Nina Turner: Green Party VP?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:48:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Nina Turner: Green Party VP?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Nina Turner: Green Party VP?  (Read 887 times)
JMT

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 31, 2016, 09:34:10 PM »

I'm actually surprised I haven't seen a post about this yet, but I just read that Nina Turner, a former Ohio state senator and prominent Bernie Sanders advocate, is in consideration for Jill Stein's VP. Jill Stein has reached out to Turner about the position, and Turner will reportedly decide whether to join the ticket within the next few days. What are your thoughts about this development?

http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2016/07/nina_turner_weighing_offer_to.html
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 09:40:18 PM »

I'm actually surprised I haven't seen a post about this yet, but I just read that Nina Turner, a former Ohio state senator and prominent Bernie Sanders advocate, is in consideration for Jill Stein's VP. Jill Stein has reached out to Turner about the position, and Turner will reportedly decide whether to join the ticket within the next few days. What are your thoughts about this development?

http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2016/07/nina_turner_weighing_offer_to.html
I've been wondering about Stein's VP pick. I assumed she'd tap some rando party activist/Green perennial candidate. The woman who called Rick Scott an asshole (Cara Jennings) was on my radar actually since she's big in the Florida Greens and was an elected official in the neighboring town of Lake Worth.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 09:44:16 PM »

I was thinking maybe Bill Kreml, or Cheri Honkala. Nina Turner could work too, though I doubt it'll actually happen given the makeup of the Green Party.
JMT

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 09:45:45 PM »

I've been wondering about Stein's VP pick. I assumed she'd tap some rando party activist/Green perennial candidate. The woman who called Rick Scott an asshole (Cara Jennings) was on my radar actually since she's big in the Florida Greens and was an elected official in the neighboring town of Lake Worth.

I also thought it would likely be a random activist or perennial candidate, Nina Turner would be a pretty large recruit. I guess Turner has to decide if joining the national ticket for the Green Party is worth it, or if she should refuse and instead stay in politics as a Democrat who attracts Bernie supporters. I could see Turner having a large role in a future Democratic Party that's more progressive, so I'm sure that's something she's thinking about too. Accepting a role in a Green Party ticket may hurt her chances in future Democratic primaries. So I guess we'll see what happens, the article makes it seem like Stein has officially offered Turner the position and she is waiting for Turner's response.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 10:00:02 PM »

I have to imagine that she'll be receiving a call from a certain Vermont Senator to convince her out of it.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 10:03:53 PM »

I have to imagine that she'll be receiving a call from a certain Vermont Senator to convince her out of it.
Seeing as she is p**sed at the Dems for what happened at the convention. I'd be surprised if she listened.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 10:04:13 PM »

Is Jill Stein hiring Bronz to chair her vice presidential search committee?
Nina Turner for Clinton veep?
Would Nina Turner be a better vice presidential pick who can appeal to Sanders voters for Clinton than Elizabeth Warren? Yes, she never held federal office, she was a state senator from the Cleveland, Ohio area. However, she is very energetic and could energize black and Latino voters, and would be very good at debating in the vice presidential debate. Would she overshadow and outshine the Clintons, something that they probably don't want?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy3POGnetfE
Same thread:
WTF?  Why not just pick Jill Stein if you're going to pick a Hillary hater with little to no political experience or qualifications?  lol
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 10:19:01 PM »

Nah. Nina Turner wants a future. She endorsed Sanders for that reason.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2016, 10:22:29 PM »

Is Jill Stein hiring Bronz to chair her vice presidential search committee?
Nina Turner for Clinton veep?
Would Nina Turner be a better vice presidential pick who can appeal to Sanders voters for Clinton than Elizabeth Warren? Yes, she never held federal office, she was a state senator from the Cleveland, Ohio area. However, she is very energetic and could energize black and Latino voters, and would be very good at debating in the vice presidential debate. Would she overshadow and outshine the Clintons, something that they probably don't want?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy3POGnetfE
Same thread:
WTF?  Why not just pick Jill Stein if you're going to pick a Hillary hater with little to no political experience or qualifications?  lol

Haha, haha! Turner is very energetic, and she could cause problems for Clinton in some states like WA, OR, etc.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2016, 10:22:48 PM »

Turner went from a Clinton supporter to a Sanders supporter, so I would be surprised if she ended up working with Stein. At this point there probably isn't even a connection between her and Sanders, because she claims that she was thrown out of the convention. That equals higher odds of her being Stein's VP choice.

Her future was gone when she lost badly in 2014 for Ohio Secretary of State.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2016, 10:23:29 PM »

That would be brilliant. Just wish Stein was a stronger candidate to have it mean something.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2016, 10:23:57 PM »

Turner went from a Clinton supporter to a Sanders supporter, so I would be surprised if she ended up working with Stein. At this point there probably isn't even a connection between her and Sanders, because she claims that she was thrown out of the convention. That equals higher odds of her being Stein's VP choice.

Her future was gone when she lost badly in 2014 for Ohio Secretary of State.

She could run for Governor in 2018, or be an liberal commentator or join a progressive activist group.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2016, 10:25:23 PM »

Seeing as she is p**sed at the Dems for what happened at the convention. I'd be surprised if she listened.

What happed at the convention to annoy her other than Bernie not being nominated by acclamation?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2016, 10:27:49 PM »

She could run for Governor in 2018, or be an liberal commentator or join a progressive activist group.

There is no chance she would even make it out of the primary. Commentating on obscure left-wing sites is probably what she will end up doing.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2016, 10:28:05 PM »

What happed at the convention to annoy her other than Bernie not being nominated by acclamation?

Supposedly she was told that she was going to put Sanders name into nomination after Tulsi Gabbard, but was told the day off by Bernie that it wasn't going to be allowed. No reason was given.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2016, 10:29:27 PM »

That would be fantastic! It would mean an end to her political career!
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2016, 10:30:26 PM »

Supposedly she was told that she was going to put Sanders name into nomination after Tulsi Gabbard, but was told the day off by Bernie that it wasn't going to be allowed. No reason was given.

I mean, I would've rather have Turner put in the name anyways, but that's just me (and my hatred for the Gabbard family)
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2016, 10:43:35 PM »

Supposedly she was going to try and put her name into nomination for VP, so she was not allowed to take the stage. There was a push by some Sanders people to nominate her for VP. Bernie Sanders had to sit her down to avoid her making a scene.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2016, 11:09:18 PM »

Supposedly she was going to try and put her name into nomination for VP, so she was not allowed to take the stage. There was a push by some Sanders people to nominate her for VP. Bernie Sanders had to sit her down to avoid her making a scene.
I mean, random State Senators have done that before. Case in point, the late Julian Bond.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2016, 11:33:01 PM »

That would be fantastic! It would mean an end to her political career!
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2016, 09:38:28 AM »

LoL at Nina Turner for Governor in 2018. Somehow I just don't see Ohio electing a progressive black woman statewide. She probably wouldn't even win the primary due to her steadfast support of Sanders in a strong Hillary primary state (twice).
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2016, 09:57:41 AM »

I thought Nina Turner reached out to her and begged to be on the ticket?  Whatever.  Seems like this is going to happen.  Especially if Stein reached out to Turner, whose political career went down in flames after she got slaughtered by 25 points in an Ohio SoS race that was polling even at the start despite having Bill Clinton(!) campaign for her.  She's nothing but an anti-Hillary gadfly at this point and joining the green party ticket is the logical continuation of that career path.

As for the convention, because the Berners are pettifogging it by lying or leaving out important details, what actually happened was that she went around Monday bragging to everyone that she was going to rip Hillary a new one in her speech, then the DNC asked to see the speech and she wouldn't give it to them, so they complained to Bernie and he replaced her with someone else as she marched outside with tape over her mouth while writing furiously on her phone about how she was being silenced.

By the way, does she actually have much in common with Jill Stein or is the Green Party not even pretending to be anything more than the anti-Hillary party at this point?
Fusionmunster

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2016, 11:09:07 AM »
« Edited: August 01, 2016, 11:12:44 AM by Fusionmunster »

Turner was still working for the democratic party in Ohio before joining the Sanders campaign and I'm sure enough fences can be mended where she can get some position of authority again if she wanted it. However if she joins the Green Party ticket, she's done, persona non grata. I don't know if she's just petty, angry, or overestimating her importance, but a woman with 80,000 twitter followers and 50,000 facebook likes will not make any electoral importance come November and if she's willing to throw away any future she has with the party then I have a bridge to sell her.

The #ImWithNina hashtag got about 35,000 retweets btw after she got booted from the convention. So while I sympathise with her, and I see how talented she is, I question her judgement if she really thinks Jill Stein is worth her future with the democrats. She's not some beloved martyr of the left.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2016, 02:28:19 PM »

https://twitter.com/JoyAnnReid/status/760171863716814848

Joy Reid saying Nina Turner not going to accept VP offer and that she's a democrat.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2016, 04:31:51 PM »

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies