Lebanon communist leader killed in bombing
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:47:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Lebanon communist leader killed in bombing
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Lebanon communist leader killed in bombing  (Read 2322 times)
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 22, 2005, 04:04:20 AM »

BEIRUT (Reuters) - An anti-Syrian politician was killed in Lebanon on Tuesday when a bomb ripped through his car, two days after parliamentary elections brought victory for an alliance opposed to Damascus' role in the country.

George Hawi, a former leader of the Lebanese Communist Party, died instantly in the blast in the Wata Musaitbi neighborhood of Beirut, witnesses and security sources said.

"After the explosion, the car kept going and then I saw the driver screaming and he jumped out of the window. We rushed to the car and saw Hawi in the passenger seat with his guts out," Rami Abu Dargham, who owns a sandwich shop nearby, told Reuters.

The 400-gram (one pound) charge was under the passenger seat of Hawi's Mercedes and was detonated by remote control, judicial sources said. His driver apparently escaped serious injury.

It was the second killing of an anti-Syrian figure in Beirut this month. Newspaper columnist Samir Kassir was killed on June 2 when a similar explosion destroyed his car outside his home.

The United States said after Kassir's killing it had information about a Syrian hit-list targeting Lebanese leaders. Damascus denied the claim and denounced Hawi's killing.

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice accused Syria of destabilizing its tiny neighbor.

"There is a context and an atmosphere of instability. Syria's activities are part of that context and a part of that atmosphere and they need to knock it off," she told reporters as she flew to Brussels on a tour of the Middle East and Europe.

Syria bowed to global and domestic pressure to withdraw its troops from Lebanon in April after the assassination of former Prime Minister Rafik al-Hariri in a truck bombing in February.

A U.N. team that visited Lebanon certified that Syria had ended its 29-year military presence. But U.N. chief Kofi Annan ordered the team back after Kassir's killing amid claims by Lebanese anti-Syrian figures that Syrian spies remained.

U.N. investigator Detlev Mehlis questioned the head of Lebanon's presidential guard as part of an international probe into Hariri's killing and his office and home were searched. Annan was "appalled to learn of yet another assassination," spokeswoman Marie Okabe said.

He urged the authorities "to bring promptly to justice the perpetrators and the instigators of today's callous crime and to put an end to impunity and acts of intimidation," she said.

Hawi's stepson, himself a critic of Damascus, blamed remnants of the pro-Syrian security agencies, though Lebanon's top security chiefs have resigned in recent months.

"The security agencies continue to kill the democrats and are trying to assassinate democracy in Lebanon and the independence uprising," Rafi Madoyan told reporters. "It is not just George Hawi, there are many others on the hit list."

About 3,000 people held a candlelit vigil for Hawi on Tuesday night, some holding flowers or his picture.

Syrian-backed President Emile Lahoud, himself under pressure from some politicians to resign over the string of killings and explosions, denounced the murder and promised to investigate.

Lebanon has asked for U.S. help investigating the killing and an FBI team is on the way, a U.S. embassy official said.

"With regard to the persistent suggestion that the president is linked to the so-called security state, everyone knows that he does not directly supervise the security agencies," the presidency said in a statement.

"Is it a coincidence that this crime happens today, a few hours after the end of parliamentary elections which the world saw take place democratically?"

Lebanon's elections were won by an anti-Syrian alliance led by Saad al-Hariri, the son of the slain former prime minister.

Prime Minister Najib Mikati, a friend of Syria's president, and his interim government stepped down on Tuesday.

The new parliament will first meet on June 28 to appoint a speaker. It must also nominate a prime minister to head a cabinet Syria's critics are expected to dominate. Mikati and Hariri are frontrunners.

A giant of a man, Hawi, 67, opposed the arrival of Syrian troops early in Lebanon's 1975-1990 civil war but later formed an alliance with them against pro-Israeli Christian militias.

Under Hawi, the Communist Party was at the forefront of a left-wing National Resistance movement that fought with Palestinian guerrillas against the Israeli invasion in 1982.

It was Lebanon's main resistance to Israeli occupation before the mid-1980s rise of Shi'ite Muslim Hizbollah, which like the Palestinian factions, condemned Hawi's killing.

Hawi fell out with the Syrians who dominated Lebanon's political order after the war and had been a critic ever since. He did not openly join the anti-Syrian opposition that gained prominence after Hariri's killing, but played an important role behind the scenes, bringing together its disparate members.

AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 08:58:51 AM »

The only good communist is a ____ communist.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 10:50:54 AM »

Hezbollah bastards. I guess the right wingers will all love Hezbollah now?
TX_1824
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.06, S: 2.17

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2005, 10:04:46 AM »

Hezbollah bastards. I guess the right wingers will all love Hezbollah now?

Nah, they're still bastards. Anything to break-up Hezbollah or Islamic Jihad is good thing. Even if he was a former communist.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2005, 03:06:27 AM »

Extreme Leftism is a better way to combate Islam than than extreme rightism.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2005, 11:12:00 AM »

Extreme Leftism is a better way to combate Islam than than extreme rightism.

Islamic fundamentalism is the ultimate form of extreme rightism.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2005, 11:36:58 AM »

You got that right. Osama bin Laden is definately a far right winger. He's a multimillionare who made his money off real estate (definately not leftists) and wants to create an ultra-socially conservative theocracy (definately not leftist). So what the hell is he?
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2005, 11:37:05 AM »

uh no.

Theocracy is not "right-wing" because it is not nationalist, it's internationalist and authoritarian.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2005, 11:49:18 AM »

how many leftists want a theocracy?

Islamic fundamentalists are also rabidly anti-communist, see the mujahadeen. Islamism is definately a far right ideology.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2005, 05:00:52 PM »

The only good communist is a ____ communist.

The only good communist is a dead communist.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2005, 11:12:40 AM »

The only good neoconfederate is a dead neoconfederate.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2005, 11:13:37 AM »

The only good rocket is an actively posting rocket.

Are you back in the US, or have you simply found some internet access?
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2005, 01:36:21 AM »

The latter.. I will be heading up to Kashmir tommorow for 2 days and will not probably have any access.. But when I get to Islamabad after that.. I will be able to go on the internet.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2005, 12:32:49 AM »

The latter.. I will be heading up to Kashmir tommorow for 2 days and will not probably have any access.. But when I get to Islamabad after that.. I will be able to go on the internet.

Looking to join Al Qaeda I suppose? Cheesy
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2005, 05:35:01 AM »
« Edited: July 06, 2005, 08:08:41 AM by phknrocket1k »

Heh.. no.

But Pakistan has gotten more religous-conservative..

Thus quite sad. :-(

Despite the religousity of the country, you only have to be 16 to enter a strip club, although the laws are probably not enforced.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2005, 08:20:43 PM »

yeah, it makes tons of sense for an atheist to join an Islamic fundamentalist terrorist group.  Roll Eyes
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2005, 08:37:41 PM »

yeah, it makes tons of sense for an atheist to join an Islamic fundamentalist terrorist group.  Roll Eyes

Dude, it was a f'in joke regarding him going to Kashmir.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies