Flag Protection Amendment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:21:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Flag Protection Amendment
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Poll
Question: You you think the Constitution should be amended?
Yes

No

Unsure

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 42

Author Topic: Flag Protection Amendment  (Read 6494 times)
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2005, 09:53:00 PM »

Yes, it matters since I was responding to someone who cited the U.S. flag code's text, "The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning" as a reason not to pass the amendment.

The Congress should have the power to ban flag burning in the territories, and the states should have that power within their boundaries.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #76 on: June 23, 2005, 12:35:48 AM »

I'd much rather prefer a revival of the House Un-American Activities Committee (HUAC) over some silly constitutional amendment to stop treasonous acts by those who hate America.

I didn't know you despised America that much.

No, I love America. Smiley We really need it these days since the extreme left is becoming a very threat to our existence as a nation.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #77 on: June 23, 2005, 01:20:30 AM »

I'd much rather prefer a revival of the House Un-American Activities Committee (HUAC) over some silly constitutional amendment to stop treasonous acts by those who hate America.

I didn't know you despised America that much.

No, I love America. Smiley We really need it these days since the extreme left is becoming a very threat to our existence as a nation.

Much like...hmm...the Confederacy? Smiley
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #78 on: June 23, 2005, 09:28:40 AM »
« Edited: June 23, 2005, 09:33:04 AM by John Dibble »

The Congress should have the power to ban flag burning in the territories, and the states should have that power within their boundaries.

Why?

BTW - people should write their Senators telling them to vote against this crap. http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #79 on: June 23, 2005, 10:38:12 AM »

For those who are in favor of the amendment here's a suggestion: In the unlikely event you encounter someone burning a US flag, take his picture and then burn the picture. You will then have done as much harm to him as he did to America, zero!

correct.

and once again Doesn't Congress hav emore important things to worry about than this "issue"? And if we're going to amend the Constitution which has only been done 27 times in the past, shouldn't it be over something a little more serious?
Cashcow

« Reply #80 on: June 23, 2005, 11:45:40 AM »

If this was already declared unconstitutional...
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #81 on: June 23, 2005, 12:51:30 PM »

Why?

BTW - people should write their Senators telling them to vote against this crap. http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

I should be more clear. I would support a federal constitutional amendment banning the fed from restricting flag burning in the territories, and a state constitutional amendment banning my state from restricting flag burning in Virginia. However, no such amendments exist, and so I believe the Congress has to legal right to legislate in these matters. Just because I don't like something, doesn't mean it should be declared unconstitutional.

Then what? It was declared unconstitutional. That's kind of the point to the amendment.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #82 on: June 23, 2005, 12:52:23 PM »

A statute was declared unconstitutional, not an Amendment.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #83 on: June 23, 2005, 01:01:47 PM »

Well, actually a series of state state statutes. I'm sure he understands that the amendment was not found unconstitutional.

And if we're going to amend the Constitution which has only been done 27 times in the past, shouldn't it be over something a little more serious?

Yeah, and really only 18 times (ten of those articles were added at once).
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #84 on: June 23, 2005, 01:51:16 PM »

Well, actually a series of state state statutes. I'm sure he understands that the amendment was not found unconstitutional.

All but one state had laws against desecrating the flag before the ruling in 1989.  And the ruling came about due to a criminal charged with vandalism as well as flag desecration.  It was a bad ruling by the Court, and the Court should reverse their decision before the amendment goes through.  Of course, the Court won't, so the only other option is the amendment.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #85 on: June 23, 2005, 10:34:52 PM »

All but one state had laws against desecrating the flag before the ruling in 1989.  And the ruling came about due to a criminal charged with vandalism as well as flag desecration.  It was a bad ruling by the Court, and the Court should reverse their decision before the amendment goes through.  Of course, the Court won't, so the only other option is the amendment.

ah, what a tragic ruling. Now because of it we can't walk outside without seeing a flag being burned and America is so much worse off....oh wait. Flag burnings have actually gone down significantly since then and the country is no different than it would've been otherwise. Leave the Constitution alone, something like this is not worth altering it over.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #86 on: June 23, 2005, 10:45:42 PM »

"If you want to protest injustice don't burn the American flag, wash it."
- Norman Thomas

I am in favor of finally passing this amendment.
Cashcow

« Reply #87 on: June 23, 2005, 11:09:23 PM »

Yeah, that's what I meant. Thanks
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #88 on: June 23, 2005, 11:57:18 PM »

What a horrible waste of an amendment -- not to mention a stupid one in and of itself.

I already have friends (Libertarian friends, actually) planning on finding a way to legally protest this in DC.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #89 on: June 24, 2005, 11:37:19 AM »

The ruling is perfectly in harmony with precedent - Tinker v. Des Moines, Spence v. Washington, Stromberg v. California, etc. It does not matter that a lot of states had laws to the contrary; the ruling was correct.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #90 on: June 24, 2005, 10:42:59 PM »

Absolutely not.

Forced patriotism is ridiculous and hypocritical.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #91 on: June 25, 2005, 12:03:02 AM »

While I'm rather neutral on this amendment, it is not "forced patriotism" of any kind.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies