Do you like the French language or the German language better?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:31:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Do you like the French language or the German language better?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Do you like the French language or the German language better?
French language

German language

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 47

Author Topic: Do you like the French language or the German language better?  (Read 766 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2016, 11:45:54 PM »

I like French better but more literature that I like is in German (although I like plenty of literature in both).
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2016, 01:06:33 AM »

Well no, that'd be Italian or Spanish, if anything.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2016, 08:59:30 AM »

German. It is easier and I learned it during my time as a student in Constance.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2016, 08:23:43 AM »

I don't like French mostly because the teacher I had for Standard Grade French was awful and incompetent and actually put me off learning other languages for a few years (the guy I had in the first few years of High Schools owned though, I actually was sad when he left which you really shouldn't be at that age) and it wasn't until I had a summer exchange in, of all places, Lithuania where I got my enthusiasm back for it since I found learning Lithuanian to be really interesting: especially since learning a language when you are in a place is very different to doing it at school since you actually get to use it semi-regularly.  I'll probably have to try and re-teach myself as much French as I can though: I'm on a reserve list for an internship in either Brussels or Luxembourg, in both French is one of the official languages and although English is spoken very well in both I always like to have a language of the place I'm going available just in case I find someone with no English, and I also think that its respectful to at least attempt to communicate with someone in their language before switching to English; even if its saying something like "Parlez-vous Anglais?" and then not quite knowing what to do when the answer is no.  Certainly makes more sense to try to pick that back up that going for Flemish or German or Luxembourgish...

I actually quite like the way that Lithuanian works: it and Latvian are their own wee language family (the only two Baltic languages to survive) although they are similar to slavic languages, in that they rely on lots of rules that seem a bit odd but generally don't deviate from them that much.  A few of the different letters confused me a bit (although "ch" didn't, mostly because there are a few Scots words that have that sound like "loch" and that is helpful) along with the whole cases thing which is something that is probably a bit odd to everyone coming from a language that doesn't have them.  I also think that it sounds nice as well; its not as harsh as some slavic languages can be at times.  I attempted to learn Polish and quickly gave up: it seems to have both the more confusing elements of other slavic languages and an almost English-like love of random exceptions which is annoying really: although it is meant to be one of the hardest languages in the world to learn...
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2016, 08:45:46 AM »

German was easy to learn and since I'm 1/4 German i like being able to speak it, even if I've lost a lot of it. French was really hard but I love how it sounds and I love speaking it.

So, French,
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies