Johnson Says He Will Appoint Justices Like Breyer and Garland
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:11:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Johnson Says He Will Appoint Justices Like Breyer and Garland
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Johnson Says He Will Appoint Justices Like Breyer and Garland  (Read 2464 times)
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 31, 2016, 08:34:55 PM »

http://hotair.com/archives/2016/07/29/gary-johnsons-vp-wed-be-looking-to-appoint-supreme-court-justices-like-stephen-breyer-and-merrick-garland/

How can any NeverTrumper support this if they care about social issues
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 08:43:45 PM »

None of the four "major"/"main minor" candidates this year are pro-life. Trump is paying really cheap lip service. Clinton, Johnson and Stein are pro-choice.

So you can either vote for Trump or you can stay home.

Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 09:09:35 PM »

None of the four "major"/"main minor" candidates this year are pro-life. Trump is paying really cheap lip service. Clinton, Johnson and Stein are pro-choice.

That is a good point. I couldn't care less about the abortion issue as I'm not female and don't want children. But for those it matters, makes you wish Ron or Rand Paul was in there.

Also: I want Andrew Napolitano in there for Scalia's spot.  I want a strict Constitutionalist.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 09:19:19 PM »

That is a good point. I couldn't care less about the abortion issue as I'm not female and don't want children. But for those it matters, makes you wish Ron or Rand Paul was in there.

Also: I want Andrew Napolitano in there for Scalia's spot.  I want a strict Constitutionalist.

God, this is a terrible post.

Why would you not care about abortion because you aren't female and don't want kids? That's like saying you don't mind slavery because you aren't Black and don't own a farm.

Also, both Pauls are pro-life.

You should be ashamed.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 09:19:47 PM »

You call a man who would bring back Lochner as natural law a "strict Constitutionalist"? Scalia is rolling in his grave.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 09:25:05 PM »

It was Weld who said that. Again, bad VP choice.
OwlRhetoric

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 09:26:14 PM »

Johnson isn't appointing any justices with a 5-7% national ceiling.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 09:28:41 PM »

Johnson's getting pretty liberal lately! I like it!
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2016, 09:35:09 PM »

How can any NeverTrumper support this if they care about social issues

They don't.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2016, 09:37:14 PM »

Why would you not care about abortion because you aren't female and don't want kids? That's like saying you don't mind slavery because you aren't Black and don't own a farm.

You should be ashamed.

It's the neo-libertarian way. Self-centered ideology.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2016, 09:38:04 PM »

Johnson is getting tiresome. I wanted him to win the LP nomination when I assumed he would run as the Gary Johnson of 2012 and not this new "fiscally conservative, socially liberal Smiley" candidate.
cMac36
Rookie
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2016, 09:39:15 PM »

It's funny it does seem that much of Johnson's vote is disaffected Bernie supporters rather than disgruntled conservatives except in Utah area.  Probably a pander.  Kind of Goofy.  Has Breyer been Libertarian-friendly on Commerce Clause??  That is what they care about most not social issues
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2016, 09:40:45 PM »

You should be ashamed.

It's just not an issue that's important to me.  Gun rights/control aren't important to some people. Same difference.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2016, 09:41:33 PM »

Johnson is the closest to the type of libertarian I am, I just wish he was more eloquent in his campaigning and less awkward. The Paul's are too religious and conservative on social issues for me, I am pro-choice and believe the decision should be left to the mother.
cMac36
Rookie
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2016, 09:41:59 PM »

You should be ashamed.

Do the Pauls support Federal regulation of abortion or just repeal of Roe v Wade, and then state-by-state laws?
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2016, 09:47:38 PM »

You call a man who would bring back Lochner as natural law a "strict Constitutionalist"? Scalia is rolling in his grave.

Not sure what exactly you're referring to here? The case or the Era? The case seems to still hold today because I knew plenty of IBMers working 70 hours a week.
mencken
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2016, 09:50:42 PM »

So Trump has suggested more libertarian Supreme Court nominees than the Libertarian candidate for President?
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2016, 09:54:17 PM »

So Trump has suggested more libertarian Supreme Court nominees than the Libertarian candidate for President?
Yeah
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2016, 09:57:26 PM »

Individualist ideology.  I don't like central planning, groupthink, etc.  "A person is smart; people are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

For abortion: I rather not kill a fetus if necessary, because non-aggression principle.  But there are some extenuating circumstances that mitigate that. I'm not a part of that conversation because it doesn't affect me personally.
cMac36
Rookie
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2016, 09:58:36 PM »

Individualist ideology.  I don't like central planning, groupthink, etc.  "A person is smart; people are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

For abortion: I rather not kill a fetus if necessary, because non-aggression principle.  But there are some extenuating circumstances that mitigate that. I'm not a part of that conversation because it doesn't affect me personally.

Well I mean man what is politics but to take positions on issues that affect the society?
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2016, 09:58:47 PM »

Johnson isn't appointing any justices with a 5-7% national ceiling.

Hillary already broke one glass ceiling, let's break another.
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2016, 10:00:09 PM »

Well I mean man what is politics but to take positions on issues that affect the society?

OK, but you have issues that are more important to you, right? Issues that affect you or people in your life directly? Sure you do, and you're lying if you say you don't.  Abortion is just way down the totem pole for me.
cMac36
Rookie
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2016, 10:04:33 PM »

OK, but you have issues that are more important to you, right? Issues that affect you or people in your life directly? Sure you do, and you're lying if you say you don't.  Abortion is just way down the totem pole for me.

Yeah but I don't draw a straight line with the impacts me is therefore important.  I guess that's because I have enough money to live etc obviously if I was poor pensioner I would be fixated on Social Security.  The way you wrote it is, not effect you you don't care which isn't the case for most people who would have these convos on their free time.  Whether you care about abortion or not is something only you can answer obviously.  I don't care about guns for example/
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2016, 10:06:25 PM »

Breyer, Garland and Kennedy: a SCOTUS of three!
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2016, 10:40:21 PM »

Johnson is getting tiresome. I wanted him to win the LP nomination when I assumed he would run as the Gary Johnson of 2012 and not this new "fiscally conservative, socially liberal Smiley" candidate.

Sooo... Libertarian then, as that's the definition of the ideology.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies