Democratic congressman compares Isreali territory settlers to termites
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:45:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Democratic congressman compares Isreali territory settlers to termites
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Democratic congressman compares Isreali territory settlers to termites  (Read 3462 times)
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2016, 07:25:51 AM »

This is why people question why Jewish voters continue to support the Democratic Party with comments like this.

Because neo-Nazis and anti-Semites tend to be very Republican, and Democrats have a record of sticking up for oppressed groups. As a Jew, albeit not an avidly pro-Israel one, I can safely sayI trust the democratic party more to protect me from hate groups.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2016, 08:22:53 AM »

Is no one capable of discussing this issue without feeling the overwhelming urge to say something offensive? Seriously, I don't get it.

It's called "letting the mask slip". Their hatred for Jews is so intense that they can't discuss the legit issue of the settlements without comparing us to literal insects to be exterminated.

Maybe he'll get primaried from the right like McKinney did and replaced by someone who thinks we're...I don't know, mammals of some kind at least?
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2016, 11:05:36 AM »

What is with communists' hard-on for Palestine
Well you see, part of being a communist is opposing all forms of racism and oppression.

Right, that's why no-one was oppressed in the Soviet Union, huh?
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2016, 11:11:49 AM »

What is with communists' hard-on for Palestine
Well you see, part of being a communist is opposing all forms of racism and oppression.

Right, that's why no-one was oppressed in the Soviet Union, huh?
Capitalist dictatorships have a tendency to oppress people, yes. 
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2016, 11:30:38 AM »

Why do people insist on treating Jews like a monolithic people?  Are Jews not entitled to be treated as a diverse group of people?  If I have one bad experience with someone who happens to be Jewish should I just assume all Jews behave that way?

None of the Jews I know are settlers who have stolen land.  I don't connect the two.  Jewish people around me have enough to deal with without being saddled by the grotesque behavior of people half way around the world.  Stop it with this JJJEEEWWWSSSS stuff.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2016, 11:49:53 AM »

Why do people insist on treating Jews like a monolithic people?  Are Jews not entitled to be treated as a diverse group of people?  If I have one bad experience with someone who happens to be Jewish should I just assume all Jews behave that way?

None of the Jews I know are settlers who have stolen land.  I don't connect the two.  Jewish people around me have enough to deal with without being saddled by the grotesque behavior of people half way around the world.  Stop it with this JJJEEEWWWSSSS stuff.

Spoken like someone who really doesn't understand how anti-semitism operates.

Anti-semites make very clear that every Jew is to pay the price for Israel's sins, or for the sins of individual Jews, or for things that Jews didn't actually do but they're blamed for (like the death of a Rabbi two thousand years ago, for example). In that context, every lie or obscene generalization doesn't just hurt the people it targets.

And Nazi-like comparisons of Jews to vermin inflame anti-Jewish sentiment worldwide. I really couldn't care less if pointing this out upsets people.

We don't have the luxury of being separated from the "bad Jews". Hell rains down on us anyway. Thus, the other side doesn't get the luxury of having their "critiques" separated from their impact on our community.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2016, 12:15:21 PM »

Anti-semites make very clear that every Jew is to pay the price for Israel's

There you go again.  You just can't help yourself.  What about diversity do you not understand?  Criminal land grabbers do not speak for all Israeli people.  There are plenty of people in Israel who have enough problems without having to answer for every single criminal that breaks international law.  Why can you not treat Jews as a diverse group of people?  How many Jews have to tell you, I don't condone this behavior, before you do the decent thing and respect their opinion and grant them the dignity of being treated like individuals?
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2016, 12:34:05 PM »

There you go again.  You just can't help yourself.  What about diversity do you not understand?  Criminal land grabbers do not speak for all Israeli people.  There are plenty of people in Israel who have enough problems without having to answer for every single criminal that breaks international law.  Why can you not treat Jews as a diverse group of people?  How many Jews have to tell you, I don't condone this behavior, before you do the decent thing and respect their opinion and grant them the dignity of being treated like individuals?

And when SJP stops encircling Hillel Houses to intimidate diaspora Jews becuz Israel, we can have that discussion.

Until then, calling Israeli Jews vermin puts all Jews in danger. We can't separate the two out because anti-semites who violently target Jews won't let us.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2016, 01:45:42 PM »

And when SJP stops encircling Hillel Houses...

Sorry man.  I don't know what your word salad is even supposed to mean.  A US Congressman criticized criminals half way around the world some of who are murders.  You ranting about the JJJJEEEWWSSS has no place here.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2016, 03:10:17 PM »

Sorry man.  I don't know what your word salad is even supposed to mean.  A US Congressman criticized criminals half way around the world some of who are murders.  You ranting about the JJJJEEEWWSSS has no place here.

If you don't get why comparing a group of Jewish people (regardless of what they are accused of, and your description is a gross oversimplification) to a destructive household pest that is frequently gassed by exterminators is inherently anti-semitic, you never will.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2016, 08:00:15 PM »

Very misleading title, he didn't do it at the DNC.

Not sure why this post was "modified for excessive hyperbole," but whatever.  Not sure how the mods modified it either, tbh Tongue  Weird.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2016, 10:25:35 PM »

As a Jew, I'd like to ask people in this thread to stop speaking for me, and stop acting like all Jews are special snowflakes who can't be criticized for their actions.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2016, 04:10:39 PM »

But some, you assume, are good people.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2016, 04:39:41 PM »

As a Jew, I'd like to ask people in this thread to stop speaking for me, and stop acting like all Jews are special snowflakes who can't be criticized for their actions.
Californiadreaming
United States

« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2016, 04:46:33 PM »

What an idiot! Sad Indeed, one can certainly criticize Jewish Israeli settlers without dehumanizing them.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2016, 11:13:31 PM »

I can kind of see how comparing them to termites is a bit extreme, but I also have to say that if it were any other ethnicity/religion (particularly Muslims), people wouldn't be reacting nearly as strongly to this.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies