Politico: Melania may have committed visa fraud, illegally immigrated to US (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:56:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Politico: Melania may have committed visa fraud, illegally immigrated to US (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Politico: Melania may have committed visa fraud, illegally immigrated to US  (Read 3071 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« on: August 04, 2016, 11:01:23 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/melania-trump-immigration-donald-226648

When I first saw the headline, I wrote it off as yet another instance of "post-truth" journalism (usually employed by Trump's supporters rather than his detractors); as Dave Weigel wrote "'Too good to check' used to be a warning to newspaper editors not to jump on bullsh**t stories. Now it’s a business model."

But Julia Ioffe's (a quality journalist) article in Politico (a quality publication) does not so much make claims, to say nothing of unsubstantiated claims, as it notes discrepancies in Melania's account of her migration to the US and the implications of her claims (i.e., having to return to Slovenia every few months to have her visa renewed), some of which do not appear to conform with standard practices under relevant laws.

I urge potential skeptics (and everyone in general) to read the article, which considers at length the available facts, based on Melania's own comments to the media and public information, rather than anonymous "sources". It goes into far more detail than I could post without violating the forum's copyright rules.

I think all of us, whether pro-Trump or anti-Trump, can agree that we need to figure out what's going on, and that the laws should be enforced, as Trump would insist, to the strictest possible degree. Zero-tolerance, after all, starts in the home.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 11:32:39 AM »

These stories about Melania are probably nothing more than sensationalist journalism.

That was also my initial reaction, Winfield. But I encourage you to read and consider what the article is saying-- it's hardly sensationalism.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 11:08:29 PM »

We need to see the actual papers and the actual visa documents. It'd only be fair.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 06:12:19 AM »

This one to me is ehhhh...I wouldn't pursue it much. Pivot back to the economy and how Trump is a lying outsourcer, national security and how he is completely unfit to be president, and how terrifying it would be to give him the nukes. The issue doing the most damage to Trump right now is that he is a hypocrite on the economy and a complete psycho

No, this needs to be pursued to death. His own wife could be an illegal, and he obviously would have known. I can't see how his supporters could even justify that without calling for compassion and understanding for (one) undocumented immigrant.

The irony would be too delicious to pass this up. The cherry on top,  if you would. Time to file some FOIA requests and call Preet!
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 07:36:28 PM »

Sham marriage? Can anything be done about that from a legal standpoint?

Keep in mind Trump surrogates are still, right now, going on about Obama's transcripts and suggesting/saying he's a Muslim. There's absolutely no reason why demanding Melania release her papers would be an unreasonable request, in that context. The whole birther thing was justification enough.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies