1892 election if Grover Cleveland wins re-election in 1888
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:25:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1892 election if Grover Cleveland wins re-election in 1888
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1892 election if Grover Cleveland wins re-election in 1888  (Read 594 times)
Californiadreaming
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 26, 2016, 02:01:22 PM »

What would the 1892 election have looked like if Grover Cleveland would have won re-election in 1888?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 02:26:42 PM »

I think the ticket would be John Carlisle/Adlai Stevenson, which would be narrowly defeated by Robert Todd Lincoln/Levi P. Morton.
Californiadreaming
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 02:57:24 PM »

I think the ticket would be John Carlisle/Adlai Stevenson, which would be narrowly defeated by Robert Todd Lincoln/Levi P. Morton.
Did Robert Todd Lincoln actually have any Presidential ambitions, though?
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 03:06:31 PM »

Cleveland tries for a third term, he probably wins as well.

I imagine he probably faces Governor McKinley and James Weaver.
Californiadreaming
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 03:21:48 PM »

This is extremely unlikely due to past precedent, in my honest opinion. Indeed, 1892 certainly wasn't 1940--when Europe was already under Nazi domination.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 03:35:09 PM »

This is extremely unlikely due to past precedent, in my honest opinion. Indeed, 1892 certainly wasn't 1940--when Europe was already under Nazi domination.

Only because most people ended up unpopular or burned out at the end of term two, Cleveland with all his ambition and strength, barring some kind of panic would have neither of those.

Also, Grant, Wilson, & Teddy (if getting less technical) all aimed for third terms. If it weren't for a pesky guy named Blaine, I have no doubts Grant would've defeated Hancock in 1880 for that matter.
Californiadreaming
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 03:41:55 PM »

Only because most people ended up unpopular or burned out at the end of term two, Cleveland with all his ambition and strength, barring some kind of panic would have neither of those.

Grover Cleveland was a man of honesty and integrity who believed in limited government, though. Thus, I find it hard to believe that he would be willing to break precedent for no compelling reason.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yes, Grant aimed for a third term, but there was a lot of opposition to him within the Republican Party. Indeed, even had Blaine not run, I suspect that Grant would have failed to be nominated and that Blaine's supporters would have went to Garfield, Sherman, or someone else. After all, it's not like the Stalwarts were universally loved within the Republican Party in 1880!

In regards to Wilson, his third term attempt was a joke considering that he was already disabled as a result of his stroke in late 1919.

As for TR, Yes, TR is a good example in regards to this. However, unlike Grover Cleveland in this scenario, TR never actually won two of his own terms. Indeed, TR served his first term as a result of William McKinley getting assassinated.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 10:51:17 PM »

Grover Cleveland was a man of honesty and integrity who believed in limited government, though. Thus, I find it hard to believe that he would be willing to break precedent for no compelling reason.

Yes, Grant aimed for a third term, but there was a lot of opposition to him within the Republican Party. Indeed, even had Blaine not run, I suspect that Grant would have failed to be nominated and that Blaine's supporters would have went to Garfield, Sherman, or someone else. After all, it's not like the Stalwarts were universally loved within the Republican Party in 1880!

In regards to Wilson, his third term attempt was a joke considering that he was already disabled as a result of his stroke in late 1919.

As for TR, Yes, TR is a good example in regards to this. However, unlike Grover Cleveland in this scenario, TR never actually won two of his own terms. Indeed, TR served his first term as a result of William McKinley getting assassinated.

Not to his wife! Tongue
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2016, 10:56:54 PM »

Not to his wife! Tongue

Um, he wasn't even married when that happened, and it's still dubious if it was him or someone else,...AND he paid like heck anyway....nice try though Wink
Californiadreaming
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2016, 11:58:09 PM »

Not to his wife! Tongue

Um, he wasn't even married when that happened, and it's still dubious if it was him or someone else,...AND he paid like heck anyway....nice try though Wink
Yes, Grover Cleveland was certainly still a bachelor during this time.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2016, 08:28:11 AM »

Not to his wife! Tongue

Haha, I was just kidding because Republicans ran with that "scandal" so hard.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies