Should unwilling parents be forced to pay child support if we'll have a UBI? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:41:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should unwilling parents be forced to pay child support if we'll have a UBI? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should unwilling parents be forced to pay child support if we'll have a UBI?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 25

Author Topic: Should unwilling parents be forced to pay child support if we'll have a UBI?  (Read 2787 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: July 28, 2016, 05:02:35 AM »

Why would the children get the money in adulthood?  They didn't pay for sh**t.

(and if anybody was wondering, if you still owe child support when the kids reach adulthood, you still get to keep paying the custodial parent until you've caught up....my step kid's dad will be paying for years.  He's a good worker, so always has a job, it's just never been a good job and he spent 6 years in jail so got a bit behind.  The $125/week is nice.)

As for the OP, meh, I get both sides here.  If the non-custodial is making buckets of money, then sure, they should throw some extra coin the kid(s) way.  If they're just a regular schmuck or jobless, what's the point of hassling them if the kids needs are being taken care of?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 03:58:11 PM »

Why would the children get the money in adulthood?  They didn't pay for sh**t.

Well, don't children have a right to have financial support from both of their parents be spent on their welfare?
The custodial parent was supporting the child when it was a child.  Likely going into a little debt to pay for it all, they deserve to be compensated for their troubles by the non-custodial parent if they are behind in their agreed payments.
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yes, I am certainly very well-aware of this. However, this appears to further make a mockery of the argument that child support is always in the "best interests of the child." Sad[/quote]The child's interests were already looked after, that's how they survived to be an adult.  And anybody that tells you child support is all about the "best interests of the child" is full of sh**t.  Often times it's punishment, and when it's not, it's just trying to be as fair as possible to the custodial parent...which is often viewed as unfair by the non-cp...whether it is or isn't.  If you lived, you've heard a dozen horror stories going both ways.  I've known dudes living in squalor, paying a stupid percentage of his pay to the baby mama who lived like a queen and didn't need his few hundred dollars every few weeks.  I've known women who never saw a penny.  I paid $527/month for almost 16 years, and to be honest, that was probably fair.  His mom raised him good and he never wanted.  Nebraska adulthood is at 19, so I had to pay an extra year, but again, didn't really have a problem with it (maybe a little the 19 thing).

There's certainly a difference between "should" in the moral sense and "should" in the legal sense, though.[/quote]Of course.  Noncps can, and do give gifts to the kids, I sure did.
I'm not 100% sure what you're arguing here.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 07:48:25 PM »

Would this compensation actually hold up under tort law, though? Indeed, for me, that is the relevant question here. After all, I see absolutely no reason as to why exactly we shouldn't apply at least some of the principles of tort law to family law.
idk, but that's how it is.  The dude that provided the sperm for my step daughters will be paying my wife money well the girls twenties.  I bought their backpacks for school when they were 5, he can buy me a few six packs when they are 23.
outside my pay grade

indeed, I believe you are correct.  And if I recall correctly, the courts have been very "by the book" about it and avoid common sense solutions whenever possible.  Like the dude who had his name put on a birth certificate, didn't find out about until the kids was like 3, and despite being cleared as the father by the mother and DNA, couldn't get his name off the books for owing the state (I think California) money because the kid has been on welfare since birth.  I believe he spent time in prison.
I agree with you, it should be an option.
I've never known anybody that would say that out loud, but I'm pretty sure I've known some that would (and should).
yes
yes, I think people should be able to do that.  I suspect I'll be in the minority and that I doubt it'll never happen either.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies