If Trump Is Dropped, Who Replaces Him?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 02:17:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  If Trump Is Dropped, Who Replaces Him?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Who Do They Replace Him With?
Kasich

Ryan

Rubio

Cruz

Jeb!

Someone Else

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Author Topic: If Trump Is Dropped, Who Replaces Him?  (Read 1008 times)
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 03, 2016, 04:52:40 PM »

Who would take his place?
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 04:55:14 PM »

There seems to be a lot of commotion over this ideas. Does this have a parallel precedent?
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 04:59:08 PM »

Pence
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 05:04:56 PM »

Arnold Schwarzenegger
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 05:05:51 PM »

Does anyone seriously think that Trump of all people is going to say, "you know what? I've invested millions, but it's time to go at this point?"

Of course not. Trump is the nominee. Period.

The only way he goes is if he gets shot or is otherwise incapacitated due to a medical condition of the physical variety.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 05:06:35 PM »

Kasich for sure.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 05:09:04 PM »

Trump aint doomed.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 05:14:31 PM »

Trump isn't dropping out. C'mon now.
Fargobison

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016, 05:17:42 PM »

Does anyone seriously think that Trump of all people is going to say, "you know what? I've invested millions, but it's time to go at this point?"

Of course not. Trump is the nominee. Period.

The only way he goes is if he gets shot or is otherwise incapacitated due to a medical condition of the physical variety.

Hearing rumors that Trump's heal spurs are flaring up again...
win win
dxu8888

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 05:37:47 PM »

Trump won't get dropped unless you mean physically "dropped".
He won with the majority of voters and delegates. A couple of establishment elders can't just come in and say, oh "tens of millions of you guys voted. But you voted for the wrong guy. So this election doesn't count anymore." It doesn't work like that in the United States.
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2016, 07:16:14 PM »

Nixon wasn't impeached and convicted; he resigned.  In his resignation speech, Nixon stated that the reason he was resigning was because, "I have lost my political base in Congress."

This statement, while ridiculed over the years, was true.  Nixon was never sorry for anything he did; he came to realize that he would have been impeached by the House and convicted by the Senate; very few Republicans would have opposed removal, and only 2-3 Southern Democrats MIGHT have stayed with Nixon.  Nixon faced reality and resigned.

Trump is losing his political base in his own political party, and he doesn't have one in the opposition party.  What would happen if the entire Congressional Republican body, key Governors, and ex-Presidents and Presidential nominees ALL called for Trump's ouster?  Could Mike Pence refuse to go along with Trump in THAT situation?  Pence has NEVER been a Trump guy; he's loyal and decent, and, oddly enough, the compromise candidate that all the anti-Trump Republicans could have agreed on in an open convention. 

There's no specific procedure for this to happen, but Trump could be in a situation where he'd have to bow to the inevitable.  It would be ugly, but it appears it's going to be ugly any way it's sliced this year.  This may be the ugliest election in the history of America when all shakes out.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2016, 09:46:19 PM »

Most likely Mike Pence, Ted Cruz would not be picked for either President or VP. Cruz is not liked by the established and the RNC is not giving the nomination to  a person that literally said:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

on national TV at the Convention.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2016, 09:47:19 PM »

I'd guess Ryan, although I could see an 1836 scenario, with more regional candidates, maybe based on the primaries.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2016, 10:31:38 PM »

Pence or Romney
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2016, 10:40:51 PM »

He won't be dropping out, and I don't really see why he should.  His cult following want him to continue to the bitter end, and until that changes he is in it for the long-haul.  And if the GOP establishment think they can force him out, they will have to contend with the fury of his outraged followers who won't forget the slight in years to come. 

Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2016, 10:45:56 PM »

Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2016, 11:02:19 PM »

I don't think he drops out, but if he does, I don't think Pence or Ryan or anyone will be jumping at the chance to replace him. They'd probably have to pick some random Congressman or governor to take one for the team.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2016, 11:10:47 PM »

Alan Keyes.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2016, 11:26:02 PM »

Trump won't be dropped, can't happen, but if he drops out himself

Romney/Pence

Romney is one of the few Republicans who has the gravitas, experience, knowledge, respect, intelligence to win.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2016, 11:47:51 PM »

These are imho the only three viable choices, should there be a brokered agreement for Trump to leave:

Pence
Pro: Conservative, Convention credibility, Could appeal to Trump supporters (assuming the Trump "divorce" is amicable)
Con: Too aligned with Trump, Too right wing for many, May lack gravitas for POTUS (think Scott Walker), May be better suited as VP to hold on to some Trump supporters

Ryan

Pro: Established national credibility, Ready to be POTUS and former VP candidate, Policy wonk
Con: Just took over House, Move could be seen as opportunistic, Policy wonk, Boycott from Trump hardcore supporters

Kasich
Pro: Best option to deny Clinton the middle ground, Strong in swing states, Clearly delineated himself from Trump
Con: Boycott from Trump hardcore supporters

Of these three, I think only Kasich or Ryan (in that order) could possibly beat Clinton (not saying they will, but that they would stand a chance). Pence would be more of a caretaker role, to lose with dignity. Other people either lack the ability to win or are not interested (and I include Cruz, Romney, Bush and Christie in this group).
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2016, 06:48:49 AM »

Pence or Romney. Ryan might be offered, but he'll probably say no.

Romney has the name recognition, and would be able to adjust to it fastest.

Pence has the greatest level of credibility as the guy the winner chose.

I don't think it would go to anyone who lost to Trump.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2016, 07:08:31 AM »
« Edited: August 04, 2016, 07:10:05 AM by Simfan34 »

I'm not sure even Kasich could beat Clinton in such a scenario. The GOP would be effectively tarred as "the party that just nominated Donald Trump", as opposed to him having won the nomination in his own right. I agree any of the other Republican candidates would be unlikely for similar reasons.

The only logical choice would probably be Pence. Sure he may have issues all of his own, but when compared to Donald Trump, he is already emerging as a bastion of sanity. The nomination in that regard would be one last mess to clean up. If Trump were to drop out it would likely be in a spectacularly messy fashion that would make it impossible for pretty much any Republican to win-- so it's about losing with dignity. If he does a good job maybe he can challenge Donnelly in 2018.
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2016, 07:12:42 AM »

I'm not sure even Kasich could beat Clinton in such a scenario. The GOP would be effectively tarred as "the party that just nominated Donald Trump", as opposed to him having won the nomination in his own right. I agree any of the other Republican candidates would be unlikely for similar reasons.

The only logical choice would probably be Pence. Sure he may have issues all of his own, but when compared to Donald Trump, he is already emerging as a bastion of sanity. The nomination in that regard would be one last mess to clean up. If Trump were to drop out it would likely be in a spectacularly messy fashion that would make it impossible for pretty much any Republican to win-- so it's about losing with dignity. If he does a good job maybe he can challenge Donnelly in 2018.

Pence is the only candidate the entire GOP could agree on.

I think Romney blew it by refusing to endorse the ticket, or at least indicate he'd vote Republican in November.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2016, 07:37:34 AM »

I think Romney blew it by refusing to endorse the ticket, or at least indicate he'd vote Republican in November.

Actually, if Romney was chosen, that would be the thing that would give him a chance of winning. The catastrophe that would be a Trump withdrawal could only possibly be mitigated by someone who had already unambiguously washed their hands of Trump-- and who else has washed their hands of him more prominently than Mitt Romney? (Aside from Ted Cruz, who probably repudiated Trump too prominently for him to have a chance.)

Given enough time (say early September), Kasich could probably make up enough ground to win narrowly, but would not likely be chosen in the first place. Romney would be a more likely pick but would have a somewhat lesser chance of winning, although it would be possible. Pence would be the most likely pick but would probably lose, although by a smaller margin than Trump.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2016, 08:16:05 AM »

While Pence would be the "cleanest" choice, in terms of convention credibility and Trump's support, I just don't think he can win. And if you are Ryan, Priebus & Co. engineering all this, you want at least a semi realistic chance of winning. Why go through all the trouble only to still lose - they might as well just leave Trump to do that.

I agree that Romney, who would otherwise be a good candidate, has ticked off too many people (and I don't mean just hardcore Trump supporters), so the only viable winning options are Kasich or Ryan. Mind you, even if they are chosen, they face a very uphill battle at this late stage. But if there is a candidate who may be vulnerable, it is Clinton. In spite of his antics, Trump has shown that clearly.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies