Is Obama the greatest president since FDR?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:55:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Is Obama the greatest president since FDR?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No, but still an above-average president

No, a below-average president

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 60

Author Topic: Is Obama the greatest president since FDR?  (Read 1265 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 28, 2016, 01:59:15 PM »
« edited: July 28, 2016, 02:04:18 PM by TDAS04 »

Yes.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 02:01:30 PM »

No.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 02:02:27 PM »

The "at least" in the thread title is offending me into not answering this poll question/considering voting no.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 02:04:07 PM »

The "at least" in the thread title is offending me into not answering this poll question/considering voting no.

Fine, I'll remove it. 
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 02:06:46 PM »

Fine, I'll remove it. 

Thank you.  I have a shrine to FDR in my closet.  I have also been known to, on occasion, ride around in a wheelchair and wear a monocle while chomping on a cigar.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 02:07:12 PM »

Lol no

Truman , IKE , JFK , Nixon , Reagan , HW , bill were better
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 02:11:55 PM »

I voted no because of Truman.  I think LBJ, JFK, Eisenhower deserve some consideration, though I (maybe anachronistically) put Obama higher.
evergreenarbor

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: -8.43

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 02:13:37 PM »

Yes, although Truman or JFK almost wins that title.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 03:05:49 PM »

lolno
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2016, 03:11:49 PM »

- Oversaw great advances in gay rights
- Passed some reasonable healthcare reform
- Avoided austerity, for the most part
- Got us out of the EU

I'd have to say yes.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2016, 06:38:51 PM »

Nope

And below average too, but that's because the Overton Window changed and standard to hold Presidents lowered after poor Jimmeh lost re-election.

He's above average in the past 30 though.
kyc0705

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2016, 06:44:50 PM »

Falls behind Truman, Eisenhower, and the non-Vietnam parts of LBJ, but still very much up there.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2016, 06:50:00 PM »

We haven't really had a 'good president' since Ike IMHO, so no.

That said, of the post-Ike presidents he's probably the one I like the most. Hasn't committed treason (Nixon, Reagan), disgraced the office of the Presidency (Nixon again, LBJ), or (completely) sold out working Americans (Reagan, Bubba).  He also tells funny jokes.

That said, not super psyched about his view of Exec power, individual liberties, and due process. But he's a post FDR President, so I repeat myself.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2016, 07:07:13 PM »

Option 2.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2016, 08:36:58 PM »

A fine President, better than most. But not as good as Eisenhower or Truman, or as much as I hate to admit it, Reagan.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2016, 08:57:28 PM »

Did you forget Truman, Eisenhower, JFK, Ford, Reagan, and H. W.?
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2016, 11:01:23 PM »

Did you forget Truman, Eisenhower, JFK, Ford, Reagan, and H. W.?

Only Truman was close.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2016, 11:53:17 PM »

We haven't really had a 'good president' since Ike IMHO, so no.

That said, of the post-Ike presidents he's probably the one I like the most. Hasn't committed treason (Nixon, Reagan), disgraced the office of the Presidency (Nixon again, LBJ), or (completely) sold out working Americans (Reagan, Bubba).  He also tells funny jokes.

That said, not super psyched about his view of Exec power, individual liberties, and due process. But he's a post FDR President, so I repeat myself.

This all sounds about right.
nicholas.slaydon
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2016, 12:14:58 AM »

This has to be a joke. Obama isn't even fit to polish the boots of FDR, let alone be the greatest president since. Eisenhower, LBJ, Truman and to some extent Nixon were all better than Obama.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2016, 12:25:43 AM »

This has to be a joke. Obama isn't even fit to polish the boots of FDR, let alone be the greatest president since. Eisenhower, LBJ, Truman and to some extent Nixon were all better than Obama.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

bruh u srs

I can understand finding Nixon a fascinating figure in American history. I can't understand ranking him as a good President.
nicholas.slaydon
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2016, 12:35:01 AM »
« Edited: July 29, 2016, 12:46:48 AM by nicholas.slaydon »

bruh u srs

I can understand finding Nixon a fascinating figure in American history. I can't understand ranking him as a good President.

Nixon ended the war in Vietnam, he opened relations with China and deescalated the Cold War, he ended the draft, he got us to the moon, he got the Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty with the Soviet Union and he enforced desegregation in the south.

All Obama has done is re-inflate the US economy, got us involved militarily in more countries the G.W. Bush, failed to reduce  the national debt, bailed out wall street while adding no new enforceable legislation, let criminal bankers walk free, let soldiers who illegally tortured people go without trial and prosecution, continued nation building in Iraq and Afghanistan, started the drone program, failed to close Guantanamo Bay, expanded NSA spying etc.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2016, 12:55:32 AM »

bruh u srs

Nixon ended the war in Vietnam, he opened relations with China and deescalated the Cold War, he ended the draft, he got us to the moon, he got the Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty with the Soviet Union and he enforced desegregation in the south.

All Obama has done is re-inflate the US economy, got us involved militarily in more countries the G.W. Bush, failed to reduce  the national debt, bailed out wall street while adding no new enforceable legislation, let criminal bankers walk free, let soldiers who illegally tortured people go without trial and prosecution, continued nation building in Iraq and Afghanistan, started the drone program, failed to close Guantanamo Bay, expanded NSA spying etc.

That's still nothing on purposefully and unnecessarily escalating Vietnam first with carpet-bombing on the side, beginning deregulation, using the IRS to target opponents, treason, trying to nominate segregationists to the Supreme Court, 1972 "dirty tricks".

Not even gonna bother with the obvious one.

Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2016, 01:11:12 AM »

bruh u srs

That's still nothing on purposefully and unnecessarily escalating Vietnam first with carpet-bombing on the side, beginning deregulation, using the IRS to target opponents, treason, trying to nominate segregationists to the Supreme Court, 1972 "dirty tricks".

Also you can place a lot of the blame for the destabilization of the Pahlavi Dynasty on Nixon and Kissinger having an entirely too trusting relationship with the Shah. They essentially cut him a blank check on weapons purchases (which had been CLOSELY controlled in the Ike, JFK, and Johnson admins) and allowed him to pursue oil price increases that destabilized the region.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2016, 01:12:39 AM »

How? Huh
nicholas.slaydon
Ukraine

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2016, 01:20:16 AM »

bruh u srs

Also you can place a lot of the blame for the destabilization of the Pahlavi Dynasty on Nixon and Kissinger having an entirely too trusting relationship with the Shah. They essentially cut him a blank check on weapons purchases (which had been CLOSELY controlled in the Ike, JFK, and Johnson admins) and allowed him to pursue oil price increases that destabilized the region.

You are correct, but we are comparing Nixon to Obama not Nixon to Ike, JFK and Johnson. And Obama has been to trusting with many dangerous nations when it comes to weapons deals, a prime example is Saudi Arabia, a nation which literally funds Al-Qaeda.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies