Would Trump refuse to concede?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:56:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Would Trump refuse to concede?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Would Trump refuse to concede?  (Read 1982 times)
emcee0
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 28, 2016, 10:05:03 PM »

I'm wondering if that would be a real possibility.
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 10:06:03 PM »

If it's 270-268 with her winning Ohio by a few hundred votes.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 10:09:41 PM »

If it's 270-268 with her winning Ohio by a few hundred votes.
Anyone should refuse to concede in those circumstances, of course. Or at least do the Nixon and say "it looks this way but we're not sure/we'll figure it out later but you can go home, thanks" type of thing.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 11:48:03 PM »

likely
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 11:58:51 PM »

I'm guessing there's a strong chance that he refuses to concede even if he loses decisively.  Or maybe he'll concede, but then un-concede a few days later based on some crackpot theory about the election being stolen.  I mean, he seems to believe whatever conspiracy theories his Twitter followers tell him about.
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 12:12:11 AM »

I'm guessing there's a strong chance that he refuses to concede even if he loses decisively.  Or maybe he'll concede, but then un-concede a few days later based on some crackpot theory about the election being stolen.  I mean, he seems to believe whatever conspiracy theories his Twitter followers tell him about.

Seriously?

Trump will respect the political process in the unlikely event that Untrustworthy Lyin' Crooked Hillary wins the election.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 12:27:48 AM »

He conceded and was quite respectful in the primaries he lost.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 12:35:27 AM »

Seriously?

Trump will respect the political process in the unlikely event that Untrustworthy Lyin' Crooked Hillary wins the election.

Sure, if by "respect the political process" you mean "inciting violence and sedition".

The look on his face when he gets perp walked on sedition charges will be priceless though. I just hope Clinton doesn't let him off (the way Obama let off the Bush administration crooks) out of fear for what his Trumpshirt followers will do.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2016, 12:37:20 AM »

He will concede and move to Moscow.
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2016, 12:37:48 AM »

Seriously?

Sure, if by "respect the political process" you mean "inciting violence and sedition".

The look on his face when he gets perp walked on sedition charges will be priceless though. I just hope Clinton doesn't let him off (the way Obama let off the Bush administration crooks) out of fear for what his Trumpshirt followers will do.
Name one primary that Trump lost that he didn't concede immediately, including Iowa.

Trump may have raised a stink that Cruz won it by lying about Ben Carson (mainly to score political points in future primaries/caucuses), but he certainly didn't deny reality.

And unlike a certain other candidate, he had no problem facing/answering questions from the press in the days after the losses.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2016, 12:46:15 AM »

That's because he knew he'd win the primary overall.

I really do think he'll refuse to concede.
emcee0
Canada

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2016, 12:47:59 AM »

But to "Crooked Hillary"?
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2016, 12:50:06 AM »

But to "Crooked Hillary"?
Of course. Both Crooked Hillary and the Donald respect the political process in that regard.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2016, 01:05:00 AM »

Seriously?

Name one primary that Trump lost that he didn't concede immediately, including Iowa.

Trump may have raised a stink that Cruz won it by lying about Ben Carson (mainly to score political points in future primaries/caucuses), but he certainly didn't deny reality.

And unlike a certain other candidate, he had no problem facing/answering questions from the press in the days after the losses.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

He's probably going to try to incite a coup or revolution; he'll concede gracefully after the Sun freezes over.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2016, 01:32:09 AM »

If it's even remotely close, he won't concede, at least not for a while. In a decisive win for Hillary, he'd probably concede, then vent on Twitter for a while.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2016, 01:36:58 AM »

He will concede and move to Moscow.
He owns a home in Idaho?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2016, 02:11:54 AM »

He won't concede, and likely won't actually understand that he can't indefinitely sue someone to make it so that he wins.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2016, 09:34:12 AM »

If he's elected, he'll concede D.C. to Vladimir Putin.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2016, 09:37:38 AM »

He’ll likely concede on election night (if it’s not close), but then come up with several stupid conspiracy theories right afterward.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2016, 09:49:41 AM »

Refusal to concede would be in bad taste, but not as bad as congratulating the victor by phone, then calling him back ten minutes later and retracting the concession as VP Gore did in 2000. 

Vulgar or not, a refusal would not have any practical effect.  It's the sort of sensationalist item that sells magazines and newspapers, so journalists and managing editors love it, but the constitution does not require the victor to wait for a Skype interview with his opponent before being sworn in.  The electors would still meet in December and cast their votes and a winner would be proclaimed.

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2016, 10:59:22 AM »

If he loses the election, whether he concedes or not, he still loses the election.

Conceding the election to your opponent is a mere formality, a gesture, not something that makes anything official. 
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2016, 11:10:25 AM »

I think the better question is, "Is the threshold for Donald Trump to concede, based on the closeness of the election outcome, higher than that of traditional candidates?"  Gore wasn't about to concede when less than 1000 votes separated him from Bush in Florida.  Nor should he have.  But when does Trump concede?  A 10,000 vote margin in a deciding state?  20,000?  50,000?

"I won Ohio.  Believe me, I won.  The exit polls prove I won.  There were crooked dealings, voter fraud, and miscounted votes, and I'm not giving up until we have answers."  
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2016, 11:15:43 AM »

Even if he doesn't, it makes no difference. People never understand that a concession is not required for an election to be certified. He won't concede no matter how much he loses by, because he's not sane enough to do it.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2016, 11:20:39 AM »

Even if he doesn't, it makes no difference. People never understand that a concession is not required for an election to be certified. He won't concede no matter how much he loses by, because he's not sane enough to do it.

Probably.  He has a reputation (and an ego) to maintain.  If he can "claim victory," he will.  No, it has no bearing on Clinton's swearing in, but he will go on insisting that he won the 2016 election until the day he dies.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2016, 11:42:30 AM »

Probably.  He has a reputation (and an ego) to maintain.  If he can "claim victory," he will.  No, it has no bearing on Clinton's swearing in, but he will go on insisting that he won the 2016 election until the day he dies.
So he'll be like Al Gore minus the hunt for manbearpig and the rape allegations?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies