Hillary Was A Goldwater Girl
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:11:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Hillary Was A Goldwater Girl
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Hillary Was A Goldwater Girl  (Read 4255 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2016, 03:13:03 PM »

https://youtu.be/gutCFMc5khY
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2016, 03:26:57 PM »

At least Hillary wasn't a Family Guy fan.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2016, 04:22:21 PM »

At least Hillary wasn't a Family Guy fan.
Now that is unforgivable.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2016, 04:35:06 PM »

Hillary Clinton used to be a Goldwater Girl

OMG.  NO!!!!!!!!!

Next you'll be telling us that Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger was Hitlerjugend before he was pope. 
Cruzcrew
Paleocon
United States

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2016, 05:33:11 PM »

Why are her political views from half a century ago relevant today? Its one thing to bring up something from 2008 but from the 60s is a stretch.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2016, 05:38:19 PM »

BREkinG NYOozzzeee!!!!11!1!1!!!!1!11!!!111!
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2016, 11:43:07 PM »

Hysterically enough a certain obsessive mental midget with an I-CA avatar and an unpronounceable display name actually considered this relevant and attacked her over it along with the hordes of other "But Hillary!" things he frothingly raved about.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2016, 11:53:26 PM »

So what? That was literally generations ago. People change, especially after 40+ years. A person's youth is a volatile time for crafting a worldview.

So does that imply that Democrats have no sense of responsibility and community? I mean I get why you posted that pic but it doesn't actually prove that at all, unless you somehow interpret responsibility and community as [insert smorgasbord of conservative/Republican policy items]
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2016, 12:51:20 AM »

No, Dinesh says stupid things like "Hillary was influenced by Saul Alinsky in high school. Even though later she was a Goldwater Girl, obviously now Alinsky is her mentor, not Goldwater."
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2016, 12:55:10 AM »

Yours truly had a stint as a member of the GOP once upon a time. Admittedly I was like Lincoln Chafee, where if you looked at what I stood for, I'd been a Democrat the entire time.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2016, 10:22:29 AM »

http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/stories/1999/11/09/trump.rich/index.html?_s=PM:ALLPOLITICS

November 9, 1999
Web posted at: 6:24 p.m. EST (2324 GMT)

NEW YORK (CNN) -- Billionaire businessman Donald Trump has a plan to pay off the national debt, grant a middle class a tax cut, and keep Social Security afloat: tax rich people like himself.

Trump, a prospective candidate for the Reform Party presidential nomination, is proposing a one-time "net worth tax" on individuals and trusts worth $10 million or more.
Framing The Issues

By Trump's calculations, his proposed 14.25 percent levy on such net worth would raise $5.7 trillion and wipe out the debt in one full swoop.
Californiadreaming
United States

« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2016, 05:01:26 PM »

Barry Goldwater was:
-Pro Choice
-Pro Gay Rights
-Strongly Disliked Evangelicals

He was pretty radical for his time, not just for economic views.
Out of curiosity--did Barry Goldwater believe that abortion should be a state issue or did he support Roe v. Wade?

He supported Roe v. Wade, because in his view it kept the government out of making private medical decisions.
So, in other words, we wasn't too big on states' rights, correct?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2016, 05:03:33 PM »

Topic of the year?
Sir Tiki
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.28, S: -4.70

« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2016, 08:28:10 PM »

Barry Goldwater was:
-Pro Choice
-Pro Gay Rights

Out of curiosity--did Barry Goldwater believe that abortion should be a state issue or did he support Roe v. Wade?

He supported Roe v. Wade, because in his view it kept the government out of making private medical decisions.

Not really, as far as I can tell. I mean "states rights" was the argument he used against the Civil Rights Act and he did believe that the states were better at solving problems than the federal government, but it was more in a uniform libertarian sense and not just a "let the states decide every issue" localization sense.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2016, 09:11:09 PM »

Can people change views over the course of their lives?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2016, 01:28:10 AM »

There's another poster with an OK avatar you could ask about that.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2016, 09:27:32 AM »
« Edited: July 28, 2016, 09:54:29 AM by Fuzzy Bear »

So what? That was literally generations ago. People change, especially after 40+ years. A person's youth is a volatile time for crafting a worldview.

Pretty sure all of us know at least some older folks that were not the same people in their teens/20s and have differing views, crafted by their experiences in life.

People do change.  I was a McGovern Democrat as a teenager, and a Vietnam War Moratorium protester before I could vote.  I was the youngest member ever of my county's Democratic Committee when I was in high school, befoer I graduated.

That I have become a born-again Christian is NOT the reason I no longer identify myself as a Democrat.  I am registered as a Republican because Florida requires party registration for primary voting, but I have voted Democrats in 7 of 10 Presidential elections, abstaining once (1980) and voting for the GOP twice (Bush 43 in 2000, McCain in 2008).  The antipathy that the Democratic Party exhibits for conservative Christians doesn't help me with them, however.

The main reason is that the Democratic Party has rejected the idea that nuclear families make up the building blocks of civil society and are indispensible for liberal democracy to function as it ought to:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I firmly believe that many of the social policies the Democratic Party has actively advanced in this millenium are policies that actively undermine the seedbed for needed virtues.  We have seen an explosion in single parent families, driven in no small measure by a welfare system that incentivizes NOT marrying and NOT gaining employment, but are those families seedbeds for "independence", "self-restraint", "responsibility", and "right conduct"?  I am all for the safety net, and I voted for Obama in 2012 because Romney (and the dethroned Movement Conservatives) seemed willing to trash the safety net in its entirety for tax cuts, but there has been a dismissal of "family" as a mere wedge issue, and not the reality of family as the institution that makes liberal democracy possible.

The virtues I speak about don't just happen in societies.  A look across the globe ought to confirm that, but some folks only see what they want to see.  And the condition of families in many societies is not what it is (or, at least, was) in America; loyalty is first to tribe and warlord.  Does that produce a society that serves the common weal?  There are alternatives for the traditional nuclear family, but an alternative is not a substitute; often, it's mere "making do" because there isn't a better choice.  Yes, we've had single mothers forever, but Ms. Whithead, whom I've quoted, points out that the main reason for this prior to 1950 was parental mortality.  Today, it's other reasons, and it means that a huge percentage of kids are growing up in family units with at least one adult living in the household that is NOT the parent and whose vestiture in the child(ren) in that household is questionable.  (Any family counselor will tell you that the single largest bloc of families they work with, if not a majority, is with blended families and problematic stepfamilies, which includes a parent having a sexual partner who is not the parent and is not married to the parent.)

There are many folks who are rightly divorced, who need to be divorced, whose situation was legitimately intolerable and toxic.  There are many women who have become pregnant by men who were deceitful, who were not capabable of commitment, and who have been kicked to the curb.  There is a difference, however, between folks who are in situations where they have been exploited or deceived and folks who had children or fathered children knowing that they were not going to be raising or supporting those children, and that is different.  I don't want a government that regulates that behavior with a heavy-handed jackboot; except for abortion (which kills another human being), I DO want the government out of people's medical decisions.  But I also don't want a political party that I might choose to call MY party to be passively OK with this, even if they know better, because of the demands of mass constituencies within that party to look the other way at how the fabric of our civil society is being undermined.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2016, 10:01:26 AM »

Barry Goldwater was:
-Pro Choice
-Pro Gay Rights

Abortion wasn't even an issue in 1964.

Goldwater was something of a libertarian Republican; the closest thing to it besides Ron Paul.  In retirement, he actually endorsed Democrat Karan English for Congress in a 1992 Arizona Congressional race versus Doug Wead, a Bush Administration Religious Right figure and a motivational speaker, and some of this was a reaction to Pat Buchanan's Culture Wars speech at the 1992 GOP convention.  Goldwater valued INDIVIDUAL rights over the rights of government, even states, and was consistent in this.  I wouldn't want Barry Goldwater for my Pastor, but I wouldn't want the Republican Party to become my church, either.
Lothal1
Rookie
United States

« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2016, 10:59:57 AM »

Barry was libertarian. He opposed the law because he believed that the government should not be regulating the ability of people to do or no to do business.
Rocky Rockefeller
Nelson Rockefeller 152
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -4.00

« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2016, 10:39:56 PM »

I really dont care about the political views of a 16 year old
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2016, 10:50:45 PM »

Nobody ever gives Liz Warren crap and she voted for Ronald Fing Reagan, twice. She was a Republican until 1995.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2016, 11:18:47 PM »

Didn't you go from a Rand Paul libertarian to a Brian Schweitzer left-libertarian in like five weeks?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2016, 11:19:47 PM »

Didn't you go from a Rand Paul libertarian to a Brian Schweitzer left-libertarian in like five weeks?

That's incorrect. It's been a long long transformation, but I think there was a switch at some point.

What's your obsession with this? why do you keep bringing this up?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2016, 12:08:51 PM »

Nobody ever gives Liz Warren crap and she voted for Ronald Fing Reagan...

who never gets crap either, even though he was a registered Democrat from the time he was old enough to vote in 1929 until 1962, and a New Deal supporter for most of that period as well.  In 1962 he famously said,  "I didn't leave the Democratic Party.  The party left me."

Kerry's wife was a registered Republican from the beginning of time till her husband ran for president in 2004. 

People change.  There are plenty of good reasons not to support Hillary Clinton.  The fact that she was a Republican before she was a Democrat is not one of them. 
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2016, 12:41:19 PM »
« Edited: July 30, 2016, 12:44:25 PM by alex »

DID U KNOW THAN DONALD trump WAS A REGISTuRD DEMOCRAP!1!1!!!1111!11111!!!!! OMG!11!1
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies