Help! I don't understand! (where can I find "Id. at *89."?)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:47:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Help! I don't understand! (where can I find "Id. at *89."?)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Help! I don't understand! (where can I find "Id. at *89."?)  (Read 1205 times)
Sorenroy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -5.91

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 30, 2016, 05:50:43 PM »

I really have no background in any of this, and I have never read a legal opinion before. If one of you could help me out that would be great.

So I was reading over the Fourth Circuit's opinion on the NC photo ID laws, and read this line:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I wanted to look further into it, but there was no footnote, and there are no endnotes. Does anyone know where I can find what they referenced, and also find where they have all the Id.s so I can reference them in the future (none of them are referenced anywhere on the document)?
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 06:01:13 PM »

The citations are in the body of the text. Look to the previous citation clause before the "Id." Here it looks like they're citing to the District Court opinion, N.C. State Conf. of the NAACP v. McCrory.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 09:26:47 PM »

SteveRogers is correct in what you should do. "Id." means "the same". It's an abbreviation for the last fully written citation. If there's no page number after the Id. it means they're citing something on the same page as the previous citation.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 05:12:06 PM »

Thought for sure it was "Ibid". An abbreviation, perhaps?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 07:25:31 PM »

I can't stand citations in the text. Makes it much harder to follow, I think.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 05:23:19 AM »

Thought for sure it was "Ibid". An abbreviation, perhaps?
Both "Id." and "Ibid." are abbreviations of "idem" and "ibidem" respectively meaning "the same" and "in the same" respectively. There used to be a distinction made between the use of the two terms and their respective abbreviations, but the exact distinction differed and now almost no one really cares but as a general rule legal citations use "Id."

(When a distinction is made, ibidem is always a more exact match of the previous citation than idem. Some hold that ibidem should only be used if the exact same citation, without any changes at all and thus to cite another part of the same work, "Id. at *89" has to used. Others hold "idem" should be used only if the author is the same but a different work is being cited, thus to cite another part of the same work "Ibid. at *89" is required. Consult the style guide used by whomever you submit your work.)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies