Considering Taking Micro And Macro Econ..How Much Math Involved? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:12:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Considering Taking Micro And Macro Econ..How Much Math Involved? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Considering Taking Micro And Macro Econ..How Much Math Involved?  (Read 17607 times)
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: July 27, 2016, 01:58:56 PM »

If you can read graphs and do basic algebra, you're fine.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 09:00:58 PM »

In my experience, both Intermediate Micro and Macro didn't require Calculus. My knowledge of Calculus was helpful but I wouldn't say that it was necessary at that level.

Anyways, I agree with ag. I was pretty frightened by the prospects of taking Calculus, until I took my first Calculus class and took it seriously. Once I did this, I realized that the basics of Calculus are very easy to understand and that it should be a required class before college.

This is true.  For me, the best way to study math is to read and take notes on the chapter (and all the examples therein) before it is covered in class, and to try to finish the weekly problem set as soon as it is released.

Also, with respect to statistics, I suppose it depends on the institution, but the very introductory class offered by the statistics department, which I'm taking now, has linear algebra and multivariable calculus, on top of differential and integral single-variable calculus, as strict prerequisites.  I can't imagine someone going very far in statistics without also having taken calculus based on that. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies