Bush flip-flops on private accounts
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:14:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Bush flip-flops on private accounts
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bush flip-flops on private accounts  (Read 650 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 22, 2005, 01:49:50 PM »

Senate Republican balks at Bush's private accounts

By Adam Entous  |  June 21, 2005

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A U.S. Senate Republican said on Tuesday President Bush had encouraged him to introduce Social Security legislation that omits Bush's signature proposal for private retirement accounts in a bid to break the legislative logjam.

Sen. Robert Bennett of Utah said Bush's preference was to have private accounts included in Social Security legislation. But the senator quoted the president as telling him: "I like your bill."

"The president is on top of this and is fully aware of what we are doing and is encouraging me to go forward," Bennett told reporters after a closed-door session with Bush and other Senate Republicans at the White House.

White flag at the White House?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 01:57:27 PM »

A surrender is not a flip-flop. It's a loss. This isn't even that.

Bush needs to take what he can on Social Security, so he can move on to tax reform when his blue ribbon tax panel reports it recommendations in September.

Any plan that includes personal accounts will have to wait until 2007.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 01:58:47 PM »

A surrender is not a flip-flop. It's a loss. This isn't even that.

Bush needs to take what he can on Social Security, so he can move on to tax reform when his blue ribbon tax panel reports it recommendations in September.

Any plan that includes personal accounts will have to wait until 2007.

By 2007 his window will be gone because of midterm defeats, unless competitive two party elections have become a thing of the past.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 02:01:59 PM »

I highly doubt there will be much in the way of midterm defeats.  Congress will stay mostly unchanged because, yes, two party elections in fact are a thing of the past in most districts.

George Bush couldn't sell a band aid to a first aid kit.  That's why his social security plan has been beaten.  It certainly wasn'tthose wily Democrats and their naunced strategy of saying 'no' to everything.  For this reason, his tax reform plan will likewise fail.

Oh, and he can't manage congress.  They run free and have for five years.  Bush is the worst manager of congress since the late 19th Century.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 02:05:10 PM »

I highly doubt there will be much in the way of midterm defeats.  Congress will stay mostly unchanged because, yes, two party elections in fact are a thing of the past in most districts.

George Bush couldn't sell a band aid to a first aid kit.  That's why his social security plan has been beaten.  It certainly wasn'tthose wily Democrats and their naunced strategy of saying 'no' to everything.  For this reason, his tax reform plan will likewise fail.

Oh, and he can't manage congress.  They run free and have for five years.  Bush is the worst manager of congress since the late 19th Century.

Yes, he manages it very poorly since he apparently lost his veto pen.

No, it wasn't the Democrats that beat social security. It was the GOP itself-- their base has little interest in reducing government welfare programs, since it is now the party of big government.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2005, 02:11:57 PM »

I expect the GOP to lose seats in the House, and gain seats in the Senate, the latter being the branch of the legislature that matters.

Social Security is a much more sensitive issue than tax reform, the latter not even needing selling.

A majority of Republicans support Social Security reform. A majority of Democrats oppose it. Some people seem to have trouble reconciling their opinions with reality.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005, 02:15:10 PM »

I expect the GOP to lose seats in the House, and gain seats in the Senate, the latter being the branch of the legislature that matters.

Social Security is a much more sensitive issue than tax reform, the latter not even needing selling.

A majority of Republicans support Social Security reform. A majority of Democrats oppose it. Some people seem to have trouble reconciling their opinions with reality.

The Republicans seem a lot less united on major bills to reform of cut government spending than bills to increase it. Remember when House leaders lied to members, fabricated reports, bribed, blackmailed, and basically prostituted themselves freely in order to get the prescription medication bill passed? Not that I'm complaining, except for their hypocrisy, but they seem to be a lot less zealous now.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2005, 02:52:05 PM »

I'm glad. Maybe now we can move on to true social security reform, which is simply not allowing anyone else into the system.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies