Would Trump refuse to concede?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:24:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Would Trump refuse to concede?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Would Trump refuse to concede?  (Read 1983 times)
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2016, 11:53:23 AM »

Even if he doesn't, it makes no difference. People never understand that a concession is not required for an election to be certified. He won't concede no matter how much he loses by, because he's not sane enough to do it.

Probably.  He has a reputation (and an ego) to maintain.  If he can "claim victory," he will.  No, it has no bearing on Clinton's swearing in, but he will go on insisting that he won the 2016 election until the day he dies.
So he'll be like Al Gore minus the hunt for manbearpig and the rape allegations?

And minus having the Supreme Court, on a 5-4 vote, intervene and halt a recount that could have gone his way.  And minus not actually claiming he won once SCOTUS made its decision.  And probably minus having won the popular vote.  Plus the rape allegations and the hunt for Obama's "real" birth certificate.
cMac36
Rookie
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2016, 09:41:25 PM »

I am thinking he makes comments "My rallies are larger, I cannot actually be losing".

He is unlike past candidates.  I doubt he makes concession phone call.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2016, 09:54:50 PM »

That's a fair question. Would he be man enough to admit defeat and accept that Hillary -- a woman -- beat him? We'll find out soon enough.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2016, 09:59:36 PM »

No.  He is already saying that the election will be rigged.

I'm not sure what's less likely, Trump conceding or Trump making the debates.  I don't expect either to happen.
Fargobison

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2016, 10:01:13 PM »

I am thinking he makes comments "My rallies are larger, I cannot actually be losing".

It appears his campaign is formulating a "rigged election" strategy if they lose...

https://twitter.com/PGourevitch/status/760259258759909379
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2016, 10:14:24 PM »

It appears his campaign is formulating a "rigged election" strategy if they lose...

https://twitter.com/PGourevitch/status/760259258759909379

Because that can't POSSIBLY go wrong.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2016, 12:03:43 AM »

Trump says he’s afraid the election will be “rigged” and also calls Hillary Clinton the devil:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/aug/02/donald-trump-calls-hillary-clinton-the-devil-and-suggests-election-will-be-rigged?CMP=share_btn_tw

You must be logged in to read this quote.
OwlRhetoric

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2016, 12:06:54 AM »

What are the implications if Trump loses, openly refuses to concede, and calls the elections rigged?

Obama ordering his arrest?
Mass civil disturbance?

I'm honestly asking because this has never happened before. Seems like it could open a lot of unknown, dangerous doors if it goes that way.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2016, 12:17:22 AM »

What are the implications if Trump loses, openly refuses to concede, and calls the elections rigged?

Assuming that it isn't a Bush v. Gore type situation, and Clinton's victory is pretty unambiguous...

The first thing that would happen is that Republican elites (including many who were strongly advocating for him in the campaign) would turn on him, blame him for losing a winnable election, and call him an idiot for not conceding.  But the more interesting question is what do conservative media rabble rousers like Limbaugh and Hannity do?  Do they go all in supporting Trump's claims of fraud, or do they turn on him and blame him for losing because he wasn't a "real conservative"?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2016, 12:53:00 AM »

Assuming that it isn't a Bush v. Gore type situation, and Clinton's victory is pretty unambiguous...

The first thing that would happen is that Republican elites (including many who were strongly advocating for him in the campaign) would turn on him, blame him for losing a winnable election, and call him an idiot for not conceding.  But the more interesting question is what do conservative media rabble rousers like Limbaugh and Hannity do?  Do they go all in supporting Trump's claims of fraud, or do they turn on him and blame him for losing because he wasn't a "real conservative"?

I look forward with eager anticipation to the prospect of Trump, Rush, Hannity, et al. being arrested and legitimately and fairly charged with sedition and treason.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2016, 12:56:49 AM »

That would be great. Hopefully his supporters would take to the streets and we could round them all up. 
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2016, 12:58:41 AM »

That would be great. Hopefully his supporters would take to the streets and we could round them all up. 

BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2016, 06:57:56 AM »

He'll likely move to Houston, TX than any of those cities.

However, I'd think his family will try to convince him to concede no matter what. Especially if it were close, but expect him to spread conspiracies into why he lost.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2016, 06:43:26 PM »

If he doesn't win, it will only be because it was "stolen" from him.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-stolen-election_us_57a104c8e4b0e2e15eb7b3f0?section=&
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2016, 06:56:09 PM »

This man's legacy is going to be awful for this country. Has a single candidate ever done so much in 1 cycle to damage the legitimacy of both their own party and the country's institutions?

I really hope both sides of the aisle pile on Trump long after this election is done with. Destroy whatever positive views people have on him and delegitimize everything he has ever done. Destroy the viability of all his businesses.

It is utterly shameful that this man is an American.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2016, 02:17:26 AM »

Ha, looks like Hannity is already pushing #Rigged:

https://twitter.com/seanhannity/status/760671639520501760

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Still, while talk radio is likely to endorse #Rigged before the election, I still think it's an open question as to how much they'll still be talking about that once the election is over, and how much they'll pivot to "Trump blew the election because he wasn't conservative enough".
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2016, 03:04:02 AM »

He conceded and was quite respectful in the primaries he lost.

That's not entirely accurate.
Breton Racer
Harrytruman48
Rookie
United States

« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2016, 03:42:27 AM »

The man has the largest ego known to man, he won't concede until January of 2025.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2016, 08:13:23 AM »

The first thing that would happen is that Republican elites (including many who were strongly advocating for him in the campaign) would turn on him, blame him for losing a winnable election, and call him an idiot for not conceding.  But the more interesting question is what do conservative media rabble rousers like Limbaugh and Hannity do?  Do they go all in supporting Trump's claims of fraud, or do they turn on him and blame him for losing because he wasn't a "real conservative"?

I look forward with eager anticipation to the prospect of Trump, Rush, Hannity, et al. being arrested and legitimately and fairly charged with sedition and treason.

Yes, yes, you're an edgelord, we get it Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies