Do you support same-sex marriage?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:26:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Do you support same-sex marriage?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Poll
Question: Do you support same-sex marriage?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 108

Author Topic: Do you support same-sex marriage?  (Read 4415 times)
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2016, 12:13:57 PM »

No, but bringing that up here is (clearly) not a good idea. Plus, it's pretty much settled law, so what's the point?
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2016, 01:15:19 PM »

I believe that:

In my church, there is something special about the sacrament of Holy Matrimony between a man and woman.
There is nothing wrong with two men or two women living together and raising a family.
Government shouldn't be in the business of deciding what love is and isn't.
If legal marriage is a about creating a contract between two people who are pulling their resources together to live together/raise a family, I support that institution in order to protect people who may put their money-making life on hold and rely on the other person for a living in order to keep a house and raise a family.
I do not support polygamy in a legal sense because I feel that creates a situation where one or some spouses may be put in a lesser situation than other spouses and that is not a fair thing to do.

So while I think there is something special about Catholic marriage, equality in the eyes of the law is very important.

I agree and if Catholicism cannot follow that good moral precept then it deserves the disrespect that moral people give it.

Catholics who do not support gay marriage, deserve the look this good woman gives to her bishop.
http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/11/08/minnesota.catholic.gay.marriage/index.html?eref=rss_latest&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fcnn_latest+%28RSS%3A+Most+Recent%29

Regards
DL

Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2016, 01:19:26 PM »

No, but bringing that up here is (clearly) not a good idea. Plus, it's pretty much settled law, so what's the point?

Perhaps to try to smarten up those Christians and who need correcting.

That is the Christian thing to do.

Proverbs 3:12 For whom the Lord loveth he correcteth; even as a father the son in whom he delighteth.

Regards
DL
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2016, 10:17:24 AM »

I'm neutral on the issue. It's overused. Liberals use it to promote an agenda. Frankly, I'm tired of hearing about it. Some Democrats want to slow down or even ban heterosexual marriage,  and it doesn't make news. SSM is a stupid,  boring topic and the media needs to stop discussing the issue.
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2016, 10:27:04 AM »

I'm neutral on the issue. It's overused. Liberals use it to promote an agenda. Frankly, I'm tired of hearing about it. Some Democrats want to slow down or even ban heterosexual marriage,  and it doesn't make news. SSM is a stupid,  boring topic and the media needs to stop discussing the issue.

We are talking of the freedom to seek out a loving life partner and have the same marital benefits that others have.

Perhaps the media brings it up to educate free people of the fact that the first responsibility of a free person is to fight all those who would deny gays that same freedom.

Regards
DL
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2016, 10:29:53 AM »

We are talking of the freedom to seek out a loving life partner and have the same marital benefits that others have.

Perhaps the media brings it up to educate free people of the fact that the first responsibility of a free person is to fight all those who would deny gays that same freedom.

Regards
DL
I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about some Democrats who are openly trying to ban or end heterosexual marriage.
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2016, 10:33:35 AM »

Regards
DL
I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about some Democrats who are openly trying to ban or end heterosexual marriage.

I have yet to see any such person being interviewed.

Care to share your source?

Regards
DL
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2016, 10:45:06 AM »

Regards
DL

I have yet to see any such person being interviewed.

Care to share your source?

Regards
DL
They are a lot of Democrats who hate heterosexual couples,  especially white heterosexual couples, yet they still support them. The SSM issue is overblown, and Clinton and Democrats need to stop talking about it. It's the law of the land, but at the same time, some Democrats need to leave heterosexual couples alone, same with Republicans and homosexual couples.
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2016, 11:16:26 AM »

Repeating your statement without showing a source is just an unfounded opinion.

You sound like Trump who says, I hear this or that and forms his weird view from that.

Regards
DL
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2016, 11:26:44 AM »

You sound like Trump who says, I hear this or that and forms his weird view from that.

Regards
DL

I am just saying that there are a lot of Democrats who hate straight, heterosexual couples. You see it every day in the media. It's not opinion, it's a fact. You have some Democrats who despise straight people.

http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/lauren-enk/2013/05/24/anti-straight-hate-huffpo-blogger-rants-against-religion-men-straight
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2016, 11:32:52 AM »

Sigh.

One idiot does not translate to many Democrats.

Regards
DL
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2016, 11:37:57 AM »

Yes.

I've never seen a reasonable argument against it, just close mindness.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2016, 11:25:43 PM »

Regards
DL

I am just saying that there are a lot of Democrats who hate straight, heterosexual couples. You see it every day in the media. It's not opinion, it's a fact. You have some Democrats who despise straight people.

http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/lauren-enk/2013/05/24/anti-straight-hate-huffpo-blogger-rants-against-religion-men-straight

Uhhh....what?
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2016, 12:33:47 AM »

Regards
DL

Lol at citing Newsbusters as proof that something is a fact. Bronz, maybe if you read less of that nonsense the world would seem less scary to you.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2016, 01:11:32 PM »

As a gay person whom spent much of my teen years arguing futiley over the validity and worth of my relationship and even right to exist with online strangers; I can gladly say that I don't care what anyone thinks any more. I'll be a happily married young adult soon and the sooner we can view marriage as marriage and love as love and move onto the issues that effect us all regardless of sexuality the better.
Incipimus iterum
United States

« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2016, 01:17:53 PM »

Yes.
Its none of the goverments buisness to legislate love.
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2016, 08:07:57 AM »

Yes.

True bit it is their business to legislate marriage as that is a civic responsibility thanks to pensions and other benefits.

Nice that they have finally decided to recognize gay marriage as acceptable to their legislation.

I would amend you statement to --- Its none of religions business to legislate love.

Religions tend to not understand love well at all.

Regards
DL
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2016, 08:17:44 AM »

Yes.

True bit it is their business to legislate marriage as that is a civic responsibility thanks to pensions and other benefits.

Nice that they have finally decided to recognize gay marriage as acceptable to their legislation.

I would amend you statement to --- Its none of religions business to legislate love.

Religions tend to not understand love well at all.

Regards
DL
*tips fedora*
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2016, 09:35:50 AM »

While the Obergefell decision has almost certainly permanently ended the national debate on this issue, I am nevertheless curious to hear your own thoughts on this.

Ugh!  Just stop.  What's next do you want to hear our thoughts on whether slavery should be brought back?  This issue is over.  Time to move on.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2016, 02:06:01 PM »

Regards
DL

And there are a lot of Republicans who think freeing the slaves was a bad idea. There are crazy people on the fringes of each party and focusing on them and acting like they actually represent the party is ridiculous. It isn't even worth mentioning, bronz, because for every insane issue with supporters you can come up, I can match you easily.

Case in point: Ignore the fringe lunatics
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2016, 04:05:46 PM »

I believe it's a sin, but who doesn't sin?

Christians get so worked up over this, when there are worse sins than this we should be trying to put an end to as hard as we do this one.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2016, 04:42:47 AM »

Yes.

I've never seen a reasonable argument against it, just close mindness.

That's my view as well. At this point in time, I see opposition as nothing less than bigotry. I view those that oppose same-sex marriage the same way I view those that oppose interracial marriage. My grandma voted against Prop 8 in 2008 and that was after her first husband (the father of my mother, my biological grandfather) left her with two children in the mid-1960s to be with a man. (She didn't judge all gay/bi people as her first husband. My grandma has no issue that he was either gay or bisexual. Her problem is that he left her with two kids and didn't pay child support, which has nothing to do with sexual orientation at all.)
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2016, 02:24:40 PM »

As a gay person whom spent much of my teen years arguing futiley over the validity and worth of my relationship and even right to exist with online strangers; I can gladly say that I don't care what anyone thinks any more. I'll be a happily married young adult soon and the sooner we can view marriage as marriage and love as love and move onto the issues that effect us all regardless of sexuality the better.

I think you do care but do get your point.

No one should stop following their bliss just because it is not always the popular thing to do.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2016, 02:26:58 PM »

Yes.

They have not tried to lately. At least not in the West. The East does at both the political and religious levels.

Literalist and fundamental religions continue to do so in the West and that is really sinful.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2016, 02:29:46 PM »

I believe it's a sin, but who doesn't sin?

Christians get so worked up over this, when there are worse sins than this we should be trying to put an end to as hard as we do this one.

Sins have victims. Right?

Who is victimized by gays forming life/love bonds?

Regards
DL
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies