Universal health care, Mitt Romney style
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:17:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Universal health care, Mitt Romney style
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Universal health care, Mitt Romney style  (Read 811 times)
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 22, 2005, 07:41:06 AM »

Source

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Excellent, as far as I can tell.  Any opinions?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 07:49:58 AM »

Unsure. I'd want to see more specific information. I like the idea of making people responsible for their own care, though.
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 10:26:22 AM »

Unsure. I'd want to see more specific information. I like the idea of making people responsible for their own care, though.
By having the government force them to be responsible?  I'm surprised you are considering this; it sounds more authoritarian than what I would expect you to support.  But it is one of the less intrusive reforms being proposed, so I think it is worth a shot.
MissCatholic

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 10:28:21 AM »

Isnt Romney destroying any form of choice?
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 10:35:29 AM »

A little: you can't choose not to have health insurance unless you "agree to pay [your] medical bills out of [your] own pocket", which apparently means that the state would garnish your wages.

Relatively speaking, this plan does allow more choice than any single-payer program suggested.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2005, 10:43:48 AM »

By having the government force them to be responsible?  I'm surprised you are considering this; it sounds more authoritarian than what I would expect you to support.  But it is one of the less intrusive reforms being proposed, so I think it is worth a shot.

Which is why I'm unsure and want to see specifics. Also, you must consider that I also consider it authoritarian for the taxpayers to be forced to pay other people's bills, so really it goes both ways. The best compromise would just to be to make people pay out of pocket if they can afford to do so(and don't have insurance) - if they can get Medicaid, good for them, otherwise you should pay. I don't think that's unreasonable - you receive a service from a private institution, you can afford to pay for it, so you pay for it. That in itself isn't authoritarian.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005, 10:59:27 AM »

A little: you can't choose not to have health insurance unless you "agree to pay [your] medical bills out of [your] own pocket", which apparently means that the state would garnish your wages.

Relatively speaking, this plan does allow more choice than any single-payer program suggested.

I don't see why.
Why can't I just pay a doctor out of my own pocket without the state keeping my wages?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2005, 11:09:47 AM »

I don't see why.
Why can't I just pay a doctor out of my own pocket without the state keeping my wages?

I would imagine that's still an option - I'd make the wage garnishing an option only after the person shows they aren't gonna pay directly.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2005, 02:28:09 PM »

Source

Excellent, as far as I can tell.  Any opinions?

Forcing deadbeats to pay up is difficult. They usually don't have any money, or keep it well hidden. Just eliminate free hospital care. Then they can either pay or not get treated.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies