Best possible Democratic candidates for 2018?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:36:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Best possible Democratic candidates for 2018?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Best possible Democratic candidates for 2018?  (Read 1952 times)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 06, 2016, 06:46:54 PM »

Arizona - Janet Napolitano won't run, Ann Kirkpatrick (if she loses), Gabrielle Giffords or Mark Kelly (if they can/are interested)
Mississippi - Ronnie Musgrove, Travis Childers, Ronnie Shows, Mike Espy
Nebraska - Bob Kerrey or Brad Ashford
Nevada - Harry Reid won't run, Dina Titus
Tennessee - Jim Cooper, Phil Bredesen
Texas - Julian Castro, Joaquin Castro, Lloyd Doggett, or any of the big city mayors
Utah - Jim Matheson
Virginia - Terry McAuliffe
Wyoming - Dave Freudenthal

Of course, most of these won't run, and Utah, Miss., Texas, and Wyo. are unwinnable.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 07:10:47 PM »

TN and NE are unwinnable for Democrats as well.

As for the other states:

Arizona -Richard Carmona
Virginia - Mark Herring
Nevada - Dina Titus
McAuliffe is under investigation, so Herring is better. Former Lieutenant Governor and incumbent Congressman Don Beyer (VA-08) is also a possibility. Democrats have (as of now) really only two potential pickups (NV and AZ), and the latter is somewhat of a longshot.
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 12:48:25 AM »

California: Anyone but Feinstein. She'll be 85 on Election Day, 2018. She should've retired in 2012.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 12:54:31 AM »

California: Anyone but Feinstein. She'll be 85 on Election Day, 2018. She should've retired in 2012.

She should definitely get some Democratic primary competition. Too bad she won't.
BL53931
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 10:55:53 AM »

I live in NE. Brad Ashford will probably win his race his November but so far as I know has no ambitions to run inn any statewide race. Bob Kerrey will not be coming back here to run again; 2012 was the end of the road for him politically.
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2016, 01:28:54 PM »

She should definitely get some Democratic primary competition. Too bad she won't.

Either that or she will retire.
JMT

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2016, 03:20:34 PM »

Arizona - Janet Napolitano won't run, Ann Kirkpatrick (if she loses), Gabrielle Giffords or Mark Kelly (if they can/are interested)
Mississippi - Ronnie Musgrove, Travis Childers, Ronnie Shows, Mike Espy
Nebraska - Bob Kerrey or Brad Ashford
Nevada - Harry Reid won't run, Dina Titus
Tennessee - Jim Cooper, Phil Bredesen
Texas - Julian Castro, Joaquin Castro, Lloyd Doggett, or any of the big city mayors
Utah - Jim Matheson
Virginia - Terry McAuliffe
Wyoming - Dave Freudenthal

Of course, most of these won't run, and Utah, Miss., Texas, and Wyo. are unwinnable.

Arizona: I agree with the ones that you wrote, I would also add Kyrsten Sinema to that list. She is more likely to run than Napolitano or Kelly/Giffords, and she'd be a credible candidate.
Mississippi: Jim Hood would likely be Democrat's best candidate, he's proven he can win in deep red MI. He won't run though, and he'd still lose a Senate race.
Nebraska: Brad Ashford, but he'll probably run for reelection instead. Pete Festersen, an Omaha City Councilman who briefly ran for the seat Ashford now holds, could be a strong recruit as well.
Nevada: I agree with Dina Titus. Possibly Ross Miller, but he may run for Governor instead. Maybe Ruben Kihuen if he wins NV-04 in the fall (which I expect he will).
Tennessee: I agree with you, but neither will run (and neither could win).
Texas: Joaquin Castro. He's made some noise about running in 2018, he's the most likely candidate and would be formidable (even though he'd probably lose to Cruz in the general).
Utah: Jim Matheson or Doug Owens
Virginia: Completely disagree with you about VA. I don't think McAuliffe would be a great candidate, he's not particularly popular in VA in has some ethics questions as of late. I also think he'll probably get a job in the Clinton administration when he's done as Gov.. I think Mark Herring would be the best choice, with Bobby Scott and Don Beyer as other possibilities.
Wyoming: I agree, but he won't run.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2016, 04:13:11 PM »

Arizona - Sinema; Napolitano would be a bad fit for a mid-term election after her Cabinet service
Nevada - Ross Miller
Texas - Julian Castro
Utah - Jim Matheson
Virginia - Mark Herring (assuming no Kaine)

Barring a totally disastrous Trump presidency, imo none of the other states are worth mentioning as potential Democratic pick-ups, except perhaps Maine and Vermont if they count.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2016, 10:51:06 PM »

Arizona: Mark Kelly/Gabrielle Giffords
Florida: Gwen Graham/Manny Diaz
Minnesota: Tim Walz/Chris Coleman
Nevada: Rory Reid
Tennessee: Jim Cooper
Texas: Henry Cuellar
Virginia: Tom Perriello
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2016, 05:34:29 PM »

New Jersey: If Menendez is indicted or resigns, Frank Pallone? Paul Sarlo? Steve Fulop?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies