Would Obama Pardon Clinton if She Loses the Election?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:09:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Would Obama Pardon Clinton if She Loses the Election?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: If Clinton Were to Somehow Lose the Election, Would Obama Pardon Her?
Yes
No
Unsure
Not a relevant question
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Would Obama Pardon Clinton if She Loses the Election?  (Read 1803 times)
rbt48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 28, 2016, 10:21:56 PM »

If Trump were to win, it seems possible to me that his new AG could decide to bring charges against Clinton for failure to protect classified information.  So, this poll is to let you indicate if Obama would protect her from having to face trial, or at the very least, face punishment to include a lifetime ban from holding a security clearance or obtaining Federal employment.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 10:40:59 PM »

lol
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 10:46:07 PM »

I don't even know where to begin here.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 10:46:12 PM »

What is this even.... WHAT!?
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 10:49:01 PM »

Must be troll. No other way.
Trapsy

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 10:51:18 PM »

If Trump were to win, it seems possible to me that his new AG could decide to bring charges against Clinton for failure to protect classified information.  So, this poll is to let you indicate if Obama would protect her from having to face trial, or at the very least, face punishment to include a lifetime ban from holding a security clearance or obtaining Federal employment.

Reaganism to Trumpism.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 10:57:26 PM »

Cry harder.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 11:02:33 PM »

Aw, I love the poorly educated.
rbt48

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2016, 12:39:50 AM »

Wow, sincere thanks for all the condescending responses. 

To the extent that Trump might win, it seems like a perfectly appropriate question to me (obviously, or else I wouldn't have posed it).

Please enlighten me with the meaning of responses such as:
- lol
- Must be troll. No other way.
- What is this even.... WHAT!?
- I don't even know where to begin here.

I do appreciate any mature, reasoned responses.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2016, 12:56:21 AM »

To the extent that Trump might win, it seems like a perfectly appropriate question to me (obviously, or else I wouldn't have posed it).

- lol

Wow... okay, where to start.

"If Trump were to win, it seems possible to me that his new AG could decide to bring charges against Clinton for failure to protect classified information."

If Trump won, and he has to take office to even be able to appoint an AG of his own, Obama can no longer pardon HRC of anything because he's no longer in office.

Second, would this AG be prosecuting Clinton on a case for which the FBI concluded after an extensive investigation that there are no grounds (evidence) for prosecution? This directly implies the case would be lost and HRC wouldn't be found guilty of anything.

But let's ignore that reality and say she is somehow found guilty of something, Obama can't pardon her because he's no longer in office in 2017+.

"So, this poll is to let you indicate if Obama would protect her from having to face trial, or at the very least, face punishment to include a lifetime ban from holding a security clearance or obtaining Federal employment."

See above... Also, a pardon comes AFTER someone is found guilty of something. You can't pardon someone for something when they haven't done anything.

Your post demonstrates not only a clear misunderstanding of our system, but also a couple of basic logical missteps. What are we to conclude, but that you're trolling, really? Not to mention your premise for the entire thing is that HRC is charged for something that, after an extenuating investigation, she did-not-do.
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2016, 01:11:53 AM »

- lol

I think it's a reasonable question, with the reasonable answer being an obvious "yes."

Ford pardoned Nixon before charges were brought. Obama has the true "lame duck" portion of his term between November and January to go all Bill Clinton and pardon people because he can. I could see him preemptively pardoning Untrustworthy, Lyin' Crooked Hillary! during that time frame.

The four-year period from when Obama leaves office until the next Democrat President could assume the office is an eternity in politics. The pardon would likely be forgotten about by 2020.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2016, 04:16:19 AM »

Really? -_-
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2016, 07:17:49 AM »

He shouldn't. If Hillary loses, she deserves to go to jail for allowing Drumpf to win.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2016, 07:33:01 AM »

Pardon for what, exactly?
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2016, 12:02:35 PM »

If Trump were to win, it seems possible to me that his new AG could decide to bring charges against Clinton for failure to protect classified information.  So, this poll is to let you indicate if Obama would protect her from having to face trial, or at the very least, face punishment to include a lifetime ban from holding a security clearance or obtaining Federal employment.
If for whatever reason Trump had his AG bring charges against Clinton, it would turn into a political sh*tshow that would do serious harm to his administration.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2016, 12:04:47 PM »

anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2016, 02:26:06 PM »

He shouldn't. If Hillary loses, she deserves to go to jail for allowing Drumpf to win.

Indeed.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2016, 02:50:36 PM »

- lol

I've actually thought about this.  A former Republican AG (Michael Mukasey) has made the case for an indictment, so the possibility is not totally out of left field that Trump would actually attempt this.

I don't believe Obama would pardon her.  There's no upside to him, and he doesn't owe her in the least.  Right now, he's distanced himself from her negatives, and he's going to keep it that way.

I also think that if Trump wins, he will be restrained from pursuing this by his own party.  The prosecution of one's recent opponent by the candidate that defeated him/her for the Presidency would be an unspeakable precedent, one worthy of a Banana Republic, but not of the US.  Such a course of action would be the end of the possibility of success for a Trump Administration.  It would give the Democrats incentive to filibuster every GOP nominee and every GOP initiative, bringing gridlock to a new level. 

I don't think anyone REALLY believes that Hillary "endangered the Republic".  She lied, and she lied, and she lied, but not all lies merit prison.  I'm not one of the "Lock Her Up!" crowd.  I'm truly hoping that some perspective is gained over this.  Hillary was deceitful and reckless, to a level where her nomination should have been blocked by her political party, but it wasn't.  That being said, let the voters render the final verdict.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2016, 11:30:57 PM »

You can be pardoned for a crime that no one knows about/is not currently being prosecuted. Clearly the answer to the original post is no, but that's no reason to pretend that the OP was claiming that Obama might pardon Hillary after Obama has already left office. A preemptive pardon for the email related stuff would immunize her against future Pub overreach (which we clearly know is possible looking at Monica).

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2008/07/preemptive_presidential_pardons.html
rbt48

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2016, 10:04:54 PM »

You can be pardoned for a crime that no one knows about/is not currently being prosecuted. Clearly the answer to the original post is no, but that's no reason to pretend that the OP was claiming that Obama might pardon Hillary after Obama has already left office. A preemptive pardon for the email related stuff would immunize her against future Pub overreach (which we clearly know is possible looking at Monica).

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2008/07/preemptive_presidential_pardons.html
Thank you. 
If you look at the history of Presidential pardons, there have certainly been several for crimes that may have been committed even when no charges have been brought.  No charges had been brought against Nixon when Ford pardoned him.  Caspar Weinberger had been charged with nothing when he was pardoned.

In case anyone needs this clarifying, of course I meant the possibility of Obama issuing the pardon before noon, Jan 20, 2017. 

Thanks for all the reasoned responses!
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2016, 10:19:44 PM »

No. Hillary Clinton did not break the law and those who say she did are grasping at straws because their candidate is So. Embarrassingly. Unqualified.
rbt48

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2016, 11:15:59 PM »

I bring this topic back to the forefront for these reasons:

- Trump has been elected.
- In the last debate, he stated he would pursue prosecution with his new AG.
- Obama could end the possibility of her facing charges by pardoning her for any crimes she may have committed while she was SoS or any other period of time.
  -- It would probably be a favor for Trump as he would be freed from a campaign promise that he would probably not want to pursue now that he wants to be the magnanimous victor.

Please chime in with comments!
‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.87

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2016, 11:28:50 PM »

Still no reason to. If James Comey himself couldn't find any dirt on her (even though he desperately wanted to), there's really no crime I could see her being guilty of, unless Obama's going to waive her parking tickets.
Panda Express

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2016, 11:30:07 PM »

I bring this topic back to the forefront for these reasons:

- In the last debate, he stated he would pursue prosecution with his new AG.

I hope you didn't actually believe that. You're going to be VERY disappointed these next four years.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies