Maryland Gubernatorial Race 2006
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:57:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Maryland Gubernatorial Race 2006
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Maryland Gubernatorial Race 2006  (Read 4960 times)
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 21, 2005, 10:52:14 AM »
« edited: June 21, 2005, 11:01:08 AM by nickshepDEM »

I figured Id start a thread similar to the "PA Gubernatorial 2006 race" thread instead of constantly wasting forum and server space with new topics.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 10:55:49 AM »

From the Baltimore Sun:

Governor's race revs up in city with fund-raisers
Ehrlich has golf outing; O'Malley event at stadium might set donation record; 'No one raises $2 million in a night'

Two of Maryland's fiercest political rivals, Mayor Martin O'Malley and Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr., stocked their campaign arsenals with cash yesterday - with O'Malley taking in more than $2 million at a fund-raiser that aides called the largest event of its kind in state history.

O'Malley told more than 1,000 donors at M&T Bank Stadium that Baltimore's progress on education, crime and housing should be a model for the state, although he stopped short of declaring his candidacy for the Democratic nomination or mentioning Ehrlich by name.

"There is left to us a new battle," the mayor said. "And it is a battle in whose balance hangs the balance of Maryland, a potential powerhouse of a state, a state whose future ... is threatened by the icy, minimalist indifference by those who say to a free, to a diverse and to a courageous people, 'This far can you go, and no further.'"

Earlier in the day, Ehrlich, a Republican, presided over a $100,000 golf outing at the exclusive Elkridge Club on North Charles Street in Baltimore. Players paid $1,000 to take part in the shotgun-start tournament.

<snip>

"No one raises $2 million in a night," Epstein said.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 10:10:49 AM »

From the Examiner Washington:

Bad News for Doug Duncan
Mo.Co. homeless rate on the rise

More than 1,600 Montgomery County residents - including 249 families - are homeless in this fiscal year, according to a new report released Monday to the County Council.

This represents a 55 percent increase from two years before, when about 1,000 county residents were without shelter. Despite recent efforts by the county to create temporary shelters, the trend continues to climb.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 10:14:27 AM »

From the Baltimore Sun:

Ehrlich cuts health care for children of immigrants
Administration also weighs fate of funds for pregnant women

The Ehrlich administration has begun sending letters to thousands of low-income legal immigrants informing them that their children will lose health care benefits next month, and officials are deciding whether to restore funding to help pregnant women, as demanded by the legislature.

Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr.'s budget proposal for the fiscal year that begins July 1 eliminated a $7 million Medicaid program for children and pregnant women in low-income families who are legal permanent residents, about 4,000 people statewide. Earlier this year, legislators attempted to restore $1.5 million to cover pregnant women, but Ehrlich spokesman Henry Fawell said yesterday that the administration has not decided whether to comply with the request - which was written into the state budget.

The fate of the program is wrapped up in an intensifying dispute between the legislature and the governor about the General Assembly's budget powers. The confrontation erupted last week in controversies about whether the administration would fund programs such as the state's prevailing wage office and Challenge Grants that aim to improve test scores and behavior in struggling schools.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2005, 09:44:00 AM »

Mayor's camp trumpets survey results
Governor's race: Poll ordered by O'Malley shows strong lead over Duncan.

Supporters of Baltimore Mayor Martin O'Malley are crowing about poll numbers showing the mayor well ahead of Montgomery County Executive Douglas M. Duncan in the race for next year's Democratic gubernatorial nomination.

The internal O'Malley poll, conducted by GarinHartYang Research Group of Washington, showed O'Malley with 50 percent support among likely primary voters. Duncan had 28 percent, and 22 percent were undecided.

The results of the poll, which had a margin of error of 4.5 percentage points, were similar to those in a Sun Poll conducted in April, which found O'Malley beating Duncan 45 percent to 25 percent, with 29 percent undecided.

Pollsters conducted additional interviews in Montgomery County, and say they found that Duncan's support in his home territory was weaker than O'Malley's in Baltimore.

"In stark contrast to O'Malley's strong support in the Baltimore region, Duncan has lackluster support, holding a 52% to 31% lead in Montgomery County," the memo said. Because Duncan's name recognition is already near-universal in Montgomery, "the polling shows that Doug Duncan will have a difficult time getting 60% of the vote in his home county, much less achieving even the low end of 70% that most political observers believe he needs to compete statewide," the memo said.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2005, 06:37:38 PM »
« Edited: July 22, 2005, 09:28:13 PM by nickshepDEM »

Just a little update...

There are rumors floating around that Mayor Martin O'Malley has selected his running mate.

Prince George's County State's Attorney:  Glenn Ivey

Elected in 2002, Glenn F. Ivey is the current State’s Attorney for Prince George’s County Maryland. A former federal prosecutor in Washington, D.C., Ivey served as an Assistant U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia from 1990 until1994. During his last two years in that office, he served under Eric H. Holder Jr., former United States Attorney for the District of Columbia. While there, Ivey handled nearly 40 criminal jury trials, numerous appeals and grand jury investigations.

In 1983, Glenn graduated with honors from Princeton University and graduated from Harvard Law School in 1986. He joined the litigation department of the prestigious Baltimore law firm of Gordon, Feinblatt, Rothman, Hoffberger & Hollander, followed by a move to Capitol Hill as senior legislative assistant to Congressman John Conyers (D-MI). His extensive experience includes serving as Chief Counsel to former U.S. Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle (D-SD) and as Counsel to the Senate Whitewater Committee for Senator Paul Sarbanes (D-MD). He is a former Partner at the Washington law firm of Preston, Gates, Ellis & Rouvelas, Meeds and is currently an Adjunct Professor of Law at the University of Maryland School of Law.

In 1988, former Maryland Governor, Parris Glendening appointed Ivey as Chairman of the Maryland Public Service Commission where he held jurisdiction over the electric, telecommunications and gas industries in the state.

Now, as State’s Attorney, he continues to help create a more collective and collaborative approach to rehabilitative justice, launched an aggressive community outreach program to work with community groups and local residents to make neighborhoods safer, and developed youth empowerment initiatives to help reduce juvenile crime by getting youth involved in learning life skills and in understanding the criminal justice process.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2005, 06:43:22 PM »
« Edited: July 22, 2005, 09:29:05 PM by nickshepDEM »

If this rumor is proven to be true that makes me one for one.

Im guessing that Duncan will pick a prominent Af-American running mate too.  Or he could switch it up and go for Anne Arundel County Executive Janet S. Owens.  She would be a great pick in my opinion.  She could pull a decent amount of votes out of Anne Arundel County, which generally is a Republican Strong-Hold.  Only downside is, picking her could piss of the Af-American base.  Decisions, Decisions, Decisions. Smiley
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2005, 09:23:03 PM »

For the record, Ivey has denied this rumor, but he has said he has talked informally about LG to both candidates.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2005, 06:14:19 PM »
« Edited: September 26, 2005, 06:17:19 PM by nickshep democRAT »

Rumor:  O'Malley will formally announce his bid for Governor this Wednesday.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2005, 06:38:02 PM »

Rumor:  O'Malley will formally announce his bid for Governor this Wednesday.

Yahoo! News had this as a top story. My question: Why? Hasn't it been agreed upon for months now that he is a candidate? I don't see why a formal announcement is such a big deal.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2005, 06:55:57 PM »
« Edited: September 26, 2005, 06:58:40 PM by nickshep democRAT »

Yahoo! News had this as a top story. My question: Why? Hasn't it been agreed upon for months now that he is a candidate? I don't see why a formal announcement is such a big deal.

Yeah, even my grandmother who doesnt follow politics knows O'Malley is running for Governor.  Some are claiming its kind of odd that he is declaring before Duncan.  Usually the underdog declares first to help pickup a little steam and ground in the polls.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2005, 07:37:01 PM »

If this rumor is proven to be true that makes me one for one.

Im guessing that Duncan will pick a prominent Af-American running mate too.  Or he could switch it up and go for Anne Arundel County Executive Janet S. Owens.  She would be a great pick in my opinion.  She could pull a decent amount of votes out of Anne Arundel County, which generally is a Republican Strong-Hold.  Only downside is, picking her could piss of the Af-American base.  Decisions, Decisions, Decisions. Smiley

How and why would Janet Owens turn off African American voters?  Would it be for the sole reason that she is white, or is there some other more credible reason? 
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2005, 07:43:15 PM »
« Edited: September 26, 2005, 07:44:53 PM by nickshep democRAT »

How and why would Janet Owens turn off African American voters?  Would it be for the sole reason that she is white, or is there some other more credible reason? 

Pretty much.  Same thing happend in 2002.  There were plenty of formidable black candidates for KKT to choose from, but she instead went with some old, pasty, white dude who had only been a resident of the state for a couple months (maybe a year or two).  Result:  Ehrlich/Steele receives 17-18% of the Af-American vote.

Im thinking both Duncan and O'Malley will have Af-Americans in the Lt. Gov. slot.  O'Malley has been rumored to have already selected State's Attorney for Prince George's County, Glenn Ivey as his running mate.  Id say hes a great pick, but If Im not mistaken I think he's married to a white lady.  That shouldnt hurt, but for some reason I think it will.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2005, 07:45:20 PM »

Pretty much.  Same thing happend in 2002.  There were plenty of formidable black candidates for KKT to choose from, but she instead went with some old, pasty, white dude who had only been a resident of the state for a couple months (maybe a year or two).  Result:  Ehrlich/Steele receives 17-18% of the Af-American vote.

Im thinking both Duncan and O'Malley will have Af-Americans in the Lt. Gov. slot.  O'Malley has been rumored to have already selected State's Attorney for Prince George's County, Glenn Ivey.  Id say hes a great pick, but If Im not mistaken I think he's married to a white lady.  That shouldnt hurt, but for some reason I think it will.

I didn't realize Maryland blacks could be so anal about race.... 
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2005, 07:50:03 PM »

I didn't realize Maryland blacks could be so anal about race.... 

Better hope the same thing doesnt happen in the 2006 Senate race.  Some are already claiming that the Dem. Establishment is trying to sabatoge the Mfume campaign.  If word gets out and catches on we could be looking at Sen. Steele.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2005, 10:40:08 AM »

Im thinking both Duncan and O'Malley will have Af-Americans in the Lt. Gov. slot.  O'Malley has been rumored to have already selected State's Attorney for Prince George's County, Glenn Ivey as his running mate.  Id say hes a great pick, but If Im not mistaken I think he's married to a white lady.  That shouldnt hurt, but for some reason I think it will.

I'll take a stab at it and guess the Democrats won't fall all over themselves putting up Ivey family pictures. His bio page you link doesn't even note he's married.

What you did not so much make clear is that the real problem with Ivey's wife, if in fact she is white, has little to do with white voters and a lot to do with black voters.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2005, 10:46:12 AM »
« Edited: September 28, 2005, 10:47:53 AM by nickshep democRAT »

He is married to a white woman.

Glenn & Jolene Ivey and Steny Hoyer:

http://www.glennivey.com/assets/gallery/thumbs/images/hoyer.jpg
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2005, 07:51:59 PM »
« Edited: September 28, 2005, 08:02:27 PM by nickshep democRAT »

Just got back from O'Malleys announcement speech.  Pretty good, but nothing great.

Thats me directly over O'Malleys left shoulder.  Smiley

O'Malley Enters Race For State House
Wednesday, September 28, 2005
WBAL Radio

Flanked by a crowd of 2,000 people carrying signs "Maryland can do better", Mayor Martin O'Malley kicked off his campaign for governor Wednesday night with a rally in Patterson Park.

"I believe we must return the values of honesty, fairness, responsibilty and tolerance to our statehouse," O'Malley said in his annoucnement, "I stand before you to declare my candidacy for Governor, because a stronger Maryland can do better.

In a 20 minute speech, the mayor touted improved schools and reduced crime in Baltimore.

He did not name Governor Ehrlich or any other leader in his speech, but he did say the state is "moving backward" in education, taxes and the environment.

O'Malley is the first major Democrat to officially declare his candidacy for Governor.   Montgomery County Executive Doug Duncan is widely believed to be also entering the primary race.   

ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2005, 08:16:47 PM »

The blurry guy in the baseball cap?
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2005, 08:19:35 PM »

I should have said O'Malleys right shoulder.  The one on our left.  Im basically just a blurry dot.  Younger, brown haired guy.  Half of my face is cut off by his shoulder.
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2005, 08:37:01 PM »

I'm sure I'll get a lot of flack for saying this, but I really like O'Malley--a lot.  If he had a better chance at beating his opponent, I would totally support him.  He's really charismatic, and eventually, I think he is going to make a run for the presidency, EVENTUALLY.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2005, 08:42:14 PM »
« Edited: September 28, 2005, 08:44:16 PM by nickshep democRAT »

I'm sure I'll get a lot of flack for saying this, but I really like O'Malley--a lot.  If he had a better chance at beating his opponent, I would totally support him.  He's really charismatic, and eventually, I think he is going to make a run for the presidency, EVENTUALLY.

He has to get out of the Democratic primary for governor first.  After that he has to beat Ehrlich.  Then maybe, just maybe, he'll make a run for president... One day.

Id say he has an 80% chance of defeating Duncan in the primary, and about a 45% chance defeating Ehrlich in the general.

Back to the topic.  Ian, I agree he is a very charismatic/telegenic guy.  I like O'Malley as a person too.  His record isnt all that great though.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2005, 09:31:34 PM »

At least unlike, say, Hillary, Ivey didn't make his marriage choice based on political gain. Then, he is a state attorney, not a politician.
danwxman

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2005, 11:46:39 PM »

I was just thinking the same thing. I really like him, and I know it's wayyyy too early, but I smell Presidential material.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2005, 10:36:51 AM »
« Edited: September 30, 2005, 10:39:43 AM by nickshep democRAT »

Good article breaking down what needs to be done in order to win in 2006....

City's suburbs seen as key for O'Malley

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies