Have you ever cheated on a significant other? / Is cheating always wrong?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:46:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Have you ever cheated on a significant other? / Is cheating always wrong?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Have you ever cheated on a significant other? / Is cheating always wrong?
Yes, I have cheated

No, I have not cheated

I have never been in a serious relationship

Cheating is wrong

Cheating can be acceptable under reasonable circumstances

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 70

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Have you ever cheated on a significant other? / Is cheating always wrong?  (Read 1193 times)
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 01, 2016, 07:25:30 PM »

Some of you know that my parents' marriage has fallen apart over the last year and that this process was exacerbated by extra-martial activities on the part of my dad. If you didn't know, now you do. Tongue

I accept it even though I don't particularly like it, because I realize I will never be in his shoes and can't know why he did what he did or what truly led him to do it. I believe it's more of a symptom of the failing marriage than the cause, but my mom is certainly not interested in approaching the situation with any kind of open mind.

So reflecting on this experience as well as my own relationship, I've been thinking a lot about cheating. I've been trying to put myself in the shoes of both the cheater and the cheated on, and I think that sometimes it could be more morally grey than it's often made out to be in Western society. Just curious what people's thoughts and experiences are on the matter.

I realize this might be an instance of hiding behind the poll, and that's fine.

As for the definition of cheating, I left it vague on purpose because I expect people would reasonably be able to determine when their behaviour has crossed a certain line (and I respect that the line may be different for different people/relationships).
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 07:43:06 PM »

Sorry to hear about your parents, Hagrid Sad
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 07:48:47 PM »

*implies most Atlas posters have been in a relationship*

I, of course, have not
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 07:52:21 PM »

No/It's acceptable, but slightly wrong, if you're getting divorced/are separated.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 07:54:05 PM »

Cheating is wrong, but you have to look at it on a case-by-case basis to judge fully.  I don't agree with people who say "If he cheated once, he will cheat again" when dismissing someone.  Unfortunately, I think an honest survey would find that the majority of marriages involve cheating by at least one spouse at some point, and the successful marriages are probably better at hiding it (obviously not in ALL cases).

I haven't ever cheated, but I can easily, from my own experience, see how good people end up in situations where it happens.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 07:54:49 PM »

Why do you think it's more morally grey than most people make it out to be?
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 07:56:55 PM »

Cheating is wrong, but if someone was in a loveless, abusive relationship, then I'd probably give the abused a pass.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 08:03:15 PM »

I've never cheated, and I believe that it is wrong, even if it's understandable why some people would.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 08:39:09 PM »

No I have never cheated, First husband cheated on me though, That's why he's the ex.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 08:40:46 PM »

Cheating is wrong, unless someone is getting abused or oppressed.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2016, 08:40:47 PM »

Options 3 and 4.  I would urge you not to do that, Hagrid.  Imagine how you would feel if your SO cheated on you, too - not just in general.  Be honest if the relationship isn't as good as you wanted it to.

(I do believe that victims of abuse have a good reason, though.)
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2016, 10:31:32 PM »

Options 3 and 4.  I would urge you not to do that, Hagrid.  Imagine how you would feel if your SO cheated on you, too - not just in general.  Be honest if the relationship isn't as good as you wanted it to.

FTR, I am not considering cheating. I am interested in gauging whether this is a common thing and deciding if my dad is a complete SOB or just a bit of one.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2016, 10:36:48 PM »

Options 2 and 4

I have not nor would I ever do so (not a monster) and cheating is morally repugnant at best regardless of the circumstances.  Sorry about your parents, Hagrid Sad
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2016, 10:38:47 PM »

Options 2 and 4

I have not nor would I ever do so (not a monster) and cheating is morally repugnant at best regardless of the circumstances.  Sorry about your parents, Hagrid Sad

Give me a break!  The majority of men will cheat at one point in their life.  It's truth.  They're not all monsters, it goes much deeper than that.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2016, 10:44:35 PM »

No, primarily because there's never been a significant other.

And this Sad :
evergreenarbor

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: -8.43

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2016, 10:53:02 PM »

Cheating is wrong, but if someone was in a loveless, abusive relationship, then I'd probably give the abused a pass.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2016, 10:56:24 PM »

Options 2 and 4

Give me a break!  The majority of men will cheat at one point in their life.  It's truth.  They're not all monsters, it goes much deeper than that.

I call bullsh!t on the bolded part.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2016, 11:00:32 PM »

2/4 (normal)

I mean, I'm sure we can concoct scenarios in which it would possibly be acceptable, but they're very rare. The vast majority of the time there's no excuse for it.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2016, 11:02:40 PM »

2/4 (normal)

I mean, I'm sure we can concoct scenarios in which it would possibly be acceptable, but they're very rare. The vast majority of the time there's no excuse for it.
What about after filing for divorce?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2016, 11:05:56 PM »

2/4 (normal)

Yeah, I'd have no problem with that. Or in an abusive relationship, things of that nature. But like 99% of cheating is not conducted in these narrow circumstances, which was my point.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2016, 11:06:49 PM »

2/4 (normal)

Yeah, I'd have no problem with that. Or in an abusive relationship, things of that nature. But like 99% of cheating is not conducted in these narrow circumstances, which was my point.
Why exactly does Newsom get so much hate for "cheating" after filing for divorce, then?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2016, 11:08:07 PM »

Also, yes, I have.  Made me feel really shltty about myself, and I haven't done it since.  I didn't have any good reason besides an old fling being interested.  To be fair, I didn't think I liked the girl I cheated on ANYWHERE near as much as I eventually liked her, and there certainly wasn't any cheating after that.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2016, 11:14:05 PM »

Options 3 and 4.  I would urge you not to do that, Hagrid.  Imagine how you would feel if your SO cheated on you, too - not just in general.  Be honest if the relationship isn't as good as you wanted it to.

FTR, I am not considering cheating. I am interested in gauging whether this is a common thing and deciding if my dad is a complete SOB or just a bit of one.

Oh, I misread the OP - sorry.  But I don't think we determine if something is right or wrong based on how often it occurs.  I also don't think there's much you can do about your father's cheating, unfortunately.  That has to be worked out between him and your mom.  I really hope things turn out best for you and your family, though.

I'm also going to call BS on Brown Line's claim unless he has something to back it up...
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2016, 11:17:03 PM »

I'm also going to call BS on Brown Line's claim unless he has something to back it up...

It's absolutely true, and I base it off personal experience.  I have no doubt.  It's probably upwards of 70% of men, especially those in their 20's.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2016, 11:19:12 PM »

It's absolutely true, and I base it off personal experience.  I have no doubt.  It's probably upwards of 70% of men, especially those in their 20's.

This isn't how it works.  But even if that were true, it doesn't excuse the behavior.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies