance and entertainment and on average certainly much less represented in many other industries or the military command.
Also some groups like Syria's Sunni majority are far from homogeneous.[/quote]

OK.

Thank you very much for sharing this information! Smiley

Among certain sub-groups, you mean?[/quote]

I mean on average.

OK.

I must admit that I've never thought about it this way. But yes, it would be at least somehow hypocritical.[/quote]

Good to hear!

Indeed, it appears that the U.S. and the West certainly aren't always beacons of consistency in regards to their policies. Sad

Thank you very much! Smiley Indeed, I'll certainly be waiting for this response and participation of yours! Smiley
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies