Newspaper/Magazine Endorsements Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:56:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Newspaper/Magazine Endorsements Megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Newspaper/Magazine Endorsements Megathread  (Read 22787 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: August 03, 2016, 01:17:25 AM »

The Columbus Disgrace will probably endorse Trump.

I seriously wonder. I think the Dispatch will go "no endorsement". It'll never back Hillary , but is too close to Kasich and respectable to go for Trump.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 10:35:18 PM »

I'm really interested in reading any major newspaper that endorses Trump, if one exists.

This. The only question in my mind for the Columbus Dispatch is whether they'll go "No Endorsement" over Clinton. Which would still be the first time since 1912 they haven't endorsed the Republican.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 10:53:21 PM »

I'm going to guess that the Chicago Tribune will endorse a Democrat for the 3rd cycle in a row...after endorsing only Republican POTUS candidates for over 100 years. 
I would agree. Their editorial board is definitely not Trump people.

Definitely indeed. They're Kasich-types. Word was in 2008 they were so disenchanted with W, that there was serious consideration of endorsing Obama. They held to McCain, though.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 11:00:01 PM »

I'm going to guess that the Chicago Tribune will endorse a Democrat for the 3rd cycle in a row...after endorsing only Republican POTUS candidates for over 100 years. 
I would agree. Their editorial board is definitely not Trump people.

Definitely indeed. They're Kasich-types. Word was in 2008 they were so disenchanted with W, that there was serious consideration of endorsing Obama. They held to McCain, though.

False:  http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2008-10-19/news/chi-tribune-2008-presidential-endorsement_1_endorsement-obama-first-african-american-president

Sorry, I failed to notice Whitesox was talking about the Tribune. I was still talking about the Columbus Dispatch.

Definitely time to slow on the bourbon. Tongue
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 05:18:12 PM »

hasn't the Post endorsed Trump?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 03:30:13 PM »

The WSJ doesn't do presidential endorsements (or at least not in recent years). Of the top 100 papers in the US there are 11 that endorsed the Republican in the last 3 elections. 

New York Post
The Dallas Morning News
The Arizona Republic (Phoenix)
The San Diego Union-Tribune
Las Vegas Review-Journal
Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
Arkansas Democrat-Gazette (Little Rock)
Investor’s Business Daily (Los Angeles)
The Cincinnati Enquirer
The Columbus (OH) Dispatch
Omaha World-Herald

Of that list only 2 have endorsed so far this year and both endorsed Clinton (Dallas Morning News and Cincinnati Enquirer). Trump will probably get some endorsements from this list  (NYPost, Las Vegas Review Journal, Investors Business Daily, Omaha World-Herald and maybe a couple more)

A hometown tabloid rag like the Post I could see, but the others? IBJ would never want the economic ramifications of Trump in the Oval Office. I'm not that familiar with the others. What about their Editorial Board is so crazy they'd choose Trump over Johnson or no one?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 10:53:52 PM »

I think only the Columbus Dispatch and the New York Post endorse Trump.

disagree. I think Dispatch will go no none of the above. if they endorse Trump it will kill circulation even more.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 09:54:24 PM »

Coming in from all sides now - Akron Beacon Journal endorses Clinton (they endorsed Obama last time):

http://www.ohio.com/editorial/editorials/hillary-clinton-for-president-1.714360

Not at all surprising. I lived there for several years and the ABJ has always been a liberal paper.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 09:58:33 PM »

So, for the moment it is

Clinton 12
Johnson 4
None 2
Trump 0

Broken down by 2012 endorsement:

Clinton 12 (Obama 6, Romney 5, None 1)
Johnson 4 (Obama 1, Romney 2, Unknown 1)
None 2 (Romney 1, None 1)
Trump 0

Strictly speaking, Trump does have ONE endorsement.  The Santa Barbara News Press (CA) endorsed him back in June.  Not sure if they will stick with it now though.

Citation please?  If it was an endorsement, I'll add it to the list.

Here you go - you can see the endorsement headline, but to read it you have to register:

http://www.newspress.com/Top/Article/article.jsp?Section=EDITORIALS&ID=567560425525346324

Also note that the News Press is somewhat "controversial":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Barbara_News-Press_controversy

But, it is an endorsement.

This endorsement was for the primary. It should not be counted as an endorsement until they offer a general election endorsement.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2016, 10:52:21 AM »

We need to include on the main page a list of first-time (or at least in a long time) Democratic endorsements (or at least non-Republican endorsements, plus those in a very very long time)

E.g. cinci enquierer; USA Today
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2016, 08:13:27 PM »

Probably the closest Trump came to a newspaper endorsement.  The Bakersfield Californian says they won't endorse anyone (but urge readers to make up their own minds and vote):

http://www.bakersfield.com/opinion/our-view-presidential-decision-the-lesser-of-two-evils/article_8f99852e-28dd-53c0-a4d5-25a67df149bd.html

Hardly:

"Donald Trump, the Republican nominee, is erratic, reckless, coarse and utterly lacking in statesmanship. He has a less-than-solid grasp of policy issues and shows little interest in changing that. His candidacy has alarmed conservative U.S. leaders and America’s global allies alike."

They slam Clinton (not quite as bad, IMO), but this is hardly a "lean Trump" semi-endorsement.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2016, 12:21:11 PM »

The Columbus Dispatch endorsed Hillary Shocked

Holy $hit!
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2016, 12:23:49 PM »

can someone remind me which 2 2012 Obama endorsing papers went for Johnson? Thanks!
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2016, 08:26:36 PM »

A few pages back I posted the list of 11 major (top 100) papers that endorsed the Republican in the last 3 elections.  As of now 5 out of 11 have endorsed (all for Clinton).

Endorsed Clinton
The Dallas Morning News
The Arizona Republic (Phoenix)
The San Diego Union-Tribune
The Cincinnati Enquirer
The Columbus (OH) Dispatch

Not Endorsed yet
New York Post
Las Vegas Review-Journal 
Arkansas Democrat-Gazette (Little Rock) 
Investor’s Business Daily (Los Angeles)
Omaha World-Herald

If Trump is going to get any major newspaper endorsements, these are still his best shot. 

i seriously question whether the Trib would offer better for Hillary than anendorsement. The paper's late owner used his inherited Mellon fortune to by up suburban papers and turn it into a right wing rag. More importantly , considering he was the original sugar daddy of every Bill and Hillary conspiracy hunting outfit throughout the 90's, and further was known for such statements such as calling a liberal. Activist to her face a "communist c**nt", if he hadn't kicked off this mortal coil 2 years ago I'd give thhe Trib the secon highest chance of endorsing Trump after the Post.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2016, 12:41:51 AM »

If you're wondering why hardly any newspaper is endorsing Trump. Unlike most candidates, he has adopted an anti-media tone in his campaign. He has called journalists as dishonest as politicians at almost every rally.

Thus you're seeing the papers fight back by never endorsing him.
FTFY

You're right. I tried finding one paper that would endorse him....nope.

Yeah, hate all the media all you want, but if you portray journalists as evil people don't expect a paper endorsement.

Heck if TV/Radio stations could endorse candidates, we'd the same result I bet.

every Republican presidential ::candidate has run against the liberal media to one degree or another for over 50 years.  for the last 20 yeaars it's become particularly increeasing pervasive.

no, Trumpis simply in a deplorable class all his own.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2016, 04:25:35 PM »

Rachel Maddow just said that the Santa Barbara News Post endorsed Trump. First to do so.

IIRC the Santa Barbara News Post has a very dodgy history.

This was already discussed, long before Rachel Maddow heard Smiley, (page 4 of this thread) and it was decided that the News Press endorsement is probably more of a primary one. The link is below:
http://www.newspress.com/Top/Article/article.jsp?Section=EDITORIALS&ID=567560425525346324

The picture that they showed had many more endorsements. Like they were endorsing Sanchez for the Senate.

My guideline has been to count endorsements only if there was some kind of verifiable evidence; if not a link to the story, a screenshot is OK.  I've left out several reported endorsements where I couldn't find anything.  I watched the Maddow clip and the dateline on the list of endorsements is Oct. 12, so this is clearly a general election endorsement and not the primary one that PeteB mentioned.  As such, I'll add it to the list.  This brings the total to:

Daily papers (135) --
Clinton 108 (Obama 45, Romney 19, None 13, unknown 31)
Not Trump 10 (Obama 1, Romney 2, None 6, unknown 1)
Nobody 10 (Romney 4, None 6)
Johnson 6 (Obama 2, Romney 3, None 1)
Trump 1 (unknown 1)

Non-daily papers (5) --
Clinton 5 (Obama 3, None 2)

For the record, that is what I was arguing to do, back on page 4 Smiley - recognize it as the first (and so far only) Trump newspaper endorsement.

The reason it didn't stick at the time was that some of you felt that a June endorsement (two months before the convention, and coinciding with the CA Primary) was a primary endorsement and not a GE one. I still think it should count (unless The News Press retracts it Smiley).

Yes, but the June endorsement also listed Del Beccaro as their endorsement for Senate.  Since he lost in the primary, it seems pretty clear that this was indeed their list of primary endorsements.  The new list shows them endorsing Sanchez for Senate in the general election.  But it's kind of moot, since the new one definitely counts as a Trump endorsement. Smiley

Unless my computer didn't bring up the whole screen, they don't even try explaining or defending their endorsement. They just list him as "endorsed".
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2016, 12:45:23 AM »

Isn't this the first Democratic Presidential endorsement by the Omaha World Herald in like a billion years ?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2016, 12:12:05 AM »

Isn't this the first Democratic Presidential endorsement by the Omaha World Herald in like a billion years ?

Since 1932 to be exact.

And BTW, it seems like Trump got his first endorsement!

Not his first.  He was also endorsed by the Santa Barbara News Press (see discussion upthread).

He was also endorsed by The National Enquirer

seriously?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2016, 01:59:01 PM »
« Edited: November 01, 2016, 02:03:38 PM by Badger »

Of the top 100 circulation papers in the country only 14 which endorsed in 2012 haven't yet endorsed this time.  

12 endorsed Romney - not endorsed yet in 2016
New York Post
Daily News (Los Angeles, CA)
The Tampa Tribune
Investor's Business Daily (Los Angeles, CA)
Arkansas Democrat-Gazette (Little Rock, AR)
The Press-Enterprise (Riverside, CA)
The Florida Times-Union (Jacksonville, FL)
The Post and Courier (Charleston, SC)
Telegram and Gazette (Worcester, MA)

4 endorsed Obama - not endorsed yet in 2016
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
The Blade (Toledo, OH)
The News Journal (New Castle County, DE)
New Haven Register (New Haven, CT)

Bear in mind Romney only got 35 endorsements from the Top 100 in 2012 so 1/3 of those haven't been able to make up their minds. Obama got 41 and less than 10% still haven't endorsed.   So far the only Top 100 paper to go with Trump is the LV Review Journal

I can't conceive of any Obama 2012 paper endorsing Trump, but I think it's safe to say that both the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette and the Toledo Blade are safe for Hillary. The biggest question to me is what the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review will do. As I mentioned in an earlier post, their founder was one of the Great antique Clinton conspiracy theory sugar daddies of the far-right throughout the nineties comma though he died 2 years ago. If you were still alive I'm sure he'd force and endorsement of trump seeing help other billionaire ideologues like Sheldon did so with their newspapers and he would take whatever hit necessary. With him gone however I don't know if you had a total board is willing to take such a controversial stand rather than stick with a much safer none of the above.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies