StatesRights' Residual Popularity in Dixie
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:46:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  StatesRights' Residual Popularity in Dixie
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: StatesRights' Residual Popularity in Dixie  (Read 3901 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 21, 2005, 08:35:35 AM »
« edited: June 21, 2005, 08:38:30 AM by Frodo »

Can someone tell me why StatesRights remains so popular throughout the Southeast, despite his nearly succeeding at provoking a civil war the last time he was at the helm, not to mention his attempt at making himself a sort of quasi-dictator? And why are otherwise moderate-to-liberal Democrats voting for such a far-right candidate over a moderate like Governor Dubya?
Akno21
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 08:37:36 AM »

Can someone tell me why StatesRights remains so popular throughout the Southeast, despite his nearly succeeding at provoking a civil war the last time he was at the helm, not to mention his attempt at making himself a sort of quasi-dictator? And why are otherwise moderate-to-liberal Democrats voting for such a far-right candidate over a moderate like Governor Dubya?

I'm pretty sure Harry "owes" StatesRights after States' supported him in the Presidential race. Preston seemed very supportive of States' actions when he was Governor, but I don't know what Dave was thinking.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 08:40:19 AM »

Dubya probably isn't even much closer ideologically to me any way, at least on a two-dimensional map.

Regardless, StatesRights is a true southern patriot, and that's why I'm supporting him.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005, 09:31:21 AM »

I love how I can gather so much hate yet so much support at the same time. Smiley
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005, 09:33:13 AM »

Good question Frodo.  I wish that we had you in our region.

I think it is clear that Dave rejects any blue avatar, regardless of ideology.

I'm pretty sure Harry "owes" StatesRights after States' supported him in the Presidential race. Preston seemed very supportive of States' actions when he was Governor, but I don't know what Dave was thinking.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005, 09:37:19 AM »

A true southern patriot is one who stands up for the Union, not vile traitors from 140 years ago.

Dubya probably isn't even much closer ideologically to me any way, at least on a two-dimensional map.

Regardless, StatesRights is a true southern patriot, and that's why I'm supporting him.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2005, 09:43:03 AM »

A true southern patriot is one who stands up for the Union, not vile traitors from 140 years ago.

Thats your opinion. But those comments are irrelevant in regards to Atlasia.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2005, 09:43:55 AM »

I love how I can gather so much hate yet so much support at the same time. Smiley
I seem to be the same way
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2005, 09:45:04 AM »

HEY the SOUTH will rise again.. or that is what people around here say.  GO SOUTH.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2005, 09:46:36 AM »

The south has already risen as we are finally gaining ground economically and culturally despite our shameful past.

HEY the SOUTH will rise again.. or that is what people around here say.  GO SOUTH.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2005, 09:51:02 AM »

The south has already risen as we are finally gaining ground economically and culturally despite our shameful past.

Put it as "shameful" as opinions on matters like that are merely subjective.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2005, 09:57:01 AM »

It's" YEE HAW!" They'll know what you mean.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2005, 09:58:07 AM »

Um... aren't most opinions generally subjective Smiley

Put it as "shameful" as opinions on matters like that are merely subjective.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2005, 10:00:15 AM »

I dont "owe" Statesrights anything.  He just seems to me to be archetypical Southerner, and he ought to be our governor.  It's not something I expect a Northerner to understand.  He reminds me of some people I see in life, although many of the people I see are phoney and don't live up to him.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2005, 10:00:48 AM »

shameful past??? What are you talking about. The south should not be shameful of NOTHING.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2005, 10:16:15 AM »

shameful past??? What are you talking about. The south should not be shameful of NOTHING.

Nothing.

ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2005, 10:20:16 AM »

It must be something in the water *nods knowingly*
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2005, 10:28:56 AM »

hmm.. the KKK was in the south, but it was not the states that did it.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2005, 10:34:14 AM »

The KKK was across the country, as we can see from Grand Kleagle Senator Robert KKK Byrd.  It was the states in the south that allowed these atrocities to occur.  It was the federal government that stepped in to stop them.

??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2005, 11:12:12 AM »

The KKK was across the country, as we can see from Grand Kleagle Senator Robert KKK Byrd.  It was the states in the south that allowed these atrocities to occur.  It was the federal government that stepped in to stop them.

Actually lynchings happened nationally. But historical revisionists like to cover that fact up as a means of demeaning the south.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2005, 12:04:34 PM »

Don--we're not trying to celebrate lyncing and racism.  We're trying to celebrate a South that's mostly moved past that.  We don't like racists, and would prefer not to have them in our party.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2005, 12:57:54 PM »

The pictures were referring to Josh's quote.  Do you agree with your fellow party member that the south has "NOTHING" to be ashamed of?

Don--we're not trying to celebrate lyncing and racism.  We're trying to celebrate a South that's mostly moved past that.  We don't like racists, and would prefer not to have them in our party.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2005, 01:32:37 PM »

States I think you are lieing to us that you gave up after the Supreme Court Case and that was all that this whole nullification thing was about. The first quote is your nullification of recall elections:

My next act will be to nullify any southeastern law for "recall elections" in the Southeast region. No petition for any sort of recall will be recognized by the southeast government.

That is all.

Notice the date, May 1st, 2005, this is approximately one day after the court gave its decision on the StatesRights v. Atlasia case. Here is the exact quote of the decision:

In the case of Atlasia v. StatesRights, we find there are two main issues to be addressed:

Firstly, does the Governor of a region have the power to nullify a federal law, if he believes it to be in violation of the Constitution?  We find the answer to be unequivocally no.  Article III, Section 1, Clause 3 says that “The Supreme Court shall be the sole body in the Forum with the authority to nullify or void federal laws.”  The regional governments do not have the power to do this.  This also extends to Southeastern Magistrate Jake’s action to prohibit the issuance of marriage licences to same-sex couples.  Article IV, Section 3, Clause 1 states that “This Constitution and the Laws of the Republic of Atlasia which shall be made in Pursuance thereof, shall be the Supreme Law of the Land…”  No region may take any action that contradicts a federal law.  Therefore we rule Jake’s actions unconstitutional, and we strike his order prohibiting the issuance of marriage licences to same-sex couples.

Second is the issue of whether the Marriage Equity Act itself is constitutional.  Article I, Section 5, Clause 5 states that the Senate has power “To establish uniform rules of…Marriage and Divorce…throughout the Republic of Atlasia.”  Article VIII, Section 1, Clause 5 states that “All Legislation and Judicial Rulings not inconsistent with this Constitution passed prior to the Adoption of this Constitution shall remain in full force, unless superceded by subsequent legislation or Judicial Rulings.”  Clearly the Senate is granted the power to legislate with regard to marriage, and all laws passed under the old Constitution are valid under the new one, as long as they don’t conflict with it.  It is not the place of this Court to define marriage; that power lies with the Senate itself.  The Senate is granted the power to define marriage as they see fit, as long as it does not infringe upon the rights of others. 

Therefore, we find the Marriage Equity Act constitutional, and the actions of both the Governor and the Southeastern Magistrate to be unconstitutional.  However, since the Marriage Equity Act is a federal law, and the power to regulate marriage is a Federal power, a region may decide to opt out of issuing marriage licenses altogether, and allow the federal government to be the only licensing agency within its borders.  The federal government can not force the regions to take part, though they may if they wish to do so. The regions may choose whether or not to issue marriage licenses, but if they choose to do so they must issue all valid federal licenses."

--This decision is certified by Justices KEmperor, John Dibble, and Ernest.

This shows that then Governor StatesRights did not stop his actions after the court case but actually intensified them. His standing down of his actions only came one May 2nd, 2005. Other examples of this are the closing of the courts about 7 hours after the court verdict:

Announcement

Beginning at 12:01 PM CST May 1st, 2005, The Southeastern Regional Courts will close officially until further notice. All pending court cases and appeals are postponed to a date to be determined later.

I ask the Governor for a stay on all pending executions to allow any last minute appeals to be heard when the courts open again.

-Jake
Southeastern Magistrate

Also this is evidence. The suspension of Habeas Corpus by Magistrate Jake on 1 May, 2005:

In my capacity as whatever position can allow me to do this, I place former Governer Harry under arrest. If they courts reopen, he can have his trial. Until that point, he can rot in jail.

I'm sorry, but are you suspending the Writ of Habeas Corpus?

Yes, for the time being. But, of course, I don't have the authority to arrest him, do I?

I hope this is enough evidence to show that States was not going to just stop when the decision was put out. He actually continued to escalate the conflict and he continued to stand his ground for another two days after the decision was put forward.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2005, 01:33:02 PM »

There was rascism everywhere.  Everyone always stereotypes the south as this rogue, alone, bad-guy.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2005, 01:36:07 PM »

I'd vote for him if I lived in the region for one reason: His name is not Governor DUBYA. No one with a reference to Bush in their name will ever receive my vote.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies