Clinton's cabinet
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:57:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Clinton's cabinet
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Clinton's cabinet  (Read 858 times)
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 03, 2016, 11:10:38 AM »

So this article just came out:
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/insiders-game-out-clintons-cabinet-226599

Misc Tidbits
Barney Frank wants Joe Biden for SecDef
Eric Holder wants Tom Perez for AG
People are apparently still taking Clinton's pledge to have a 50% women cabinet seriously
Unsurprisingly, there's a difficult balance between finding the right people for the job and achieving diversity
Clinton is feeling pressure on Treasury pick from Sanders/Warren crowd
A lot of the picks are either deputy/mid-level advisors in similar roles for Obama or people already on Clinton's payroll; not a lot of congressmen

Here are the names being mentioned or thought to be in consideration, although with SoS and Homeland Security nobody really has any clue:

Chief of Staff:  Cheryl Mills, Tom Nides, Tom Vilsack
Press Secretary:  Brian Fallon
NatSec Advisor:  Jake Sullivan
SoS:  ??, Wendy Sherman, Bill Burns, Nick Burns, Kurt Campbell, Strobe Talbott, James Stavridis
DefSec:  Michele Flournoy, Jack Reed (lol), Adam Smith, Eric Fanning
Treasury:  Sheryl Sandberg, Gary Gensler, Lael Brainard, Sylvia Burwell, Gene Sperling, Terry McAuliffe
AG:  Tom Perez, Janet Napolitano (plz no), Jennifer Granholm, Tony West, Jamie Gorelick, Tom Vilsack, Preet Bharara (!)
Energy:  John Podesta
Education:  John King holdover, Kaya Henderson, Jim Shelton, Jack Markell
Commerce:  McAuliffe again, Fred Hochberg, Jeff Immelt (R)
HHS:  Steve Beshear, Neera Tanden
Transportation:  Mike Nutter, Mike Huerta
HUD:  Mike Nutter, Christine Quinn
Labor:  Granholm again, Ed Montgomery
Interior:  Hickenlooper
Homeland Security:  ??, Martin O'Malley
AgSec:  Debbie Stabenow?
VASec:  Tammy Duckworth, Bob McDonald holdover, Sloan Gibson,
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 11:16:27 AM »

Uh why wouldn't people take to have a 50% woman cabinet seriously? If Lil' Justin can do it up in Canada I don't see why we can't.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 11:25:08 AM »

Uh why wouldn't people take to have a 50% woman cabinet seriously? If Lil' Justin can do it up in Canada I don't see why we can't.

Because it's prioritizing filling a diversity quota over maximizing the domestic and foreign capabilities of the most powerful nation on the planet?  I figured it was just another empty campaign promise when she made it to try to get Canadians on board.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 12:22:30 PM »

Because it's prioritizing filling a diversity quota over maximizing the domestic and foreign capabilities of the most powerful nation on the planet?  I figured it was just another empty campaign promise when she made it to try to get Canadians on board.

There are plenty of capable and qualified women. Having a cabinet that reflects the diversity of the country is not a recipe for incompetence.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 01:44:17 PM »

I've been laboring on who Clinton should pick for SoS for a while. Sadly Richard Holbrooke is ineligible, being dead and all, despite still standing a head above the rest of the field.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 01:46:04 PM »

There are plenty of capable and qualified women. Having a cabinet that reflects the diversity of the country is not a recipe for incompetence.

Pick the best person available whether that be a women/man or race.
elcorazon

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 02:00:22 PM »

this is such a myth. It starts with the false assumption that there is one best person available for everything.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 02:04:36 PM »

Wendy Davis should definitely be on the list for a department.
dspNY
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016, 02:06:19 PM »

I bet Sanders is asked about Dept. of Labor
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 02:07:22 PM »

Given the international situation, having an expert on Russia like Strobe Talbott wouldn't be such a bad idea.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2016, 02:08:54 PM »

I doubt he'll do it. A a second-rank department isn't worth giving up a senate seat.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2016, 02:09:16 PM »

Why on earth...?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2016, 02:24:28 PM »

Why on earth...?

She's a good person and politican. Unfortunately, an elective office in Texas is difficult for her to win. Maybe a House seat in a competative district.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2016, 02:31:15 PM »

Anyone else confused by the logic of Podesta for Energy? Especially after replacing two successive scientist -technocrats in the role (Chu and Moniz)?

Kevin Rudd is free, lol.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2016, 01:18:04 AM »

Looks like I might not get any right.

My latest prediction:
1.Treasury, Deval Patrick
2.Commerce, Olympia Snowe
3.Labor, Alyson Schwartz
4.Interior, Raul Grijalva
5.Agriculture, Bennie Thompson
6.Energy, Rush Holt
7.Transportation, Julian Castro
8.Housing and Urban Development, Stephanie Rawlings-Blake
9.Health and Human Services, Michelle Nunn
10.Education, Judy Chu
11.Veterans Affairs, Bob McDonald ?
12.Defense, Ash Carter
13.State, Tom Daschle
14.Homeland Security, Jennifer Granholm
15.Attorney General, Christine Gregoire

16.Chief of Staff
17.Environmental Protection Agency, Mark Udall
18.United Nations Ambassador, Joe Biden
19.Trade Representative, Michael Nutter
20.Office of Management and Budget
21.National Security Adviser
22.National Economic Adviser
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2016, 01:25:34 AM »

Why on earth...?

She's a good person and politican. Unfortunately, an elective office in Texas is difficult for her to win. Maybe a House seat in a competative district.

You want the Democratic Party to use a second-tier Cabinet position to fluff up some allegedly-promising Texas politician because they can't win statewide, again?
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2016, 01:37:54 AM »

Why on earth...?

You want the Democratic Party to use a second-tier Cabinet position to fluff up some allegedly-promising Texas politician because they can't win statewide, again?

Yeah for real.  Again, pick the best damn person for the job, I don't care if oh poor Wendy Davis needs a political helping hand.  I expect Hillary to have some giant spreadsheet of names and a whole bunch of different attributes and qualities of each person as well as an army of a good dozen people vetting and analyzing any name she throws at them.  That's the Hillary I'm voting for, not a hack who puts unqualified people like Wendy Davis into cabinet positions because oh poor Wendy she needs a break.

Why stop with gender?  Why not insist that the cabinet have exactly ten whites, three blacks, five hispanics, one asian, one indian, one middle-eastern, and one pacific islander?  How about six catholics, eight protestants, two atheists, one jew, one muslim, and one hindu?  The cabinet doesn't need to reflect the diversity of this country because its job is to advise the POTUS, make difficult decisions and manage enormous bureaucracies, not be an after-school special.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2016, 01:58:25 AM »

Yes.  And frankly since many more women officials have joined the Democratic Party, there is a much wider and deeper talent pool to choose from than if a Republican were trying to do this.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2016, 02:16:13 AM »

Chief of Staff: Huma Abedin

Secretary of State: Susan Rice
Secretary of the Treasury: Hilda Solis
Secretary of Defense: James Stavridis
Attorney General: Tom Perez
Secretary of the Interior: Amy Klobuchar
Secretary of Agriculture: Patty Judge
Secretary of Commerce: Caroline Kennedy
Secretary of Labor: Nancy Kassebaum
Secretary of Housing and Urban Development: Julian Castro
Secretary of Health and Human Services: Mark Parkinson
Secretary of Education: John King, Jr.
Secretary of Transportation: Anthony Foxx
Secretary of Energy: Elizabeth Sherwood-Randall
Secretary of Veterans' Affairs: Deborah Lee James
Secretary of Homeland Security: Wesley Clark
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2016, 02:37:34 AM »

I wrote a whole response to this mocking you because I mixed her up with Patti Solis-Doyle *shivers*

Why is she always around?  What has she ever done besides be a Kennedy?  Tell her to go win a house race or something if she really wants a job.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2016, 02:48:24 PM »

I predict Clinton's administration being a very boring one.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2016, 03:07:13 PM »

Wonderfully said. It's the old school thinking that states otherwise.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2016, 03:08:48 PM »

this is such a myth. It starts with the false assumption that there is one best person available for everything.

I thought the exact same thing before I scrolled down to your post. It's all a matter of perspective and opinion.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2016, 03:11:45 PM »

Why stop with gender?  Why not insist that the cabinet have exactly ten whites, three blacks, five hispanics, one asian, one indian, one middle-eastern, and one pacific islander?  How about six catholics, eight protestants, two atheists, one jew, one muslim, and one hindu?  The cabinet doesn't need to reflect the diversity of this country because its job is to advise the POTUS, make difficult decisions and manage enormous bureaucracies, not be an after-school special.

You are definitely a white male.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2016, 03:13:10 PM »

I wrote a whole response to this mocking you because I mixed her up with Patti Solis-Doyle *shivers*

Why is she always around?  What has she ever done besides be a Kennedy?  Tell her to go win a house race or something if she really wants a job.

Maybe name recognition is a plus in politics. Is she doing a bad job in her present job?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies