Current Trump Press Conference: I hope Russia finds Hillary's emails (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:37:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Current Trump Press Conference: I hope Russia finds Hillary's emails (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Current Trump Press Conference: I hope Russia finds Hillary's emails  (Read 7248 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« on: July 27, 2016, 04:46:46 PM »

Personally, I wouldn't even give a hoot about this if Trump hadn't already shown how friendly he wants to be with Russia. Between the Ukraine provision in the platform, the anti-NATO stuff, the constant favorable remarks, and on and on, well, it really doesn't look good to me.

My opinion is that Trump said this in a half-joking manner as he sees more leaks beneficial to him, so he cracked a poorly-chosen joke about it. The serious half is that Trump no doubt does want more leaks and he would be very happy if Russia did indeed leak more data. Does this make Trump some Manchurian candidate, spy or have direct ties/plans with Putin? Hells no. However, it does make him a reckless asshole who is so willing to do anything to win, that he would gladly invite a foreign power to hack government/private systems so as to tip the election to him.

Trump doesn't care about things such as the repercussions of foreign powers meddling in American elections. He just cares about winning, and Putin knows how good it would be for Russia if Trump was president. Trump's comment was so dangerous (imo) because he is so pro-Russia that Putin is probably likely to continue trying to help him, unless international pressure is too much for him.

If you guys think it's OK to even semi-seriously invite foreign powers to screw with our elections, or think Trump was 100% joking, you are delusional.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 05:01:24 PM »

All this complaining about Trump's trumpery of Russia does is make the US, and particularly this Administration, look very weak: "Oh, my gracious!, a country with 1/3rd our population and 1/5th our wealth is stealing our election! Mother, make them stop." It's pathetic and distracting. Just chalk this up as another one of Trump's inanities and move on.

Uh, the hack on the DNC is not outside the capabilities of many criminal organizations, let alone a country like Russia, who is known for its expertise is technology. Russian hackers (state sponsored or not) contribute massively to the number of hacks around the world.

Point is, even Ukraine could orchestrate such a hack (Ukraine is also a major source of cybercrime, in addition to Russia). It really doesn't take a whole lot of resources or manpower for something like this.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 05:43:37 PM »
« Edited: July 27, 2016, 05:45:44 PM by Virginia »

All this complaining about Trump's trumpery of Russia does is make the US, and particularly this Administration, look very weak: "Oh, my gracious!, a country with 1/3rd our population and 1/5th our wealth is stealing our election! Mother, make them stop." It's pathetic and distracting. Just chalk this up as another one of Trump's inanities and move on.

Uh, the hack on the DNC is not outside the capabilities of many criminal organizations, let alone a country like Russia, who is known for its expertise is technology. Russian hackers (state sponsored or not) contribute massively to the number of hacks around the world.

Point is, even Ukraine could orchestrate such a hack (Ukraine is also a major source of cybercrime, in addition to Russia). It really doesn't take a whole lot of resources or manpower for something like this.

What you are speaking of is a matter of law enforcement and intelligence gathering. Let the investigation proceed: when the FBI can make a fact-based report about the breach, then, and only then, should it become a campaign issue. Until then it's only impotent rage.

Trump's comments today are absolutely fair game. If Trump says in a press conference "pls Putin pls hack more and release them emails", then yes, Hillary has every right to smear him on that. I'm not saying Clinton's campaign should go around saying definitively that Russia hacked the DNC, but when Trump says anything, it's open to attack. Trump certainly does not give Hillary a pass on anything, so it's not unreasonable to respond in kind. This election is already hyper-negative, so at this point, it's whatever.

If Trump hadn't opened his big mouth, I'd have said that pushing the Russian angle too much would be wrong, but now Trump has given Clinton something to go on.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies