So that dude who shot Reagan is out.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:35:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  So that dude who shot Reagan is out.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: So that dude who shot Reagan is out.  (Read 1754 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 27, 2016, 09:21:32 AM »

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/07/27/487595220/john-hinckley-who-tried-to-kill-a-president-wins-his-freedom?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=npr&utm_medium=social&utm_term=nprnews

Heh.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 09:28:04 AM »

35 years in jail for attempted murder is not a lenient sentence.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 09:37:53 AM »

I believe he was in a mental hospital, but same concept.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 10:09:11 AM »

James Brady's family thinks it was.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 10:16:05 AM »

I just read about his day to day life outside of the hospital, and this was quite disturbing: his mother lives in a wealthy, gated, golf course community and saw Bill Clinton on several occasions quite literally in her own backyard on the greens.

I mean, it is quite possible that Clinton has come into contact with the guy who shot one of his predecessors.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 10:16:28 AM »

He's been getting weekend passes for years.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 12:27:38 PM »

I just sent a copy of "Catcher in the Rye" to his new address.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 02:07:20 PM »

I just sent a copy of "Catcher in the Rye" to his new address.
Will he return it signed? Tongue
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2016, 04:07:56 PM »

James Brady lived thirty three years after.
Californiadreaming
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2016, 04:47:56 PM »

Yes, and?
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2016, 09:48:13 PM »

The Reagan-worshippers within the GOP must be livid about this! I'm surprised they aren't out in the streets with pitchforks and torches protesting.

Has Jodie Foster ever publicly commented on her connection to this incident? I know she had absolutely nothing to do with it; but since there are many rules Hinckley will have to follow, such as not talking to the media, not going on the internet, I wonder if one of the stipulations was "You are not allowed to contact Jodie Foster" lol
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2016, 10:37:37 PM »

The Reagan-worshippers within the GOP must be livid about this! I'm surprised they aren't out in the streets with pitchforks and torches protesting.

Has Jodie Foster ever publicly commented on her connection to this incident? I know she had absolutely nothing to do with it; but since there are many rules Hinckley will have to follow, such as not talking to the media, not going on the internet, I wonder if one of the stipulations was "You are not allowed to contact Jodie Foster" lol

Not sure I'd find any amusement if someone had tried to kill Jimmy Carter and we had just given him parole, pal.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2016, 11:36:20 PM »

Not sure I'd find any amusement if someone had tried to kill Jimmy Carter and we had just given him parole, pal.

I'm not your pal, guy

Are you familiar with schadenfreude? Cause that's all it is.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2016, 01:03:05 AM »

but since there are many rules Hinckley will have to follow, such as not talking to the media, not going on the internet, I wonder if one of the stipulations was "You are not allowed to contact Jodie Foster" lol

I heard a news report on the radio say he's prohibited from contacting any member of the Reagan family or Jodie Foster.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2016, 05:23:19 PM »

Good thing nobody who tried to shoot Reagan was given parole then.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2016, 06:01:44 PM »

John Hinckley was a perfect example of someone who most definitely was insane and deserved to be acquitted by reason of insanity. Now in the aftermath of Hinckley's court proceedings, Congress and several states made it next to impossible to effectively use the insanity defense, which resulted in many of the prison mental health problems we have today. People don't understand that being found not guilty by reason of insanity is not the same as being found not guilty. In every state, and at the federal level, if you're found insane, you'll spend several years in a mental hospital instead of a prison. At least there you'll be treated for the illness that caused you to commit your crime.

Another good example is Andrea Yates. She was very clearly insane and therefore not criminally responsible for her crime of drowning her five children in the bathtub, but under the laws of the state of Texas, she was considered perfectly sane. If it weren't for a so-called "expert witness" for the prosecution basing his testimony off a TV show, Yates wouldn't have received a retrial at the federal level where she was rightly found insane and sent to a Texas state mental hospital.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2016, 11:24:23 AM »

As a physical vegetable, yes.   Thomas Delehanty was gut shot and Timothy McCarthy took a few bullets as well.  Yes, a real f[inks]ing prince this dude is.

But, as our newest fascist moderator, TG notes, he's been on weekend passses for quite a while, but this ups the ante too far for me.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2016, 09:45:58 PM »

John Hinckley was a perfect example of someone who most definitely was insane and deserved to be acquitted by reason of insanity. Now in the aftermath of Hinckley's court proceedings, Congress and several states made it next to impossible to effectively use the insanity defense, which resulted in many of the prison mental health problems we have today. People don't understand that being found not guilty by reason of insanity is not the same as being found not guilty. In every state, and at the federal level, if you're found insane, you'll spend several years in a mental hospital instead of a prison. At least there you'll be treated for the illness that caused you to commit your crime.

Another good example is Andrea Yates. She was very clearly insane and therefore not criminally responsible for her crime of drowning her five children in the bathtub, but under the laws of the state of Texas, she was considered perfectly sane. If it weren't for a so-called "expert witness" for the prosecution basing his testimony off a TV show, Yates wouldn't have received a retrial at the federal level where she was rightly found insane and sent to a Texas state mental hospital.

Hinckley never was sentenced to jail. He was in a mental hospital, IIRC.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2016, 01:22:08 AM »

hopefully he can find a way to go after Trump.
Dude WTF?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies