Polygamous Towns/Counties, Presidential Results
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:10:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Polygamous Towns/Counties, Presidential Results
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Polygamous Towns/Counties, Presidential Results  (Read 9042 times)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 22, 2005, 03:15:18 AM »

I got some of this information from Alcon a few days ago, and I thought some of you may find it interesting.

Colorado City, AZ: Bush 606, Badnarik 11, Kerry 1
This is one of two cities that was the subject of a disastrous 'polygamy raid' in the 1950s, and since then the government has turned a blind eye.  The other town was...

Hildale, UT: Bush 327, Other 5, Kerry 2

Another odd city is
Rocky Ridge, UT: Bush 79, Peroutka 73, Badnarik 1, Kerry 0

After Alcon showed me this result, I did a Google search on the city and found the following information:
Median resident age: 13.5 years
Median household income: $31,944 (year 2000)
Median house value: $0 (year 2000)
0.0% Foreign born

Not only polygamous, but definitely incestuous too.

Rocky Ridge and Hildale, UT are part of Washington County, UT.  Unfortunately I cannot find the link where I got this quote, but here it is anyway:  "It's come at a good time to give us a chance to be of better service to our constituents," the sheriff said. "We're the fastest growing county in Utah. We're adding 400 to 500 people a month and we don't show any signs of slowing down."

Any other blatantly polygamous county or town results?  Tongue
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 03:18:16 AM »

That's really ed up, and creepy to boot. Imagine being the lone Kerry voter in an incestuous, fanatically Mormon sh**thole.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 03:21:17 AM »

That's really f**cked up, and creepy to boot. Imagine being the lone Kerry voter in an incestuous, fanatically Mormon sh**thole.
While no longer condoned by the mainstream Mormon church, it's still pretty common in Utah and parts of northern Arizona, and I imagine that some mainstream Mormons still preach polygamy despite the fact that it's usually practiced by the FLDS and other break away groups.  Mormonism is one scary cult in general.  Anyway, check out this link, it's got some pretty good info on the subject:
http://www.religioustolerance.org/lds_poly2.htm
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 03:24:47 AM »

That's scary. I have (non-Mormon) relatives living in Utah, and they tell me the issue is a major one in local news.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 03:26:00 AM »

That's scary. I have (non-Mormon) relatives living in Utah, and they tell me the issue is a major one in local news.
What's your position on that by the way?  I oppose the government recognizing polygamy or bigamy since it encourages incest, wife-swapping, statutory rape, and other nasty sh**t.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2005, 03:28:46 AM »

I'm normally strongly for personal freedom, but that's where I draw the line. Letting some 45-year old marry his niece (a common situation in this type of "culture") is disgusting, and should be ruthlessly suppressed.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005, 03:34:23 AM »

Yeah.  Stories about 14-year-old boys getting new wives that belonged to their father or even grandfather are common in these communities, and when there aren't enough women the men resort to screwing 10-year-olds.  I'm surprised opebo condemns religion so much, surely he'd make an exception for fundamentalist Mormonism.  Tongue

Some favorite quotes:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2005, 03:41:25 AM »

I'm surprised opebo condemns religion so much, surely he'd make an exception for fundamentalist Mormonism.  Tongue

This is quite the dilemma for him... are they prudes, or freedom fighters? Wink

Harrod promotes sex with children as an educational rite of passage from childhood to adulthood, an affidavit filed with the complaint said.

That's particularly sick. What a freak.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2005, 03:41:53 AM »

Damn, those are blowout Bush. You can't find an area of Berkeley that has as few Bush votes as those areas have Kerry votes. That median age is crazy, and don't they have houses or something?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2005, 03:43:44 AM »

Damn, those are blowout Bush. You can't find an area of Berkeley that has as few Bush votes as those areas have Kerry votes. That median age is crazy, and don't they have houses or something?
I'm not sure how to explain the house thing.  What bugs me most is that 0% of the town is foreign born, and with an average age of 13.5, you know that place is incest-mania.

(Interestingly, the LDS church supports abortion in cases of incest, just as a side note.)
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2005, 03:44:17 AM »

That median age is crazy, and don't they have houses or something?

Yeah, that's weird... Maybe they don't let outsiders in to assess property value.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2005, 03:44:40 AM »

Yeah, that's weird... Maybe they don't let outsiders in to assess property value.
Maybe they all live together... Shocked Tongue
PADem

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2005, 03:46:06 AM »

Hmm... I'd be interested to see what the Mormons on the forum have to say about this.. I can't exactly remember who they are - there is (or was two). I remember one is a R-Idaho....
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2005, 03:47:07 AM »

Hmm... I'd be interested to see what the Mormons on the forum have to say about this.. I can't exactly remember who they are - there is (or was two). I remember one is a R-Idaho....
Cowboy (D-WY) is an ex-Mormon, and from what I could tell, he hated it (he purposely called it the LSD church rather than the LDS church).
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2005, 03:47:11 AM »

They're living like Moroni told Joseph Smith to; they're pure. Everyone else is, quite obviously, sinning. Tongue
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2005, 03:49:40 AM »

They're living like Moroni told Joseph Smith to; they're pure. Everyone else is, quite obviously, sinning. Tongue
Did you ever hear about how one of the church presidents got in trouble about that?  It made me burst out laughing when I first read it (in a book called "The Kingdom of the Cults," which is a Christian book, but an excellent resource on Mormonism and Jehovah's Witnesses).  Woodrow Willdruff, the third or fourth president, conveniently had a revelation condemning polygamy in 1890, so Utah could be admitted into the Union.  The president after him got in trouble with the law because he still had several wives, and his defense was, "When I accepted President Willdruff's revelation, I did not realize I was expected to disregard all of my wives..."
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2005, 03:52:11 AM »

LOL Cheesy
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2005, 04:26:25 AM »

Our resident Mormon used to be Mr Fresh, and I'm pretty sure there's only one thing in this thread he'd take offense to (well, possibly the thing just above this post as well) This one:
While no longer condoned by the mainstream Mormon church, it's still pretty common in Utah and parts of northern Arizona, and I imagine that some mainstream Mormons still preach polygamy despite the fact that it's usually practiced by the FLDS and other break away groups.  Mormonism is one scary cult in general.  Anyway, check out this link, it's got some pretty good info on the subject:
http://www.religioustolerance.org/lds_poly2.htm
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2005, 08:13:21 AM »

I'm normally strongly for personal freedom, but that's where I draw the line. Letting some 45-year old marry his niece (a common situation in this type of "culture") is disgusting, and should be ruthlessly suppressed.

It was fairly co,mon in euro royal familiaes. Tongue
dougrhess

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2005, 09:37:01 AM »

Maybe they all live together... Shocked Tongue

Maybe the stats are just wrong? Otherwise, I assume zero to really mean "not available." I guess it depends on the source and method. In a small town, it might be that property changes hands so rarely that there isn't enough recent data to make an informed estimate. Or do they go off tax assesments instead of sales?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2005, 09:42:57 AM »

It's probably from Census 2000...ie, it's probably the owner's own estimate. Or maybe it means they all rent (from the church), and the rent due is 0,00 $.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2005, 10:23:43 AM »

Some more info on Rocky Ridge, from the Census.

Population - 403 (Juab County 8,238. Utah 2.233 mio)

Non-hispanic white only percentage: 98.0% (Juab: 95.2%. Utah: 85.3%)

Median age by gender: Females 15.0 Males 12.6 (Juab 27.1/25.8. Utah 27.7/26.7) This is further evidence I guess - young adult males leaving.

No. of households, and average household size: 61 / 6.61 (Juab: 3.31 Utah: 3.13)

Percentage of households of the following type: "Female Householder, no husband present, own children under 18": Utah 5.8% Juab: 5.7% Rocky Ridge: 42.6% Any questions? That's 26 households. In 22 of them, there are own children under 6.

Percentage of households who rent: 88.5 (Juab: 20.2, Utah 28.5)

Percentage of adults (15+) to be never married: male 50.5%, female 42.2% (elsewhere: 20s.)

An even cooler stat: Of 45 married men, 38 are listed "spouse present", 0 "separated", 7 "spouse not present - other".
Of 67 married women, 33 are listed "spouse present", 7 "separated", 27 "spouse not present - other". Huh

136 of 160 residents in the labor force work in the place.

Units in structure - 1, detached - 20% (Juab: 80%. Utah, 68%)
1, attached - 54% (Juab: 3%, Utah 5%)
1, mobile home - 26% (Juab 10%, Utah 5%)
more than 1 - 0% (Juab 7% Utah 22%, these figures by unit, not by structure)

Percent of households who rent: 89% (Juab: 20%. Utah: 29%)

Rent: 8x 150-200 dollars. 8x 400-450 dollars. 32x no cash rent. Note that these figures come from the sample sent to about one in seven households, and obviously represent 1, 1, and 4 actual households.

Owner-occupied structures estimated at 175-200K, median.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2005, 10:47:10 AM »

Some more info on Rocky Ridge, from the Census.

Percentage of households of the following type: "Female Householder, no husband present, own children under 18": Utah 5.8% Juab: 5.7% Rocky Ridge: 42.6% Any questions? That's 26 households. In 22 of them, there are own children under 6.

An even cooler stat: Of 45 married men, 38 are listed "spouse present", 0 "separated", 7 "spouse not present - other".
Of 67 married women, 33 are listed "spouse present", 7 "separated", 27 "spouse not present - other". Huh

*snickers*  Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure... Roll Eyes

That must be one large 'group quarters'...and of course you don't charge 'family' rent. Cheesy *snickers again*
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2005, 10:49:38 AM »

I believe Mr. Fresh is our lone Mormon voice on the forum -- he's defended what he's believed in pretty well in the past.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2005, 10:50:45 AM »

I believe Mr. Fresh is our lone Mormon voice on the forum -- he's defended what he's believed in pretty well in the past.
I think he's out on his missionary bit at the moment. I can't wait for him and Ebowed to encounter each other. Grin
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies