Franklin Foer: the DNC hack is Watergate, but worse
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 03:14:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Franklin Foer: the DNC hack is Watergate, but worse
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Franklin Foer: the DNC hack is Watergate, but worse  (Read 742 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 27, 2016, 09:15:03 AM »

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2016/07/the_dnc_hack_is_watergate_but_worse.html

The only part I disagree with is that while intelligence agencies have "high confidence" it was the Russians, they haven't confirmed whether the DNC was targeted to influence the election, or whether it was just routine snooping that got lucky.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 09:21:19 AM »

The only part I disagree with is that while intelligence agencies have "high confidence" it was the Russians, they haven't confirmed whether the DNC was targeted to influence the election, or whether it was just routine snooping that got lucky.

Agreed.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 09:49:25 AM »

So is the Cold War still over or is Putin still the next Hitler? The Democrats keep changing every four years, I can't keep up Tongue.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 10:07:48 AM »

So is the Cold War still over or is Putin still the next Hitler? The Democrats keep changing every four years, I can't keep up Tongue.

It's not like the GOP is any more consistent right now. Four years ago Romney was calling Russia our number one geopolitical threat and now we have the most pro-Russian candidate since Henry Wallace.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 10:13:50 AM »

That statement was just as ridiculous when you said it in IRC.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 10:22:33 AM »

Foreign powers attempting to hack is routine.  I remember a report from 2012 where the Romney VP vetting team were only allowed non networked computers because their other computers were under regular attack. What is new is a foreign power using one of their hacks as a political weapon to influence an election. 

This potential Russia Trump connection is becoming a thing. George Will yesterday said Trumps Russian money is why he wont release his taxes. Obama noted yesterday how Trump gets good press in Russia and today Trump was being asked about his previous statements that seem pro Putin. If the DNC weren't going on now, this would be bigger news.  The question is, will the media forget and move on to the next thing next week?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 10:57:48 AM »

It's not like the GOP is any more consistent right now. Four years ago Romney was calling Russia our number one geopolitical threat and now we have the most pro-Russian candidate since Henry Wallace.
Well yes, because most Americans are pro-Russian. Obama wasn't wrong, he was right-the Cold War is over. Our party is getting in line with the times (finally!) on foreign policy, while Obama seems to be reversing the course midstream.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 11:04:12 AM »

Well yes, because most Americans are pro-Russian.

Whereas most Russians are anti-American. Passionately so. You really take "loving your enemies" a bit too far. I should say, in a Lindberghianly fashion.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2016, 11:05:39 AM »

The experts have pretty much unanimously said it was the Russians. I haven't seen a single competing theory.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2016, 11:06:59 AM »

Where are you getting this? Gallup says otherwise:

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2016, 11:07:31 AM »

Whereas most Russians are anti-American. Passionately so. You really take "loving your enemies" a bit too far. I should say, in a Lindberghianly fashion.
I like Russia. I want detente. And I want them to keep the Crimea too. Just as long as they stay out of our hemisphere and the Pacific. Make of that what you will.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2016, 11:11:07 AM »

Where are you getting this? Gallup says otherwise:

I'm speaking more in theory; they don't like Russia, because most grew up in Cold War America. Most Americans would have a very negative opinion of Libya too, even though Qaddaffi is gone. You don't have to like or trust Russia to know that we need to work with them.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2016, 11:35:19 AM »

That guys is pretty selectively ignoring evidence that points towards the Russians.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2016, 12:04:59 PM »
« Edited: July 27, 2016, 12:09:30 PM by Runeghost »

Deleted my previous post, which Ebsy was replying to,  because the quote in it was making claims that don't appear to be true and I don't want to repeat misinformation. (This whole thing is screwed up enough already.)

That guys is pretty selectively ignoring evidence that points towards the Russians.

Did some more digging, and you're right. And I'm wrong. Here's a blog post (endorsed by security guru Bruce Schneier) outlining a pretty damning case.

https://motherboard.vice.com/read/all-signs-point-to-russia-being-behind-the-dnc-hack

It's not just the usual crew of intelligence flaks, it's many credible IT security organizations and individuals.

Holy crap. The Russians really are trying to get Trump elected. I'm really having trouble believing it, but it seems to be true. (The leaked emails do seem to be real through, which really doesn't help.)

Can we pass on both these candidates, and get a new election with new ones? I'll even take Kaine vs. Pence.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies