IN - SEN 2016: Who wins?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:45:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IN - SEN 2016: Who wins?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Who wins the 2016 Indiana Senate election?
Former Indiana Sen. Evan Bayh (D-IN)

Rep. Todd Young (R-IN)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 107

Author Topic: IN - SEN 2016: Who wins?  (Read 2942 times)
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2016, 09:40:51 AM »

Bayh.

He has a massive lead in the one poll done so far.

This suggests that voters still like him despite the way he dropped out last time, and his late entrance this time. Those were probably the major hurdles he had to clear.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2016, 09:42:18 AM »

Bay, norrowly.
Stańczyk
matnnar
Rookie

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2016, 07:52:39 PM »

Bayh, but having Pence on the ballot will hurt him.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2016, 08:30:05 PM »

quite the opposite - it shows one person who ran Indiana competently (Bayh) and one who ran the state incompetently (Pence). There will be no favorite son bounce because of Pence, bet money on it friend.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2016, 11:04:35 AM »

Young, by a narrow margin.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2016, 11:05:20 AM »

I'm really pulling for Young and this race is far from certain, but my gut says Bayh will pull out a small win.
Have there actually been any polls that show Bayh winning?
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2016, 11:43:14 AM »

I'm really pulling for Young and this race is far from certain, but my gut says Bayh will pull out a small win.
Yes, two DSCC internals. Sad
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2016, 02:04:23 PM »

Evan Bayh of course.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2016, 04:05:23 PM »

If the election was held tomorrow then  Evan Bayh would win. However Todd Young pulls out a narrow victory in November.
^^^
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2016, 04:09:24 PM »

Two DSCCC internals show him up 20+.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2016, 03:32:53 PM »

The key term there is "DSCC internals."
Slow Learner
Battenberg
United Kingdom

« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2016, 03:41:30 PM »

The key term there is "DSCC internals."
20+ leads tho.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2016, 08:03:56 PM »

quite the opposite - it shows one person who ran Indiana competently (BayhPence) and one who ran the state incompetently (PenceBayh). There will be no favorite son bounce because of Pence, bet money on it friend.

More like my tweaks than your original comment Maxwell. Pence will actually give the GOP a bump and thus Young wins (though Young should step aside for Stutzman)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2016, 08:08:18 PM »

quite the opposite - it shows one person who ran Indiana competently (BayhPence) and one who ran the state incompetently (PenceBayh). There will be no favorite son bounce because of Pence, bet money on it friend.

More like my tweaks than your original comment Maxwell. Pence will actually give the GOP a bump and thus Young wins (though Young should step aside for Stutzman)

How about this: After the next non-internal/Gravis/junk poll for the race is shown, we'll make a gentlemen's bet about whether or not Young gets over 50% or whatever.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2016, 09:10:32 PM »

This race is winnable for the Republicans if they play their cards right. Evan Bayh strikes me as a low energy politician from another era (when many deep red states had safe Democratic Senators), who has never been significantly challenged since perhaps his days as Governor. His polls numbers are a reflection of the name and a longing/nostalgia for a different era. Introducing Bayh to the new reality, will bring his poll numbers down to earth.

There is no denying that Bayh is a Clintonista. The very fact that he is willing to run now should illustrate that fact. My recommendation would be to tie him to Clinton and hammer him as a rubber stamp. Bring up Obamacare, immigration, even trade if necessary. Most likely Indiana votes for Trump and even if it don't, it will be with extreme reluctance and misgivings about Clinton and thus plenty of appetite for someone who will stand up and hold her accountable.  

Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2016, 07:34:51 AM »

This race is winnable for the Republicans if they play their cards right. Evan Bayh strikes me as a low energy politician from another era (when many deep red states had safe Democratic Senators), who has never been significantly challenged since perhaps his days as Governor. His polls numbers are a reflection of the name and a longing/nostalgia for a different era. Introducing Bayh to the new reality, will bring his poll numbers down to earth.

There is no denying that Bayh is a Clintonista. The very fact that he is willing to run now should illustrate that fact. My recommendation would be to tie him to Clinton and hammer him as a rubber stamp. Bring up Obamacare, immigration, even trade if necessary. Most likely Indiana votes for Trump and even if it don't, it will be with extreme reluctance and misgivings about Clinton and thus plenty of appetite for someone who will stand up and hold her accountable.  

I'm not so sure this is a smart move, but it is definitely doable, especially given Bayh's vote for Obamacare. I don't think you're going to run ahead of Trump by tying your opponent to his opponent.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2016, 07:47:29 AM »

Evan Bayh is legitimately somewhat protectionist. He filibustered Rob Portman's nomination as U. S. Trade Representative.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2016, 02:45:01 AM »

I'm not so sure this is a smart move, but it is definitely doable, especially given Bayh's vote for Obamacare. I don't think you're going to run ahead of Trump by tying your opponent to his opponent.

For one, I don't think he is going to have to out run Trump because I think Trump wins IN by a handful of points and all Young needs to do is narrowly beat Bayh.

Evan Bayh is legitimately somewhat protectionist. He filibustered Rob Portman's nomination as U. S. Trade Representative.

You paint Bayh as a rubber stamp for Clinton and then harp on Clinton and NAFTA/TPP.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2016, 07:41:34 AM »

For one, I don't think he is going to have to out run Trump because I think Trump wins IN by a handful of points and all Young needs to do is narrowly beat Bayh.

You paint Bayh as a rubber stamp for Clinton and then harp on Clinton and NAFTA/TPP.

There is no rubber-stamp for Clinton without a solidly Dem House and 60 votes in the Senate.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2016, 11:45:13 AM »

Besides opposing the Iran Deal, his very long record as Governor and the fact that he's not at all liked by Latte Liberals (like myself) will make this difficult.

Just attack him as a lobbyist
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2016, 03:13:25 PM »

There is no rubber-stamp for Clinton without a solidly Dem House and 60 votes in the Senate.

Most voters don't pay attention to those details and yet historically, it has been an effective attack for both parties.

Besides opposing the Iran Deal, his very long record as Governor and the fact that he's not at all liked by Latte Liberals (like myself) will make this difficult.

Just attack him as a lobbyist

The point is to establish that there is nothing about Bayh's record that will induce him to say no to Hillary and that is likely true. If she needs him, he will be there. There is a reason just weeks after Clinton clinches the nomination, that Bayh suddenly shows up wanting a job back he allegedly hated.

If this were Bob Casey Jr. or Joe Manchin, that argument would be tougher to make for obvious reasons. For Bayh it is incredibly easy.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2016, 03:21:11 PM »

You never go in with just one prong on attack. Forgive me, but I prefer multi-directional attacks.

1. When they needed his vote for Obamacare, he was there.
2. Rather than face the voters, he than ran...so far away to become a lobbyist living in another state.
3. Now that Clinton is the nominee, Bayh back so that when she needs him, he'll be there.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2016, 03:27:57 PM »

I never called Bayh a rubber stamp for Clinton. He most definitely isn't that. Bayh could be considered a bit corporatist, but on that issue in particularly he definitely has some strong similarities to a labor Democrat/Scoop Jackson Democrat.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2016, 09:50:18 PM »

I'll still say Bayh, but he clearly can't sleepwalk through this election.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies