August 2016 North Gubernatorial Debate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 02:04:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  August 2016 North Gubernatorial Debate
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: August 2016 North Gubernatorial Debate  (Read 1135 times)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 06, 2016, 06:20:55 PM »

Kingpoleon has asked me to host a gubernatorial debate, with whatever rules I decide.  So far, Flo has agreed.  I have yet to hear from RGN, but assume he will take part.

In the interests of time, the debate will start today with opening statements.  After that, we will proceed to questions.  Each candidate will have 1 day to respond to the question or questions in each round.  They will also have the ability to rebut their opponents during that period as they see fit.  We will then proceed to additional questions.  Since this is the first gubernatorial term of the new North, I expect to have many questions.

Kingpoleon, Flo and RGN, please make your opening statements.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 07:30:56 PM »

Thank you, cinyc, for hosting this debate. I thank my opponents for their participation in this display of democracy.

My main goals going forwards are clear: a regulatory commission to monitor economic regulations, a healthcare commission intended to keep costs at minimum and quality at maximum, and economical growth. My administration as Governor will never stop fighting for the betterment of its citizens. We will not leave the weakest behind. Instead, our slowest members will be energized and set the pace.

I have neither the experience nor the name recognition of my opponents. However, I assure you, I will not allow that to set me back. Instead, I will use my unique approach to leadership and legislation to guide the North through this transitional period.
Former Lincoln Assemblyman & Lt. Gov. RGN
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix
E: 2.31, S: 4.47

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 12:57:56 AM »

People of the North, I come to address to you as an ordinary citizen, not as a politician of some sorts.

Thank you, cinyc, for making this possible along with Mr. Kingpoleon.

Regarding my gubernatorial stint, a lot of my promises or goals went "unattended" because of some reasons. I will just tell you the main reason , it is because of the constitutional convention. I know that it will be unnecessary if we will push those plans. I promise to put up those who are below, to the top so that we can achieve peace and prosperity. I will also utilize the citizens to become agents of change along with the government. Government is not the only one working to achieve the goals that we've set, the people also do. In my term, people will be  at the forefront of the New North. They're not only simply voters, they're destined to become leaders as well.

To put those in simple words, I will empower people's initiative. What this means, if the people calls for something, they need to meet the number of signatures needed in order for it to be put in the ballot. We can't simply make the government meddle with everything, we need to empower the society to indirectly participate in government activities. The people's initiative can make our region a stabilized and a new one, gearing towards a New North.

I also utilized my short stint in the gubernatorial post to see how I will make the new assembly working together with the people and the government as a whole. I see that it is not party lines that will make them work, it is teamwork that will make all things go forward. I have a party, but I will make sure that I will be open to all people regardless of party label. Others see me as an inactive governor, but as I've said, most things became impossible to push through because of the constitutional convention. It is not a bad thing, although it gave me time to think of what will the new region needs the most. And as I'm speaking now, I know that people empowerment is what the people need. Transparency is the answer. It's not only I who will lead the North towards the New North, but all of us will have a chance to become agents of change.

We will never leave people behind, we will put them up in order for them to feel also what will be the New North soon, if you will make the right choice. Thank You and May God bless Atlasia and the New North!
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 05:27:01 PM »

It's really nice to have a debate with some of the most qualified people for this position, and I'm really thankful for cinyc offering to moderate this debate and for RGN and Kingpoleon to be here as well! Smiley

I'm just going to get to the point of my whole campaign, which is to fight for the worker and the common person. No matter who you are, where you come from, or what you've done, you should be able to live your life freely and to have a government that actually helps our citizens.

During my campaign I've focused on ending the chronic homelessness that we face in many of our cities. In New York City, for example, there are 75,000 men, women, and children who do not live in a home. 14% of Atlasia's homeless population is in that one city alone, and there needs to be some big, bold changes to bring that number down to 0. When it snows, these people many times have nowhere to go, many even freeze during the harshest nights of the winter. Many of these people are children, some who are there because of their parent's financial situation and some because their parents kicked them out simply for being different. This is a serious problem that needs to be addressed, because no one, especially our kids, should be out in the street freezing to death.

Another goal of mine is to bring about more government transparency and ending corruption in our government and our financial systems, because for too long those at the top have completely taken advantage of the public and shown that they care about profits over people. There are a lot of self serving people in these institutions and I plan to bring light to them and to prosecute these offenders to the furthest extent of the law. There is no room for corruption and fraud in a Flo administration.

I hope that the voters of the North can consider voting for me, no matter if you're a liberal, a conservative, or a moderate hero, because not only do I have extensive legislative and executive experience, I have plans for this region that will make it the region where others look to for inspiration. "How can we be as well off as the North?" is something I want to hear from those in other regions because we have so much potential and there's so much we can do, and I promise to make this happen. 

Thank you so much.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 08:38:13 PM »

Thank you for your opening statements. 

Question 1: With a clean slate in Atlasia and the North, the next governor will have the opportunity to set initial policies in many areas, including taxation.  What is your tax plan?  What types of taxes will you impose, and which will you decide not to impose?  Please be specific.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2016, 11:05:51 PM »

Our tax system will be decided with the advice and consent of the legislature. My preliminary plan is this:

$0-30,000: 0%
$30,001-50,000: 8%
$50,001-$75,000: 15%
$75,001-$125,000: 20%
$125,001-$150,000: 25%
$150,001-$175,000: 30%
$175,001-$500,000: 33.3%
$500,001-$1,000,000: 35%
$1,000,001-$10,000,000: 37.5%
$10,000,000+: 40%

Corporate taxes would be progressive per size. Sales tax would be 7.5%, with an exemption for necessities for those making under fifty thousand a year. Sales tax would be exempt for all veterans and soldiers alongside their spouse and children under the age of twenty-three. I would consider negotiating for environmental taxes and fracking taxes. I would prefer limitations on inheritance taxes and estate taxes.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 10:11:01 PM »

I will give Flo and RGN until 7PM Eastern tomorrow to answer the tax question.
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 11:36:54 AM »

Can I answer by Wednesday morning, est? I've been very busy in RL
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 05:15:16 PM »

Can I answer by Wednesday morning, est? I've been very busy in RL

You and Flo can certainly answer the question after tonight, if you so wish, but I will ask another question after 7PM.  Please try to answer both.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 11:35:33 PM »

Next question: 

What should be the capital of the North?  Why?  Or do you decline to take a position on the upcoming referendum?
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2016, 08:27:37 PM »

I have no concrete plans for taxation at this point, really the most I can offer is these income tax brackets that I think would be best:

$0-$18,999: 0%
$19,001-$39,999: 7%
$40,000-$59,999: 15%
$60,000-$89,999: 19%
$90,000-$134,999: 23%
$135,000-$189,999: 27%
$190,000-$264,999: 31%
$265,000-$349,999: 33%
$350,000-$499,999: 35%
$500,000-$999,999: 37%
$1,000,000-$4,999,999: 40%
$5,000,000-$9,999,999: 43%
$10,000,000+: 47%

The actual tax plan though is completely up to what happens with the legislature though and I'd like to talk to users who are *very* experienced the tax codes so something better can be produced in our legislative body.

I'm pretty biased but I want Philadelphia to be the next capital of the region 😂
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2016, 07:42:37 PM »

I want New York City to remain the capital of our region. Our Committeemen have chosen a city, and I stand by our decision. The opposition to this is merely radicalism under another name. In no uncertain terms do I say this: anyone supportive of moving the capital is either knowingly or unknowingly aiding and abetting a new coalition of radicalism. This new threat is the same ideology and has the same foundation as the old radicalism. It merely differs in its presentation of its ideology.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2016, 12:16:27 AM »

I'm going to give RGN until 8PM tomorrow to answer the questions on the floor before I ask my next question.
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2016, 05:06:49 PM »

About the tax plans, here is something that I can offer at this point. Income tax brackets

$0-$24,999: 0%
$25,000-$35,999: 6.5%
$36,000-$49,999: 13%
$50,000-$69,999: 17%
$70,000-$124,999: 27%
$125,000-$179,999: 28%
$180,000-$254,999: 30%
$255,000-$339,999: 31%
$340,000-$489,999: 33%
$490,000-$999,999: 34%
$1,000,000-$4,999,999: 36%
$5,000,000-$9,999,999: 37%
$10,000,000+: 40%
My position is mostly the same with Mr. Kingpoleon

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I would like the capital to remain in New York City. Why? Because most of the government facilities are there (for the previous Northeast region) and it would be useless if they go to waste. Starting over doesn't mean that we should start from scratch. We can always use the old facilities and improve them Smiley Although I'll stand / respect with the decision of our people in this weekend's election. And as my fellow Committee-mate Kingpoleon said, it is all about ideology that they want something different
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2016, 06:20:08 PM »

Thank you for your answers.  My next question is:

Many regions before the reset legalized polygamy and plural marriage.  After the reset, those are illegal, at least for now.  What is your position on legalizing polygamy and plural marriage?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2016, 06:51:14 PM »

Polygamy and plural marriage are very, very complicated. If two people engage in a marriage, it may be wise to ask if they wish for a license that does not allow further marriages. Plural marriages cannot be engaged in without the consent of all partners. Besides that, it's perfectly fine with me legally. 

The denial of rights because something is "different" or "abnormal" or "a break from tradition" is not a new idea. It is an old idea of bigotry used against voting rights for minorities, interracial marriage, and gay marriage. However, this has a large historical history, some of it even documented in the Bible.

We cannot allow the denial of basic human rights - the same opportunity to marriage, family, friends, and beginning the same as anyone else. To do so would be a severe misstep. I understand you may not agree with me on this position or others, but at least I make it clear what my intentions are, however unpopular they may be.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2016, 03:19:58 PM »

Many regions before the reset legalized polygamy and plural marriage.  After the reset, those are illegal, at least for now.  What is your position on legalizing polygamy and plural marriage?

nah to legalization (evil socon)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2016, 03:21:48 PM »

Um... Are you serious?
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2016, 03:49:40 PM »

Um... Are you serious?

Yeah, I'm just not in favor of marriages between 3+ people.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2016, 08:58:13 PM »

Next question (though the debate on polygamy can continue and RGN can still answer that question concurrently with this one):

After the reset, drugs are largely illegal in Atlasia.  What is your position on drug legalization?  Should all drugs be legal or just some?  Do you support full marijuana legalization, legalization of medical marijuana or keeping marijuana illegal?  And if you want to keep some drugs illegal, what should be the penalty for possession and sale?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2016, 09:03:41 PM »

I'm supportive of staggering in marijuana legalization. Let's say we begin with major decriminalization and the release of those for whom possession is their only crime. Dealing is another thing. We would definitely begin medical marijuana at the same time. After that is the case for three months or so, we would allow non-medical marijuana with strictly regulated intake. Similar drugs for legalization could under go a similar process if anyone actually pushes for it.
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2016, 04:42:06 PM »

I'll answer first the polygamy question

No. Straight no for those civilly wed. But as governor, I may recognize those who are wed by religion (if the religion allows polygamy and plural marriage)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2016, 09:46:03 PM »

Next question:

What do you think the role of the North should be in setting health care policy?  Should this be left to Nyman, or should the North have its own health care policy?  If the North should set its own policy, what should that policy be?
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2016, 11:41:29 PM »

Next question (though the debate on polygamy can continue and RGN can still answer that question concurrently with this one):

After the reset, drugs are largely illegal in Atlasia.  What is your position on drug legalization?  Should all drugs be legal or just some?  Do you support full marijuana legalization, legalization of medical marijuana or keeping marijuana illegal?  And if you want to keep some drugs illegal, what should be the penalty for possession and sale?

Marijuana/soft drugs should be legalized, all drugs should be decriminalized and our access to rehab centers should receive dramatically increased funding to get more qualified doctors and more effective facilities in place.

Next question:

What do you think the role of the North should be in setting health care policy?  Should this be left to Nyman, or should the North have its own health care policy?  If the North should set its own policy, what should that policy be?

I am strongly in favor of an NHS styled healthcare system, I'd rather it be controlled by the federal government than the regional government but I'd do everything in my power to make sure that the people of the North are guaranteed healthcare.
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2016, 05:25:30 AM »

Not all legal. My vision is to put in each hospital a section that will determine: if a person requested for medical drugs (e.g. medical marijuana), he or she must be qualified for it. He/She must undergo tests before he/she will be given that drug that can be classified as illegal. I don't want to see "recreational drugs (this includes recreational pot/marijuana)" in the North. I support legalization of medicinal marijuana as well as other medical drugs, as well as, stricter measures for qualification.  Possession and sale of recreational drugs, as well as other illegal drugs can lead to imprisonment, forced rehab, and other heavy penalties.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies