Will day 4 speeches be a letdown compared to day 2/3?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:52:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Will day 4 speeches be a letdown compared to day 2/3?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 27

Author Topic: Will day 4 speeches be a letdown compared to day 2/3?  (Read 390 times)
win win
dxu8888

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 28, 2016, 04:51:10 PM »

Go
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 05:05:16 PM »

There's a good chance. But I would hope Hillary has been planning and practicing for this moment for decades.
tinman64

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.57

P P
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 05:07:13 PM »

This is Hillary's moment to shine. However, I think few could outperform Obama last night. So a comparative letdown.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 05:17:54 PM »
« Edited: July 28, 2016, 06:45:03 PM by Simfan34 »

I would be more than happy re-electing Obama or Bill Clinton after their speeches. I'm skeptical this speech would make me happy about the idea of voting for Hillary Clinton, but I'll watch. She has a lot of baggage to overcome here.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 05:22:31 PM »
« Edited: July 28, 2016, 05:30:55 PM by Mehmentum »

Probably.  Hillary isn't the kind of natural orator like Bill or Obama.  Her speech will be solid but not electrifying.  I'm more interested in the content of the speech, myself.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 05:35:01 PM »

Probably, Hillary isn't the kind of natural orator like Bill or Obama.  Her speech will be solid but not electrifying.  I'm more interested in the content of the speech, myself.

It's hard to believe that Clinton was routinely described as stylish and even, glamorous, by the foreign press when she was secretary of state. How could she be so effective abroad and so lackluster here? Oh well, I guess that's another point of the Hillary!/Bitch caricature that she has to overcome, or at least militate against.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 06:28:41 PM »

Since Hillary isn't a gifted orator like her husband, it's probably not a good idea to expect her to be as good as he is, or Obama, or Michelle. She's more the serious policy wonk.

But I think it's important to remember that when she is in office, she gets high praises because she is a worker bee. She gets things done. So if you expect her to be something she's not you'll be disappointed.

She's the kind of person who has to be in office and be working before she is appreciated for what she can do. That's just the way it is.

I'm not watching the convention today, just waiting for Chelsea and Hillary to speak. I'm just grateful that Hillary is the nominee. Anything past that is gravy.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 06:37:11 PM »

She's going to be fantastic. Tonight may be the night she wins the election.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 07:01:36 PM »

She's going to be fantastic. Tonight may be the night she wins the election.

As others have noted, Hillary isn't always as energetic or electrifying speaker as some other Democrats, but I agree *IF* she can hit it out of the ballpark, it could well make a decisive impact in the trajectory of the Presidential Race with debates being the next definitive moment (Excepting dramatic domestic/international events, major gaffes, etc...).

Hoping that she pulls it out well tonight with final touches being made as we speak, and pulls out pocket Aces on this one.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2016, 07:25:36 PM »

All the stars earlier in the week will be a tough act to follow for anyone on the planet. She's not known as a great orator like Bill or even somewhat Obama is.

Trump's argument boils down to "I say a lot of outlandish stuff so I must be real, so when I say I'm on your side you can believe me."

Hillary has three nearly impossible tasks:
1. Convince people she's real / genuine
2. Convince people she's on their side
3. Convince people her vision is better than Trump's divisive one
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2016, 07:48:10 PM »

It all hinges on Hillary. And it does not have to be a greatly entertaining speech, but it needs to be an honest and emotional one.

While she may not be a natural orator, many people want to see something that tells them what makes her tick; why is she running for POTUS; what does she really believe in and why.

It's all on her now!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies