Should unwilling parents be forced to pay child support if we'll have a UBI? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 06:51:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should unwilling parents be forced to pay child support if we'll have a UBI? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should unwilling parents be forced to pay child support if we'll have a UBI?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 25

Author Topic: Should unwilling parents be forced to pay child support if we'll have a UBI?  (Read 2823 times)
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« on: July 28, 2016, 08:07:57 PM »

I have a hard time seeing child support as anything other than an unnatural compromise between two worldviews - one accepting that people have the right to live their own lives, the other imposing on parents the social responsibility of raising their offspring.

I voted No.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 05:20:02 PM »

I have a hard time seeing child support as anything other than an unnatural compromise between two worldviews - one accepting that people have the right to live their own lives, the other imposing on parents the social responsibility of raising their offspring.

I voted No.
Wouldn't child support be an acceptance of the latter worldview rather than a compromise between these two worldviews, though?

The way I see it, there are four possible views: either parents have both a right to and are responsible for their children (in which case divorce would be illegal); OR parents have a right to their children but are not responsible for them (I can't really imagine anyone holding this view); OR parents are responsible for their children but don't have a right to them (this is how the state acts when it denies parents custody... yet how can you be held responsible for something you don't have power over?); OR parents have neither a right to nor the responsibility for their children (this is how the state acts when it turns children into wards).
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 06:10:18 PM »

I voted No.
Wouldn't child support be an acceptance of the latter worldview rather than a compromise between these two worldviews, though?

The way I see it, there are four possible views: either parents have both a right to and are responsible for their children (in which case divorce would be illegal); OR parents have a right to their children but are not responsible for them (I can't really imagine anyone holding this view); OR parents are responsible for their children but don't have a right to them (this is how the state acts when it denies parents custody... yet how can you be held responsible for something you don't have power over?); OR parents have neither a right to nor the responsibility for their children (this is how the state acts when it turns children into wards).
Why exactly would divorce be illegal in the first case here, though?

Because parents can't fully exercise their rights and responsibilities wrt their children if they're divorced from each other.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 06:41:24 PM »

I voted No.

Why exactly would divorce be illegal in the first case here, though?

Because parents can't fully exercise their rights and responsibilities wrt their children if they're divorced from each other.
Can you please elaborate on this part?

How can you exercise power over your children if you only see them every other weekend?
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 07:54:20 AM »

I voted No.

Writing a check is not "raising their offspring".

That's my point.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies