Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 21, 2017, 03:45:39 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Atlas Fantasy Elections
| |-+  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderator: Gustaf)
| | |-+  1019 - Failed
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: 1019 - Failed  (Read 703 times)
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« on: August 03, 2016, 02:31:13 pm »
Ignore

Maximum Sentences for Marijuana Act of 2016

1. No court in the Republic of Atlasia may issue a sentence more severe than seventy-two hours of community service and seventy-two hours of drug abuse prevention or education classes against somebody accused of any charge related to the possession, use, administration, acquisition, sale, manufacturing, or transportation of marijuana or marijuana products when said actions do not involve a person under twenty-five years of age.
2. No court in the Republic of Atlasia may issue a sentence more severe than one month in prison, one year of probation, seventy-two hours of community service, and seventy-two hours of drug abuse prevention or education classes against somebody accused of any charge related to the possession, use, administration, acquisition, sale, manufacturing, or transportation of marijuana or marijuana products when said actions do involve a person under twenty-five years of age.
3. The provisions of this act shall go into effect upon becoming law.

Sponsor: Rep. Darthebearnc (L-WI)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 08:52:18 pm by Speaker Kent »Logged

House Majority Leader Haslam2020
Haslam2020
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 05:31:22 pm »
Ignore

I like it.

Senator Scott, PPT
Ascott
YaBB God
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.40

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 05:35:00 pm »
Ignore

*shouting from gallery* Free the reefer!

(Or at least remove the federal prohibition so that regions can legalize it without federal encroachment.)

Clark Kent
ClarkKent
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 05:42:51 pm »
Ignore

This bill seems unconstitutional. However, I agree with a.scott that we could simply remove the federal ban on it.

Dereich
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 06:00:15 pm »
Ignore

*shouting from gallery* Free the reefer!

(Or at least remove the federal prohibition so that regions can legalize it without federal encroachment.)

That second part would be constitutional. The rest? Telling the regions what they can and cannot ban is legally uhh...lets just say it provides a good example of why governments hate federalism and always try to take away powers from states and local governments.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 06:13:42 pm by Justice Dereich »Logged

dfwlibertylover   oh God Dereich you are in for a rude awakening on November 8th lol

00:09   Wulfric   Trump has seemed to have a lot of compassion for the poor at times

smilo           Atlas is not a place for opinions
smilo           Atlas is a place for satire
Benedicamus Domino
Classic Conservative
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 01:50:27 pm »
Ignore

I won't support this bill.

"Benjamin Franklin reminded his colleagues at the Constitutional Convention, to begin by bowing their head in prayer. I remind you, we’re going to start saying Merry Christmas again.” Donald John Trump
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 07:28:52 pm »
Ignore

Yeah, Rep. Dar, I would like to propose an amended version:

1. No federal court in the Republic of Atlasia may issue a sentence more severe than seventy-two hours of community service and seventy-two hours of drug abuse prevention or education classes against somebody accused of any charge related to the possession, use, administration, acquisition, sale, manufacturing, or transportation of marijuana or marijuana products when said actions do not involve a person under twenty-five years of age.
2. No federal court in the Republic of Atlasia may issue a sentence more severe than one month in prison, one year of probation, seventy-two hours of community service, and seventy-two hours of drug abuse prevention or education classes against somebody accused of any charge related to the possession, use, administration, acquisition, sale, manufacturing, or transportation of marijuana or marijuana products when said actions do involve a person under twenty-five years of age.
3. The federal prohibition on the production, sale, and consumption of marijuana shall be repealed.
34. The provisions of this act shall go into effect upon becoming law.

#IAintAfraidOfNoGoats
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 07:55:09 pm »
Ignore

Could the regions still keep it illegal if they so choose in this legislation?

President
Ted Cruz

House/Senate Races
Marlin Stutzman (Indiana GOP Senate Primary)
Jim Banks (GOP/IN-3)
Trey Hollingsworth (GOP/IN-9)
Tom Massie (GOP/KY-4)
David Brat (GOP/VA-7)
Tim Tebow (GOP/FL-4) (if he chooses to run)
Dan Bongino (GOP/FL-19)
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 08:49:55 pm »
Ignore

Could the regions still keep it illegal if they so choose in this legislation?
Not in the original bill, but they should be able to in the amendment.

͡◔ ᴥ ͡◔
darthebearnc
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 09:13:28 pm »
Ignore

I find the amendment unfriendly.
͡◔ ᴥ ͡◔
darthebearnc
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2016, 09:26:56 pm »
Ignore

I'm sorry, I misspelled "friendly" in the original post.

I find the amendment unfriendly.
shua
YaBB God
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: -4.52

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2016, 09:41:37 pm »
Ignore

what does it mean "when said actions (do/don't) involve a person under twenty-five years of age" ?
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2016, 10:58:59 am »
Ignore

what does it mean "when said actions (do/don't) involve a person under twenty-five years of age" ?
My understanding is that, if a marijuana-related offense (eg. smoking in a location where it is illegal) involves a person under 25, they may only serve a maximum of one month, and only a maximum of 3 days if no person involved is under 25.

shua
YaBB God
Nepal

Political Matrix

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2016, 04:12:09 pm »
Ignore

My understanding is that, if a marijuana-related offense (eg. smoking in a location where it is illegal) involves a person under 25, they may only serve a maximum of one month, and only a maximum of 3 days if no person involved is under 25.

It looks like we are allowing imprisonment of people under 25 but not over 25.

Clark Kent
ClarkKent
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2016, 04:22:12 pm »
Ignore

It looks like we are allowing imprisonment of people under 25 but not over 25.
Doesn't look like it to me. I suppose we could make it clearer, since Section 1 doesn't mention prison at all.

͡◔ ᴥ ͡◔
darthebearnc
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2016, 04:29:05 pm »
Ignore

Yeah, the bill is a bit unclear about that, so I'm amending it as follows:

1. No court in the Republic of Atlasia may issue a sentence more severe than seventy-two hours of community service and seventy-two hours of drug abuse prevention or education classes against somebody accused of any charge related to the possession, use, administration, acquisition, sale, manufacturing, or transportation of marijuana or marijuana products when said actions do not involve a person under twenty-five years of age.
2. No court in the Republic of Atlasia may issue a sentence more severe than one month in prison, one year of probation, seventy-two hours of community service, and seventy-two hours of drug abuse prevention or education classes against somebody accused of any charge related to the possession, use, administration, acquisition, sale, manufacturing, or transportation of marijuana or marijuana products when said actions do involve a person under twenty-five years of age. This section does not apply to people under twenty-five years of age.
3. No court in the Republic of Atlasia may issue a sentence more severe than seventy-two hours of community service and seventy-two hours of drug abuse prevention or education classes against somebody accused of any charge related to the possession, use, administration, acquisition, sale, manufacturing, or transportation of marijuana or marijuana products if the accused is under twenty-five years of age.
4. The provisions of this act shall go into effect upon becoming law.

Now, the punishments set forth in Section 2 only apply to the people distributing marijuana to under-twenty-five year olds, not the under-twenty-five year olds themselves. People under 25 who use marijuana are subject to the same punishments listed in Section 1 and no more.
shua
YaBB God
Nepal

Political Matrix

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2016, 03:43:53 pm »
Ignore

Now it's even more confusing.

Can we just scrap this and legalize marijuana at the federal level?
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2016, 10:27:58 pm »
Ignore

Now it's even more confusing.

Can we just scrap this and legalize marijuana at the federal level?
We can't keep the regions from banning it, though. But yeah, let's repeal the federal prohibition.

Clark Kent
ClarkKent
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2016, 06:35:37 pm »
Ignore

After looking around a little, it appears that the marijuana prohibition is a DEA rule, and can (and probably should) be repealed via executive order. I am looking for a motion to table this bill, as I don't believe that the Speaker can motion to table it.

Benedicamus Domino
Classic Conservative
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2016, 07:32:05 pm »
Ignore

I motion to table

"Benjamin Franklin reminded his colleagues at the Constitutional Convention, to begin by bowing their head in prayer. I remind you, we’re going to start saying Merry Christmas again.” Donald John Trump
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2016, 07:50:40 pm »
Ignore

Looking for a second...

͡◔ ᴥ ͡◔
darthebearnc
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2016, 07:55:04 pm »
Ignore

I refuse to see this bill tabled.
tmthforu94
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2016, 07:57:14 pm »
Ignore

After looking around a little, it appears that the marijuana prohibition is a DEA rule, and can (and probably should) be repealed via executive order. I am looking for a motion to table this bill, as I don't believe that the Speaker can motion to table it.
That sounds like a much more preferable option. Mr. President? Tongue
shua
YaBB God
Nepal

Political Matrix

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2016, 01:36:12 pm »
Ignore

Can we substitute a flat legalization through amendment, or would that require a separate bill?
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2016, 02:16:08 pm »
Ignore

Can we substitute a flat legalization through amendment, or would that require a separate bill?
We could, but again, this seems to fall under the DEA's jurisdiction, so I feel it's best to leave this to the President.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout