Mass murder of disabled people in Japan
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 08:07:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Mass murder of disabled people in Japan
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mass murder of disabled people in Japan  (Read 1564 times)
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 26, 2016, 08:00:44 PM »

New York Times article. At least nineteen dead.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Omega21

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 08:48:09 PM »

Obviously a sick and twisted individual. I have no doubt that their system will handle it like they should.

Tragedy that 19 families will be mourning because of him, may they Rest in Peace.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 09:52:56 PM »

I can't believe how little attention this sad story has gotten here. Partly due to the Convention, but I wonder if its also because there's no (Islamic) terrorism angle for media to harp on.

Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 10:01:03 PM »

I can't believe how little attention this sad story has gotten here. Partly due to the Convention, but I wonder if its also because there's no (Islamic) terrorism angle for media to harp on.

It was a messed up, extremely disturbed individual.  There's no reason to suspect that there will be an epidemic of attacks like this though, and no greater danger to the world beyond this one messed up person.  The same cant be said for Islamic terrorism, hence it is not receiving the same attention.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 10:06:20 PM »

I think it's a little insulting to go straight to the muh mental health discourse with a mental health worker who systematically slaughtered his former charges, to be quite honest.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 02:25:06 AM »

Horrific.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 03:15:01 PM »

nor a gun* to blame

*or magazine size, or collapsible stock, or "a shoulder thing that goes up".
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 07:15:59 PM »

I think it's a little insulting to go straight to the muh mental health discourse with a mental health worker who systematically slaughtered his former charges, to be quite honest.

As opposed to what? How would you have covered this?
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2016, 09:37:40 PM »

nor a gun* to blame

*or magazine size, or collapsible stock, or "a shoulder thing that goes up".

Thank god he didn't have access to guns. Good thing Japan doesn't have the 2nd Amendment. How many more people would he have killed? I know you're being facetious but guns are still evil.

It was a messed up, extremely disturbed individual.  There's no reason to suspect that there will be an epidemic of attacks like this though, and no greater danger to the world beyond this one messed up person.  The same cant be said for Islamic terrorism, hence it is not receiving the same attention.

That's exactly what I'm saying! You are correct but I think it's ridiculous that Islamic terrorism is the only thing that gets more than five minutes of attention these days.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2016, 12:00:03 AM »

As opposed to what? How would you have covered this?

Well, sometimes, you see, perfectly sane people have horrible worldviews and kill people because of them. Uematsu is a eugenicist; he sees disabled people as burdens, and sees people who aren't 'productive' as unworthy of life, so he killed them. Having a horrible, evil worldview does not automatically mean you can write somebody off as insane, any more than voting for the wrong political party automatically means you can write somebody off as stupid.

Uematsu actually was committed to a mental hospital at one point, and released two weeks later. They 'diagnosed' him with 'marijuana-induced psychosis'--i.e. basically 'sluggishly progressing schizophrenia' for countries where nobody understands how drugs work. Clearly, something more than 'giving more power to the mental health establishment' would have been needed here.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2016, 09:43:52 PM »

Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2016, 10:58:53 PM »

I don't get it. They don't have either guns or Muslims in Japan. This can't be happening!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies