Intelligent design belongs in Church not Biology class.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:57:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Intelligent design belongs in Church not Biology class.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]
Author Topic: Intelligent design belongs in Church not Biology class.  (Read 14964 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: August 22, 2013, 11:17:16 PM »

The most complex automobile today is much simpler than a cillium.

If you actually believe that, I sincerely hope you aren't an auto mechanic.  If you are, please tell me where you work so that I never take my car there.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #151 on: August 23, 2013, 08:12:49 AM »

Behe's Challenge: Evolve Me a Cilium
   or Chaos Theory Me a Cillium
     ---
   so far zilch for smart humans
   so far zilch for chaos theory
   so far zilch for evolution theory
     zilch

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_of_flagella
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #152 on: August 23, 2013, 03:54:28 PM »

color1
Rookie
« Reply #153 on: August 25, 2013, 12:22:44 PM »

""In the same issue of Current Biology, Prachee Avasthi and Wallace Marshall comment on this finding. In “Ciliary Secretion: Switching the Cellular Antenna to ‘Transmit,’” they remark on the growing repertoire of these organelles: Cilia are microtubule-based protrusions of the plasma membrane that were first noticed for their role in generating fluid flow, such as the flow of mucus in the airway. In recent decades, it has become clear that cilia also have important sensory roles and act as antennae, sensing the cell's environment: for example, kidney cilia can transduce calcium signals mediated by mechanosensitive channels sensing fluid flow; photoreceptor cilia capture light and transduce visual signals to electrical signals via the G-protein-coupled receptor (GPCR) rhodopsin; and cilia from olfactory sensory neurons can detect and transduce odor stimuli also via specialized GPCRs. In addition, cilia can play roles in processing signals within cells; for example, developmental patterning of vertebrate limbs is regulated by ciliary transport of Hedgehog signaling components. Given the varied functions of ciliary signaling, defects in conserved ciliary structure often result in disorders with seemingly unrelated pleiotropic phenotypes. A new finding reported in a recent issue of Current Biology by Wood et al. reveals an interesting twist on the signaling roles of cilia, by showing that the motile flagella of the unicellular green alga Chlamydomonas can release biochemical signals into the extracellular environment via membrane budding of enzyme-containing ciliary ectosomes. If anyone still doubted the importance of the cilium in essential cellular functions, this new demonstration of the multitasking abilities of this nearly ubiquitous organelle should convince them otherwise. - See more at: http://www.evolutionnews.org/2013/07/the_cilium_not074121.html#sthash.kEwj6aNd.dpuf""

----------------
----------------
cillium are part of a single cell, an eye has hundreds-of-millions of cells, and many specialized cell types
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #154 on: August 25, 2013, 01:43:40 PM »

cillium are part of a single cell, an eye has hundreds-of-millions of cells, and many specialized cell types

I don't get your point at all.  If anything, it should be simpler and less complex to have a single cell do something than to have a multicelluar organ with specialized cell types do it.  You seem to arguing against cilia being irreducibly complex.  Speaking of reducible complexity, you do know that cilium is spelled with one el and not two don't you?
color1
Rookie
« Reply #155 on: September 19, 2015, 09:35:51 AM »

article is  from 13 August 2014: 
   The life exterminating meteor/comet bombardments continued until 3.2 billion years ago.  We have evidence for complex life at 3.6+ to 3.3 billion years ago.  That implies life came back into existence over and over again instataneously.  This supports strongly for a creator re-establishing life on hellish planet earth over and over and over again.

""The planet formed 4.5 billion years ago, and chunks of rock many kilometres across continued falling onto it for hundreds of millions of years. It seemed there was a final burst of impacts around 3.9 billion years ago – and by 3.8 billion years ago it was all over. The first fossils of life are very slightly younger.
That story is wrong, says Donald Lowe of Stanford University in California. The barrage continued far longer. “Its termination was not an abrupt drop-off but a gradual waning until 3 billion years ago,” he says.
Lowe and his colleagues have spent 40 years studying a patch of ancient rocks in eastern South Africa called the Barberton Belt. Over 25 years ago they found four layers of spherical particles, which seemed to have condensed from clouds of vaporised rock. Lowe says they are the traces of four major meteorite impacts, and date from between 3.5 and 3.2 billion years ago.
Now Lowe’s team have described another four layers of spherules from the same period. That means there were eight major impacts within about 250 million years, bolstering the case that the bombardment was still going on (Geology, doi.org/t48).
The moon also bears scars of major impacts up to 3 billion years ago, says William Bottke of the Southwest Research Institute in Boulder, Colorado. “This makes it unavoidable that the Earth was still getting hit by big things late in the game,” he says.""
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #156 on: September 19, 2015, 11:56:04 AM »

This nutcase is still rambling on?
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #157 on: September 20, 2015, 09:29:12 AM »

I've always been puzzled about the contention that theories of "intelligent design" are somehow absent from public schools.  They're not.  They are taught in classes on Religious Studies, Philosophy, History, Literature, Mythology, Anthropology, and other subjects too.  I have also heard glancing reference made to intelligent design theory in public university science classes I took as an undergrad.  That it's generally avoided in science classes has more to do, I'd guess, with the factor that it's not really a testable hypothesis; it can't be empirically verified like other hypotheses are verified by experiment.  We can't push it into the realm of the empirical by either inferences based on mathematics or on holes in our current state of knowledge.  Astronomically unlikely probabilities really don't prove anything, because astronomically improbable things do happen from time to time.  And the "God of the gaps" approach tends to lose ground over time as more gaps in our knowledge are actually filled in.  The "intelligent design" theory, however it may be construed, is really either a philosophical position or a matter of faith, and in those capacities, it's well-represented in American public schools.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies