Is Donald Trump finished?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:34:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Is Donald Trump finished?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Will Donald Trump recover from his latest slump?
No. In fact it will get a whole lot worse for him.

It won't get any worse, but it won't get any better..

He'll pull into a tie or lead again, but still lose.

He'll not only bounce back, but win the election.

Who the hell knows?

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 118

Author Topic: Is Donald Trump finished?  (Read 2403 times)
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 03, 2016, 08:07:46 AM »

Will Trump recover at all from the disaster of the last two weeks?
jollyschwa
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -9.04

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 08:11:17 AM »

As an atheist, I'll say "Thank F'ing God, Yes!"  He might stay in the race and make it harder on himself but I'm thinking his kids are telling him they don't want to be poor so he should shut up and bow out.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 08:12:17 AM »

Considering the goldfish memory that voters and the media seem to have, option 3 seems most likely.
egalitt
Russian Federation
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 08:32:56 AM »

Trump is in trouble and he can improve the situation using some unexpected non trivial  trick. For example, he can invite me (I am a Russian as you know)  to make a speech at a rally. I can do it without a teleprompter.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 08:34:37 AM »

NFI.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 08:35:12 AM »

Difficult to tell. I’d say he may improve from it, but new disaster are to follow. You never know what happens next with this psychopath.
kyc0705

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 10:01:38 AM »

If this were any other Republican having this kind of press whilst running against any other Democrat, we'd probably be in for a map that looked like 1964. But this is Trump vs. Clinton, so the last option seems appropriate.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 10:04:07 AM »

Option 5 is the only reasonable answer.

We're still at a point where anything is possible.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016, 10:05:57 AM »

Let's wait until the debate.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 10:28:24 AM »

I'd love to say option 1, but obviously I have to say option 5.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2016, 10:53:49 AM »

Well, considering he spent so much time attacking Cruz, again, after the convention, instead of acting Presidential and talking about real issues important to the nation, this does not bode well for the future of the Trump campaign.

Trump is, obviously, the kind of a person who holds a grudge for an abnormal period of time, which is anything but leadership.

He is spiteful and vengeful, and this is becoming more and more clear as time goes on, and what else is becoming clear is that Trump really does not have a grasp of the issues of the day, in America and around the world.

He would rather spend time attacking those Republicans who for good reason will not support him and who  criticize him, e.g. Cruz, Ryan, McCain, than engaging in substantive debate and discussion.

If Trump does not do an about face, and start acting like a serious Presidential candidate, and not like some petulant fifth grader in a school yard, and soon, his campaign is doomed.       
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2016, 11:44:12 AM »

Well, considering he spent so much time attacking Cruz, again, after the convention, instead of acting Presidential and talking about real issues important to the nation, this does not bode well for the future of the Trump campaign.

Trump is, obviously, the kind of a person who holds a grudge for an abnormal period of time, which is anything but leadership.

He is spiteful and vengeful, and this is becoming more and more clear as time goes on, and what else is becoming clear is that Trump really does not have a grasp of the issues of the day, in America and around the world.

He would rather spend time attacking those Republicans who for good reason will not support him and who  criticize him, e.g. Cruz, Ryan, McCain, than engaging in substantive debate and discussion.

If Trump does not do an about face, and start acting like a serious Presidential candidate, and not like some petulant fifth grader in a school yard, and soon, his campaign is doomed.       

That ship has sailed long ago.  Trump realizes he is in over his head and I think he wants out.  He just requires a pay-out for his "sacrifice".  Hopefully Ryan, Priebus & Co. will see that, and act accordingly.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2016, 12:44:19 PM »

This is the only thing I can be sure of.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2016, 02:36:30 PM »

Not yet though it doesn't look so well. Honestly, I hope he is.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2016, 02:38:26 PM »

Not yet though it doesn't look so well. Honestly, I hope he is.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2016, 02:39:06 PM »

He's pretty much done.

I guess ...

A comeback would be a surprise. The Hillary team has successfully sent Trump into the Khan trap and managed not only deflect her Iraq War vote and turn it against him, but also managed to deflect her email problems and turned it against him ("Russia, plz spy on us and hack us !").
freedomburns
FreedomBurns

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -8.70

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2016, 04:27:21 PM »

He's doomed.  Hillary will win with over 375 EV.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2016, 04:41:16 PM »

He's pretty much done.

I guess ...

A comeback would be a surprise. The Hillary team has successfully sent Trump into the Khan trap and managed not only deflect her Iraq War vote and turn it against him, but also managed to deflect her email problems and turned it against him ("Russia, plz spy on us and hack us !").

There was one poll that just came out that showed him ahead in a state that he absolutely needs to win the presidency (North Carolina).  I mean, other polling data shows him behind, but this single state poll could be a turning point for him!
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2016, 04:51:55 PM »

The problem with that is Trump is 70 years old and has been operating like that for most of his life. There is no chance that he can or will change. If he does, then he won't be Trump and it will turn off a lot of his supporters.

In fact, people have been asking what will it take for voters to stop supporting Trump. It's not all the outrageous things he keeps doing, it would be because he's no longer doing them.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2016, 05:11:22 PM »

Some of you guys at Atlas seem to lack perspective sometimes. Trump is a terrible candidate, but polling wise there have been worse. And I love Hillary but I fear some of her baggage could come back to haunt her. Trump's Campaign is in trouble, but you'd have to be short sighted to think replacing him would be an option at this point.
PresidentSamTilden

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2016, 05:17:01 PM »

Option 5 is the only reasonable answer.

We're still at a point where anything is possible.

This is the truth. There are still 3 months to go
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2016, 05:24:59 PM »

So Atlas. Pick the time that's going to end up being peak Hillary! and declare Trump done. Just like Hillary! was in trouble last week after the RNC.

Of course Trump is not finished.
1) The Hillary bounce will fade like most convention bounces will.
2) The election will tighten about the time these pollsters switch to LV.
3) There is a long way to go.

Absolution9
Rookie

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2016, 05:43:31 PM »

The Khan debacle has hurt Trump in August just like the Curiel debacle hurt him in June.  Luckily for Trump this happened in early August and he has time to recover if he actually has the capability to do so. 

He needs to stop attacking sympathetic peripheral figures in the race and focus exclusively on Hillary Clinton, the economy/jobs, national security, sane non-interventionism, trade, and immigration.  His best bet would be to try to tie restrictive trade and immigration policy to jobs and wages as much as possible (whether empirically accurate or not).

If he can't stop with the stupid attacks he is either trying to lose or has a serious personality disorder.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2016, 06:54:21 PM »

Some of you guys at Atlas seem to lack perspective sometimes. Trump is a terrible candidate, but polling wise there have been worse. And I love Hillary but I fear some of her baggage could come back to haunt her. Trump's Campaign is in trouble, but you'd have to be short sighted to think replacing him would be an option at this point.

I have never felt so lousy about a Presidential race in my entire life.  Many folks feel the same way, which is why nothing would surprise me.

If the election were held today, I would not vote for Donald Trump. 

The controversy over Mr. Khan doesn't bother me.  Mr. Khan is a Gold Star Father who injected that status into partisan politics, and he reaped the Trump Maelstrom.  I think a lot of folks (including a lot of Republicans) have piled on because they've wanted a "real Republican".  And Mr. Khan may be well on the way to what he really wanted, which was for Trump to go down and not get back up, so he's looking like a winner in this deal, whether he deserves to be or not. 

Trump handled the situation by ramping up the chaos in ways that were unavoidable.  The worst (but not the only) thing was lending support to Paul Ryan's primary challenger, after Ryan gave him a rather mild rebuke over the Mr. Khan issue.  What kind of "deals" could he ever make as President when he does a reluctant ally that way?  Being a moderate RINO, I could care less about Paul Ryan's primary, but I do care about a Presidential Administration being able to get things done.  McGovern made nice with Richard Daley AFTER his delegates booted the Daley delegation from the 1972 DNC; he displayed friendliness toward George and Cornelia Wallace, who did not endorse him and who was poles apart from him on a number of issues.  Goldwater, who was more coarse as a candidate than McGovern, never trashed the moderates who were #NeverGoldwater, even after the raucous 1964 RNC. 

I cannot imagine a President Trump getting anything done.  I don't see him as willing to make the kind of "friends" needed in politics to get anything done, and especially given that his personal platform of issues is one which requires BOTH parties in Congress to compromise some.  I can't see him being the builder of a new infrastructure that this country needs, which I hoped he'd be.  And I don't see him as responsive to ANYONE in his inner circle; not even his kids, Don and Ivanka, who appear to know something about politics and PR. 

I don't know what I'll do.  I loathe Hillary, and if I vote for her, it will be in the privacy of the voting booth, and without a kind word toward her on my part.  She doesn't deserve to be President.  Gary Johnson does, relative to the others running, but if mental health is the issue, then the Presidential race this year isn't far away from the Edwin Edwards-David Duke LA Governor's race of 1991.  A dumpster fire it was, but the remedy there was obvious.

Perhaps I'll feel better after throwing up.  I hope so.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2016, 07:10:53 PM »

How many times have we thought Trump was finished during this election cycle? I am never going to say he's done again until he actually loses to Hillary.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies