Meg Whitman endorses Hillary
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:51:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Meg Whitman endorses Hillary
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Meg Whitman endorses Hillary  (Read 1551 times)
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2016, 11:22:19 PM »

Notice how the National Review crowd/corporate world is flocking to Hillary. I thought she was supposed to be progressive or something?

Meg Whitman is the CEO of Hewlett Packard Enterprise and formerly of HP.

What does her company need?

H1-B visas -- Trump is hostile to this program, as was runner-up Cruz

Federal Bureaucracy -- most non-military government contracts go to IT services provided by companies like Hewlett Packard Enterprise; it's a virtuous circle of designing and implementing systems, and then having to redesign and reimplement them a few years later due to some arcane legal/administrative change; mainstream Democrats are the best bet for preserving this gravy train, since Movement Conservative Republicans oppose it on principle and Trumpist Republicans oppose it because they'd rather spend money on building walls

Everything is much more complicated than the past few posts...

As an individual with 20+ years associated with HP working at over three of their largest facilities in NA,  what I do know it this....

1.) HPE is a Multi-National-Corporation (MNC). Global HQ is based out of Palo Alto, where Senior Management represent all of the nations of the world, and where the top Execs have a wide variety of ethnic/religious/country of origin backgrounds. The Trump train is toxic, not only to Senior Mgmt that represent countries from throughout the world, but also to Software and Hardware Engineers, where many employees aren't necessarily native born, but are American Citizens of 2nd generation Asian-American background.

2.) The culture of Silicon Valley is based upon talent and skill-sets, and is one of the most ethnically diverse regions of the country. The very concept of "Trumpism" or "White Nationalism" doesn't create much traction at all, in an environment and corporate culture that is much more Globalist than most other parts of the USA.

3.) Trump has used racist and anti-immigrant rhetoric to scapegoat entire minority populations, including South Asians, South Americans, etc.... No MNC, regardless of financial motivations wants to promote hatred and discrimination against a large chunk of their direct hires and contract employees in places like California and Texas....

4.) Economic Protectionism---- Trump has played this game where he has pandered to displaced workers and blamed minority populations that have gotten jobs in America over the decades from the agricultural sector (Blame everything on the "Mexicans") to the high-tech sector (Blame everything on the Indian-Americans). I have many issues with NAFTA and Free Trade, and many friends have lost jobs through high-tech outsourcing, but generally workers in the tech sector are educated and don't take the bait regarding about "us versus them" when it comes to MNCs and global manufacturing patterns.

5.) HPE does have a massive amount of military contracts for data farms at various corp locations. This has absolutely nothing to do with where Meg is at. Regardless of whatever party is elected HPE will continue to have a profit stream from military server farm contracts.... So what?

Bottom line, Meg is a CEO of integrity who works for a real Multinational Corporation (MNC) who not only has personal motivations to reject "Trumpism" but is also an individual who every day is in meetings with her top Lieutenants from all backgrounds throughout the world, and although she is still a Republican basically has said "This is not my Republican Party".

Total FF and proud for my 20 years of service.
Speedy
Belisarius
Rookie

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2016, 12:47:50 AM »

Yeah, wow, this is a pretty big deal in a day full of pretty big deals. I wonder if her decision to come forward so strongly and her talk of "talking to other Republicans" implies that her sense is that things are really shifting among the GOP elite. Could be a big 48 hours upcoming.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2016, 06:29:22 AM »

Meg Whitman? You mean the governor of California, right?

You mad, bro?

Meg Whitman was always the more reasonable and likable between her and Carly Fiorina, whose comments about Hillary during her failed presidential campaign and after were pathetic, much like her tenure at HP. Fiorina comes across as someone who was a mean girl in high school and continues to behave like one, whether it's making fun of her opponent's hair or attacking her opponent's marriage. Petty Carly is just a rotten human being. Even before she endorsed Hillary, I would have preferred Meg Whitman to So Yesterday Carly.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2016, 06:36:13 AM »

Whitman is irrelevant, but I wouldn't be surprised on really important endorsement yet to come.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2016, 06:46:54 AM »

I wouldn't be surprised on really important endorsement yet to come.

Does that mean you've given up on waiting for the #NeverTrumpers to endorse Trump?:

To be fair, there are always non-endorsers. Chafee refused to support Bush in 2004, Boren refused to support Obama in 2008.

Usually just a max of one or two major officeholders per election though.

That's true, but I wonder how many of "never Trump" crowd would eventually fall in line if he's nominated: "well yes, I had some doubts but the most important thing now is to unite and prevent Obama's third term".

Tongue
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies