StatesRights' Residual Popularity in Dixie (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:23:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  StatesRights' Residual Popularity in Dixie (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: StatesRights' Residual Popularity in Dixie  (Read 3961 times)
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« on: June 21, 2005, 09:33:13 AM »

Good question Frodo.  I wish that we had you in our region.

I think it is clear that Dave rejects any blue avatar, regardless of ideology.

Can someone tell me why StatesRights remains so popular throughout the Southeast, despite his nearly succeeding at provoking a civil war the last time he was at the helm, not to mention his attempt at making himself a sort of quasi-dictator? And why are otherwise moderate-to-liberal Democrats voting for such a far-right candidate over a moderate like Governor Dubya?

I'm pretty sure Harry "owes" StatesRights after States' supported him in the Presidential race. Preston seemed very supportive of States' actions when he was Governor, but I don't know what Dave was thinking.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 09:37:19 AM »

A true southern patriot is one who stands up for the Union, not vile traitors from 140 years ago.

Dubya probably isn't even much closer ideologically to me any way, at least on a two-dimensional map.

Regardless, StatesRights is a true southern patriot, and that's why I'm supporting him.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 09:46:36 AM »

The south has already risen as we are finally gaining ground economically and culturally despite our shameful past.

A true southern patriot is one who stands up for the Union, not vile traitors from 140 years ago.

Dubya probably isn't even much closer ideologically to me any way, at least on a two-dimensional map.

Regardless, StatesRights is a true southern patriot, and that's why I'm supporting him.

HEY the SOUTH will rise again.. or that is what people around here say.  GO SOUTH.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005, 09:58:07 AM »

Um... aren't most opinions generally subjective Smiley

The south has already risen as we are finally gaining ground economically and culturally despite our shameful past.

HEY the SOUTH will rise again.. or that is what people around here say.  GO SOUTH.

Put it as "shameful" as opinions on matters like that are merely subjective.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005, 10:16:15 AM »

shameful past??? What are you talking about. The south should not be shameful of NOTHING.

Nothing.

htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005, 10:34:14 AM »

The KKK was across the country, as we can see from Grand Kleagle Senator Robert KKK Byrd.  It was the states in the south that allowed these atrocities to occur.  It was the federal government that stepped in to stop them.

hmm.. the KKK was in the south, but it was not the states that did it.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2005, 12:57:54 PM »

The pictures were referring to Josh's quote.  Do you agree with your fellow party member that the south has "NOTHING" to be ashamed of?

Don--we're not trying to celebrate lyncing and racism.  We're trying to celebrate a South that's mostly moved past that.  We don't like racists, and would prefer not to have them in our party.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2005, 02:22:17 PM »

Yes, I'm not proud of the KKK past - but I'm proud of the paternalist and benevolent society that preceded the Civil War

You mean the society built on the backs and blood of enslaved blacks?
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2005, 02:53:02 PM »

Lynchings were common in west towns during the frontier era. Does that mean westerners should keep hunted by that ghost of their past?

Yes.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2005, 02:57:04 PM »

And would you agree that this society was "paternalistic and benevolent"?

Yes, I'm not proud of the KKK past - but I'm proud of the paternalist and benevolent society that preceded the Civil War

You mean the society built on the backs and blood of enslaved blacks?

Quit laying the 'sins' of 2% of the population on the rest of the 98% that never owned a single slave. And the north was built by slaves as well. Like DC? Thank the slaves.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2005, 09:19:11 PM »

Please read the post.

Josh said the south had "NOTHING" to be ashamed of.

I posted some pictures of something the south should be ashamed of - and that I as a southerner am ashamed of.

End of story.

It should be duly noted that htmldon did not bring up slavery.  The SAP did when they tried to define their Party by the borders of the old slave owning states.  It may have been a slip of the tongue, but you can't possibly have believed you'd get off scott free for it, did you?  Take your lumps and move on with life.
I'm not really interested in who mentioned slavery or who did it first, the gist I'm getting from these grisly pictures that Don posted is that somehow anyone who doesn't follow Don's political beliefs on some certain issues is a segregationist or someone who wants go back to old times, which I am not.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
I believe the South has plenty to be ashamed of, but I think what Josh was trying to say is that so does every region, and history revisionists like to paint a picture where the South was the only region that participated in these atrocities.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
When did anyone say that?
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2005, 10:03:33 PM »

StatesRight's signature:

An example of your party's banners:

htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2005, 09:38:11 PM »

Ya'll have every right to form whatever kind of party that you want, but I think we are well within our rights to criticize your ideology just as some of your members have questioned ours.

The statements of your members indicate that your party has been founded for the following reasons:
1) "Dixie Unionism", the concept of all of the states that were in the CSA (or as you put it, all of the states that had slavery in 1860) being in one region and one district
2) a uniqueness about being southern, having "nothing to be ashamed of" as one of your membesr put it

Given that you have been a candidate who was almost elected to the Presidency and claim some measure of legitimacy among the forum's left-wingers, and you have a member of your Party who will serve as our part-Governor and claims legitimacy among the forum's right-wingers;  I think it is more than appropriate that the ideological foundation of yall's Party is open to public scrutiny.  Ya'll are taking this as a personal attack when it is nothing more than an ideological one.  You may not have a racist bone in your body -- but racism exists not just because people believe in it -- it exists when the conditions are created that allow it to fester.

It was clear that Strom Thurmond had no problem with blacks as he had sexual intercourse with at least one.  I think most historians agree that George Wallace was not personally racist but was a pawn in the politics of the era.  It is also clear that Senator Thurmond and Governor Wallace were involved in a movement whose ideology was, if not inherently racist, was based on concepts and ideas that tolerated racist thought and did not fight against it.  If you aren't fighting racism and bigotry, then you might as well be a racist and a bigot.

I am a proud Tennessean and a proud southerner.  But that doesn't preclude me from being very, very ashamed at our past.  I am not proud of our past, I am proud of the progress that we have made in getting away from that past.  I refuse to celebrate the southern symbols that flew over slavery and segregation, but I proudly embrace the equally southern symbols that have flown over a society that has moved from an agrarian backwater nightmare to perhaps the most modern and progressive area of the nation in a mere 40 years.  I am proud of the struggle and the sacrifice of southern citizens, many of whom were martyred at the hands of a society that knew better, a savage culture that had the Word of God in its hands but refused to follow its precepts.

If you believe that the north is/was racist, you would be right.  The problem here is the scale of the problem.  Gitmo and Auschwitz both share the trait of being prison camps.  But one of those was inhuman and horiffic, and the other isn't.  Unfortunately, just as Senator Durbin wants to blur the difference for his own political agenda, many neo-confederates want to blur the difference between north and south in order to rewrite history.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2005, 09:59:21 PM »

Yeah, I mean its not like you were involved in an "Anti-UAC Coalition" or anything.   Oh, wait.. you were.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2005, 11:28:38 AM »

<sarcasm>

Yeah Clay, you could never become Governor with people knowing that you're bi.

</sarcasm>

I haven't voted here since....I don't know when.  Plus, I just returned to the southeast.

But if I could have, I would've voted against States, no matter who the other candidate was.  But now that he's governor, I suppose I'll have to just support him and keep my mouth shut....or fear a lynching for flaunting my sexuality around too much.

Discrimination returns to the south......
I'll give you a piece of friendly advice: If you want to be elected in the southeast, you might want to stop talking about your sexual preference and remove it from your signature.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies