Anyone actually read the RNC and DNC platforms?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:20:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Anyone actually read the RNC and DNC platforms?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Anyone actually read the RNC and DNC platforms?  (Read 871 times)
Redban

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 28, 2016, 11:46:37 AM »

I've just finished reading the DNC platform (I finished the RNC platform last week).

DNC:
https://www.demconvention.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Democratic-Party-Platform-7.21.16-no-lines.pdf

RNC:
https://prod-static-ngop-pbl.s3.amazonaws.com/media/documents/DRAFT_12_FINAL[1]-ben_1468872234.pdf

For me, the platforms basically established the most well-known differences between the two parties ------Republicans stress state rights, lower taxes, private sector work, economy over environment, and legal immigration over illegal immigration; Democrats support an active federal government, increased investments, more services from the public sector, green energy, and leniency towards illegal aliens.

Two differences got my attention though.

Firstly --- The RNC platform never makes a direct attack on Hillary Clinton. In fact, the platform mentions her name only once, and that mention was just in reference to her quote on climate change.

The DNC platform, on the other hand, mentions Trump 32 times, mostly to give biting insults. One such insult is: There has never been a major party candidate less qualified or less fit for the office of President of the United States or to be Commander-in-Chief than Donald Trump.

For all the talk about Trump's tendency to attack, the RNC platform is the tame one while the DNC platform is the bellicose one.

Secondly --- I'm alarmed at the pervasive racial discussions in the DNC platform: the word "minority" appears 15 times (just 3 times in the RNC platform); "racism" appears 6 times (just once in the RNC platform); and the phrase "people of color" appears 18 times (not once in the RNC platform), including in some nonsensical places. The most egregious example is:

The impacts of climate change will also disproportionately affect low-income and minority communities ...  Simply put, this is environmental racism.

Environmental racism!?!?!
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 11:51:57 AM »

Environmental racism is very much a real thing. Clinton signed a measure in the 90s to help ensure that projects did not disproportionately adversely affect the environment of communities of color.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 12:08:39 PM »

I know Republicans don't like these ideas (and there are instances where I'd agree it gets  silly) but the basic concept is really just that if the cost of a policy is disproportionately harming a specific community and that community lacks the power to defend itself that can be a reason why powerful groups get away with pushing such policies. Republicans actually use this often in their rhetoric as well but they label it differently.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 12:22:15 PM »

"Colored people"? Did LBJ write this platform?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 03:50:09 PM »

I read the 60 page RNC draft. Some good, some bad.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 03:53:40 PM »

I was kinda surprised this is in the GOP Platform:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 03:55:35 PM »

How about they become 51 and DC becomes 52?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 04:40:47 PM »

It's always been part of their platform. Remember, a large number of NPP politicians lean GOP (and the conservative instinct is towards manifest destiny rather than the leftist instinct of anti-colonialism/national liberation ).
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 05:21:30 PM »

DNC platform barely mentioned trans specific issues e.g. paying for transition, bathroom rights.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2016, 09:47:19 PM »

The large number of Trump references in the Dem platform seems unusual. The platform is not just intended for the Presidential election, but for all of the federal offices. How do the downballot races use a document that is heavily targeted at the top spot?
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2016, 09:57:18 PM »

The large number of Trump references in the Dem platform seems unusual. The platform is not just intended for the Presidential election, but for all of the federal offices. How do the downballot races use a document that is heavily targeted at the top spot?

Silly Muon, everyone knows that the president is the only race that matters! It's not like congress and state legislatures are the only ones with the power to make laws.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2016, 10:11:46 PM »

Silly Muon, everyone knows that the president is the only race that matters! It's not like congress and state legislatures are the only ones with the power to make laws.

Smiley
Yes but candidates will be asked about their national/state platforms. The platform helps set the brand for the party. This one from the Dems is unusual in its focus and causes unneeded effort downballot. I would think the Dem brand is more than just the anti-Trump party.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2016, 10:13:10 PM »

I wish the RNC platform would have adopted Rachel Hoff's amendments.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2016, 10:07:37 AM »

They do want to tie as many down allot races to the unpopularity of the nominee. It makes perfect sense to tar a popular governor with the unpopular presidential nominee.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2016, 10:18:32 AM »

Smiley
Yes but candidates will be asked about their national/state platforms. The platform helps set the brand for the party. This one from the Dems is unusual in its focus and causes unneeded effort downballot. I would think the Dem brand is more than just the anti-Trump party.

When you have campaigned, has any voter ever, referred to the content of the Pub platform as to your opinion about something in it?
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2016, 11:42:28 AM »

I don't take issue with anything other than the Trump references.  That's ridiculous, and doesn't belong in a party platform.  They could have mentioned him obliquely/indirectly, like "We oppose the Republicans' willingness to nominate candidates who lack the demeanor and qualifications to be entrusted with power."
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2016, 11:44:27 AM »

LOL, no.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies