Politico: Democrats Now the National Security Party
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:25:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Politico: Democrats Now the National Security Party
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Politico: Democrats Now the National Security Party  (Read 1609 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 27, 2016, 11:53:54 PM »

Role Reversal: The Dems Become the Security Party

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/07/dnc-2016-security-party-214114#ixzz4FfyJndW1
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 11:55:24 PM »

BUT THEY WONT SAY RADICAL ISLAM!!1!
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 11:56:14 PM »

Maybe there will be a state realignment this cycle, but something tells me the GOP won't like it.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 11:57:58 PM »

inb4 someone says wanting a competent person driving foreign policy makes you a "neocon."
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 11:59:06 PM »

If you were to tell me this in 2004, I wouldn't have believed you.

Politics is weird.....
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 01:22:35 AM »

Politics is weird.....

Yeah, and most people forget. I remember in 2013 when Obama was yelling about how we should topple mustached Mid East dictator and the Pubs screaming no. Complete reversal of 2003. The 2 party system is sh**t but muh lesser evil.
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 01:28:39 AM »

Assuming that Turnip loses the election, I doubt that this "trend" will hold.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 01:32:51 AM »

Politics is weird.....

Yeah, and most people forget. I remember in 2013 when Obama was yelling about how we should topple mustached Mid East dictator and the Pubs screaming no. Complete reversal of 2003. The 2 party system is sh**t but muh lesser evil.

That's because Obama was the one suggesting it, if it had been a Republican president they would have been on board and defended the decision.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 01:39:56 AM »
« Edited: July 28, 2016, 01:41:51 AM by RaphaelDLG »

This seems mostly irrelevant.  The Republican Party is still the law and order, fearmongering party that appeals to people with more fearful brains (no, really, scientists have proven that Republicans have much larger fear centers in their brains than democrats). 

And if you look at the difference between the two conventions, the Republican party is still trying to win elections by convincing the psychologically vulnerable that black people and ISIS will kill you and the Democrats are too weak/lily-livered/stupid to stop it from happening. 

I think millions of people will continue to not care what generals/the national security establishment says/how rational the Democratic foreign policy may or may not appear to be, and continue to be scared sh**tless by what people like Trump have to say. 

Such a rhetorical strategy works like a charm in elections (see Nixon, GWB), and I'm genuinely fearful that Republicans will win running on this strategy (pun intended).

https://braindecoder.com/post/politics-neuroscience-1282982492
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2016, 02:16:22 AM »

Politics is weird.....

That's because Obama was the one suggesting it, if it had been a Republican president they would have been on board and defended the decision.

And if Bush had suggested it, the Dems would be yelling "blood for oil". Again, both parties are guilty of swapping positions just for the sake of being adverse.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2016, 02:33:16 AM »

inb4 someone says wanting a competent person driving foreign policy makes you a "neocon."

As far as I can tell, H.A. Goodman is not a member of this forum, so you needn't worry.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2016, 03:55:23 AM »

It doesn't, but red-baiting does.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2016, 06:43:25 AM »

The Obama foreign policy isn't that much different from that of Reagan-Bush I.

What Reagan got away with worked.

...I would have never expected that I would be to the right of the Republican nominee for President on foreign policy with a Republican Presidential nominee offering Hard-Right economics and pandering to the Religious Right on social issues. But here we are.

Bill Clinton wisely chose to say nothing derogatory about the foreign policy of the elder Bush and found no cause to shake things up. Barack Obama reverted to Reagan-Bush I-Clinton foreign policy after the disaster that was Bush II. Hillary Clinton owns for all practical purposes the Obama foreign policy.

...George McGovern on foreign policy, George Wallace on inter-ethnic relations,  and Barry Goldwater on economics. That's Donald Trump for you. 
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2016, 09:48:04 AM »

RIP Freedom.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2016, 11:20:24 AM »

Politics is weird.....

And if Bush had suggested it, the Dems would be yelling "blood for oil". Again, both parties are guilty of swapping positions just for the sake of being adverse.

True dat
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2016, 01:05:36 PM »

Democrats are also taking the mantra of patriotism and family values from Republicans:

http://www.vox.com/2016/7/28/12306780/democratic-convention-speeches-patriotism-rhetoric

And the tweet that had me practically falling out of my chair laughing:

THEY ARE TAKING OUR STUFF!

Seriously though, if Democrats succeed in this and begin pealing away college educated whites en masse (while losing some working class whites), we could be in for another realignment of states - or perhaps just accelerating an existing one. Maybe not as significant as 1988/1992, but I suppose it will depend how Democrats use this message and how voters react. Given the fast-growing bloc of college educated whites and decreasing number of working class whites, effects in Republicans favor might be somewhat muted. Their poor strategy of anchoring themselves to the only fast sinking demographic doesn't help their long-term electoral prospects at all.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2016, 03:02:00 PM »

As far as I can tell, H.A. Goodman is not a member of this forum, so you needn't worry.

Silly me, I forgot jfern left. Tongue
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2016, 03:24:50 PM »

I guess this means Virginia is safe D.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2016, 03:54:53 PM »

LOL, parties don't just *become* what the previous party had been closer to being in a matter of years.  Period.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2016, 03:57:10 PM »

LOL, parties don't just *become* what the previous party had been closer to being in a matter of years.  Period.

Tom, you no longer need to be in the party of pessimism, despair, and hatred. You can join our wonderful big tent. Didn't you hear Tim Kaine last night? We Democrats have a spot for Republicans who really miss the Party Of Lincoln. Smiley
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2016, 04:43:48 PM »

Tom, you no longer need to be in the party of pessimism, despair, and hatred. You can join our wonderful big tent. Didn't you hear Tim Kaine last night? We Democrats have a spot for Republicans who really miss the Party Of Lincoln. Smiley

Bulls**t you have a spot for those Republicans. With all the pandering to the Bernie bros and BLM the Democrats are trending just as far left as Republicans are going far right. You can't have it both ways, there's no tent big enough for Bernie Sanders and RINO Tom.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2016, 04:53:14 PM »

Maybe there will be a state realignment this cycle, but something tells me the GOP won't like it.

Erm, do you have evidence for this?
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2016, 06:54:09 PM »
« Edited: July 28, 2016, 06:56:30 PM by clash »

Erm, do you have evidence for this?

Trump has taken the deeply unpopular stance that we shouldn't antagonize Russia, therefore Georgia: Lean R-> Safe D
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2016, 08:41:07 PM »

LOL, parties don't just *become* what the previous party had been closer to being in a matter of years.  Period.

Bulls**t you have a spot for those Republicans. With all the pandering to the Bernie bros and BLM the Democrats are trending just as far left as Republicans are going far right. You can't have it both ways, there's no tent big enough for Bernie Sanders and RINO Tom.

Why is RINO Tom a Republican when Indy Texas is ostensibly to the right of him on social and economic (PM) issues?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2016, 09:00:19 PM »

LOL, parties don't just *become* what the previous party had been closer to being in a matter of years.  Period.

Why is RINO Tom a Republican when Indy Texas is ostensibly to the right of him on social and economic (PM) issues?

Because RINO Tom has an ancestral attachment to the party, believes the party is the best vehicle for advancing pro-business policies and thus chose to register as a Republican; Indy Texas has none of that/holds none of those beliefs.  It's really as simple as that, and most people don't get into such a fuss about this as you do, LOL.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies