HILL: GOP confidence in Senate majority builds
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:46:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  HILL: GOP confidence in Senate majority builds
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: HILL: GOP confidence in Senate majority builds  (Read 2567 times)
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 01, 2016, 09:29:11 AM »

Call me skeptical,

But then again the Democratic candidates running in places like Ohio, Florida, and Pennsylvania are low energy.

However, ANGRY NEW HAMPSHIRE WOMEN WILL VOTE AGAINST AYOTTE IN DROVES!!!!!!!

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/289763-gop-confidence-in-senate-majority-builds
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 09:42:43 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yeah no, these people are talking out of their asses.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 09:44:22 AM »

Reading about how they think New Hampshire is still winnable AND a presidential swing state makes me feel sick.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 11:10:09 AM »

20 Million Dollars of D spending in NH? They must have missed the memo about angry women making Hassan inevitable.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 02:06:49 PM »

Why did this need to be posted? A party predicting that they will be victorious is hardly worthy of discussion.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 02:31:24 PM »

The Republicans better enjoy their Senate majority while it lasts because the demographic changes are eventually going to push them to the side.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 02:35:56 PM »

They can deny it all they want, but they have little hope of holding Illinois and Wisconsin, Indiana went from a near lock to a serious problem, and Colorado's off the map. If Democrats win two more seats, they get the senate (assuming Hillary wins), and Republicans only losing one of AZ/FL/MO/NV/NH/NC/OH/PA is a tall order to say the least.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2016, 12:49:55 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Oh, running from Trump? Clearly they are adopting a wildly successful strategy from Democrats, used in 2010 and 2014. Curious what they will have to say when a wave comes and wipes the smile off their faces in November.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 01:00:43 AM »

And Republicans said they'd win back Congress in 2008. And Democrats did in 2014. Who cares?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2016, 05:17:11 AM »

Triage Ohio.

The rest are still winnable by Democrats.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2016, 06:08:42 AM »

Triage Ohio.

Ohio is still winnable by Democrats.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2016, 10:25:07 AM »

Triage Ohio.

Ohio is still winnable by Democrats.

If Strickland starts running a better campaign.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2016, 11:04:21 AM »

Triage Ohio.

That would be a BIG mistake, at least this early out.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2016, 11:26:15 AM »

Portman is one of those Republicans who champion a late surge strategy, building up a tremendous warchest and then bombing the Democrat into submission in August and September.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2016, 12:14:40 PM »

Portman is one of those Republicans who champion a late surge strategy, building up a tremendous warchest and then bombing the Democrat into submission in August and September.

If money decided elections , Blanche Lincoln' would still be senator though Tongue
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2016, 02:53:06 AM »

Triage Ohio.

Ohio is way too costly. It's a simple matter of cost-benefit analysis; for the amount that'll be spent in OH on an unwinnable race, DSCC et al could more effectively target several other swing state races or even roll the dice on expanding the map. Strickland isn't going to help Clinton win OH (she'll help him, though) and he is under-performing by far too much to justify spending $100 million or whatever ungodly amount will be spent there...only for him to lose.

If it was a more leaning-GOP state and the Democratic candidate was down by a few points, I could actually understand trying to upset things, but this is a state where Democratic money will be met dollar-for-dollar and will end up being a wash; the party with the better infrastructure will overperform and for somebody like Strickland, having a Senate infrastructure above and beyond what Clinton's campaign will bring is redundant.

It'll take nothing short of a big wave to oust Portman and if said wave were to occur, I don't buy the notion that it'll be achieved/missed by throwing tons of money at a Senate race...especially when Democrats aren't going to have a money advantage in the state. Let Strickland raise what he can, let Clinton's campaign handle turnout and support strategies, and put that money to good use elsewhere. If it weren't Portman specifically, I'd expect Strickland to outperform Clinton, but alas...maybe Portman will have a "'macaca' moment" or something.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2016, 12:49:10 PM »

I'm predicting D+3/4.  Just short of a majority.

Dems pickup IL, WI, IN and NH.  GOP may offset that with a pickup in NV. 
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2016, 01:01:27 PM »

As of now I have 5 (Some locks):

IL, IN, NH, PA, and WI

If Trump continues to self-destruct, these too could move to the Democrats (Away from Toss Up-Likely R):

FL, IA, MO, OH

Really hard to see how Republicans hold the Senate.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2016, 01:21:20 PM »

As of now I have 5 (Some locks):

IL, IN, NH, PA, and WI

If Trump continues to self-destruct, these too could move to the Democrats (Away from Toss Up-Likely R):

FL, IA, MO, OH

Really hard to see how Republicans hold the Senate.
Apparently, you have forgotten AZ and NC as well.

BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2016, 03:30:30 PM »

Triage Ohio.

Ohio is way too costly. It's a simple matter of cost-benefit analysis; for the amount that'll be spent in OH on an unwinnable race, DSCC et al could more effectively target several other swing state races or even roll the dice on expanding the map. Strickland isn't going to help Clinton win OH (she'll help him, though) and he is under-performing by far too much to justify spending $100 million or whatever ungodly amount will be spent there...only for him to lose.

If it was a more leaning-GOP state and the Democratic candidate was down by a few points, I could actually understand trying to upset things, but this is a state where Democratic money will be met dollar-for-dollar and will end up being a wash; the party with the better infrastructure will overperform and for somebody like Strickland, having a Senate infrastructure above and beyond what Clinton's campaign will bring is redundant.

It'll take nothing short of a big wave to oust Portman and if said wave were to occur, I don't buy the notion that it'll be achieved/missed by throwing tons of money at a Senate race...especially when Democrats aren't going to have a money advantage in the state. Let Strickland raise what he can, let Clinton's campaign handle turnout and support strategies, and put that money to good use elsewhere. If it weren't Portman specifically, I'd expect Strickland to outperform Clinton, but alas...maybe Portman will have a "'macaca' moment" or something.
You don't know what you're talking about.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2016, 05:39:37 PM »

Triage Ohio.

Seconded
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2016, 05:47:14 PM »

Triage Ohio.

Seconded
I think Adam does know what he is talking about.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2016, 06:09:55 PM »

Triage Ohio.

Seconded

Most of the time he does.  This is not one of those times.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2016, 03:35:55 AM »

Triage Ohio.

Seconded

Coattails, coattails, coattails.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2016, 09:47:43 AM »

Republicans are favored in one Democratic-leaning state (Nevada.)

If this holds, they can afford to lose 4 senate seats.

They're probably most vulnerable in Illinois, Indiana, New Hampshire, and Wisconsin.

As long as they can keep Florida, Ohio, and Pennsylvania, they'll probably win.

Of course, this doesn't leave much room for error. If Nevada's AG starts taking off, if McCain loses the primary to State Senator Chemtrails, or if a moron wins in Louisiana, the math becomes tougher.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies