Trump: "Could be necessary" to Break U.S.-Japan Defense Treaty
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:08:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Trump: "Could be necessary" to Break U.S.-Japan Defense Treaty
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Trump: "Could be necessary" to Break U.S.-Japan Defense Treaty  (Read 1757 times)
Sir Tiki
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.28, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 06, 2016, 09:16:40 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/05/donald-trump-savages-japan-saying-all-they-will-do-is-watch-sony/
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 09:34:52 AM »

I guess I understand why he is frustrated (I assume here that Article 9 is a holdover from World War II), but a treaty is a treaty, and we have to keep our word.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 09:37:01 AM »

What a ing idiot.
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 10:01:08 AM »
« Edited: August 06, 2016, 10:04:34 AM by Seriously? »

I don't understand why this should be controversial. Japan is not the Japan of 1945. The fact that we have to defend them and not let them defend themselves is very costly.

Renegotiating for either a better payment to cover our costs or allowing Japan to defend themselves will help reduce the deficit.

The world has changed a lot since 1945. Our thinking should change along with it.

Trump is not wrong here. Those of you on the left that cry for a smaller military budget should be applauding this, quite frankly.
dspNY
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 10:35:10 AM »
« Edited: August 06, 2016, 10:37:57 AM by dspNY »

I don't understand why this should be controversial. Japan is not the Japan of 1945. The fact that we have to defend them and not let them defend themselves is very costly.

Renegotiating for either a better payment to cover our costs or allowing Japan to defend themselves will help reduce the deficit.

The world has changed a lot since 1945. Our thinking should change along with it.

Trump is not wrong here. Those of you on the left that cry for a smaller military budget should be applauding this, quite frankly.

No it is bat**** insane because we are actually the ones keeping Japan restrained here. If Japan were left to its own devices and the US let them revoke Article 9 of their constitution they and China would be going to war within a decade. Read some Asian history for goodness sakes.

Japan would also have a beef with South Korea (although not to the same extent) and the entire region would be destabilized
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 10:50:09 AM »

Trump doesn't understand Asian geopolitics.

A Japan that is rearming would scare the bejeezus out of China, and we'd soon have an arms race in East Asia similar to the arms race that led to World War I.
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2016, 12:02:44 PM »

No it is bat**** insane because we are actually the ones keeping Japan restrained here. If Japan were left to its own devices and the US let them revoke Article 9 of their constitution they and China would be going to war within a decade. Read some Asian history for goodness sakes.

Japan would also have a beef with South Korea (although not to the same extent) and the entire region would be destabilized
So let me get this straight. I am supposed to not trust detante, but trust a strong China (enemy) over a weak Japan (ally). Do you really think that 1940s-style Asian hatred is really going to prevail here? Or do you think that Japan and China know that they are interspersed with each other in this global economy.

I'd bet the later.

Personally, I'd prefer a strong Japan and a weak China. But I don't trust China very much.

The U.S. backstop of Japan costs a heck of a lot of money. It should be renegotiated and reexamined.
dspNY
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2016, 12:07:55 PM »
« Edited: August 06, 2016, 12:10:06 PM by dspNY »

So let me get this straight. I am supposed to not trust detante, but trust a strong China (enemy) over a weak Japan (ally). Do you really think that 1940s-style Asian hatred is really going to prevail here? Or do you think that Japan and China know that they are interspersed with each other in this global economy.

I'd bet the later.

Personally, I'd prefer a strong Japan and a weak China. But I don't trust China very much.

The U.S. backstop of Japan costs a heck of a lot of money. It should be renegotiated and reexamined.

Actually Japan is essential to American defense. Japan, South Korea, Taiwan and the Philippines contain China (and NK) geographically from projecting military power.

By leaving Japan to its own devices you create a stronger China, not a weaker one since it gives China the green light to control the entire Far East. China will arm up to the teeth fivefold once we draw back from the Pacific
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2016, 12:10:20 PM »

Japan can not be trusted.  Best to keep them on a short leash, with a boot on the throat.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2016, 01:07:07 PM »

This is bad. Most of Trump's younger supporters are completely dependent on anime.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2016, 01:22:19 PM »

I'd bet the later.
Japan is not an ally/protectorate of the US because God ordained it so. It's an ally/protectorate because the US needed to secure dominance of the Pacific after the war. Japan no longer being a US ally/protectorate will pursue its own agenda independently of the US.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Personally, I'd prefer kittens and bunnies for everyone. But, China is now strong and will only become stronger. A Japan without US support will try to confront China for about a decade before reality kicks in. After which, the western Pacific becomes the Greater East China Sea.

I'm surprised no one has asked him about Taiwan yet. I can't wait to hear it!

"Taiwan? They're part of China anyways. Let them have it if Taiwan doesn't pay us. I don't care."
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2016, 01:26:10 PM »

Christ, people. Trump refuses to categorically rule anything out. That's his thing. It's not inherently bad nor worth getting uppity about every time it happens.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2016, 01:38:48 PM »

Christ, people. Trump refuses to categorically rule anything out. That's his thing. It's not inherently bad nor worth getting uppity about every time it happens.
But openly talking about unilaterally breaking promises raises questions about his fitness to lead. If he really wished to find a better deal with Japan, he'd firmly respect the existing treaty and then seek to "update" it once president.

Openly talking about breaking the treaty unilaterally merely emboldens those with long-standing beefs with Japan. And for what end? If push comes to shove, either WW3 starts or Japan becomes a Chinese protectorate.

Put it differently, would Trump say he will walk away from the US commitment to defend Israel unless "those filthy Jews pay us back"? Why not?
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2016, 01:42:07 PM »

It could be necessary to repeal the First Amendment. Has Trump ruled that out? It might stop people from getting uppity every time he's open to something.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2016, 01:50:38 PM »

Trump is like that one really big tool in high school who acts like he knows everything about anything but still doesn't understand how women can pee.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2016, 02:03:15 PM »

Nothing the Republicans do make the Democrats happy, they're always pissed at the opposition because they want to dominate everything. It's that simple.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2016, 02:07:51 PM »

Trump is stuck in the 80's when Japan was taking American jobs.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2016, 02:15:41 PM »

Nothing the Republicans do make the Democrats happy, they're always pissed at the opposition because they want to dominate everything. It's that simple.
What? I really don't think this comment makes any sense here specifically or in general. There's a completely logical reason one might not like a presidential candidate approaching diplomacy this way, and the Dems are no more likely to oppose for its own sake than the GOP.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2016, 02:39:08 PM »

Trump is stuck in the 80's when Japan was taking American jobs.

Does Mendacious Miller even know what year it is?

Dementia.
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2016, 02:42:59 PM »

What? I really don't think this comment makes any sense here specifically or in general. There's a completely logical reason one might not like a presidential candidate approaching diplomacy this way, and the Dems are no more likely to oppose for its own sake than the GOP.
Just curious, what are Japan's alternatives to the US wanting to renegotiate the treaty? Who has the power in this situation? The US or Japan? Should that power be leveraged to get a better deal that covers costs? Or is Japan entitled to a free ride?
JRP1994

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2016, 02:50:45 PM »

Just curious, what are Japan's alternatives to the US wanting to renegotiate the treaty? Who has the power in this situation? The US or Japan? Should that power be leveraged to get a better deal that covers costs? Or is Japan entitled to a free ride?

Trump insulted one of our closest allies by implying they don't care what happens to us. There's a term for that that George W Bush used to hammer John Kerry in 2004..... what was it......

Oh yes. "Denigrating an alliance"
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2016, 03:27:52 PM »

This doesn't respond to my point at all, so I'll give your comments the same kindness.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2016, 04:34:38 PM »

Why does Trump have such contempt for our allies?
OwlRhetoric

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2016, 04:48:50 PM »

Time for allies to pay up or shut up. We're tired of subsidizing everybody else's welfare state by giving them free defense.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2016, 05:24:51 PM »

Time for allies to pay up or shut up. We're tired of subsidizing everybody else's welfare state by giving them free defense.

I have to chuckle when people think that these countries are just free-loading and the US is getting nothing out of these treaties.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies